Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jan 21, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #1,546 of 2,329
I found this one:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOxIdnn

It's shortest length is 20cm but cheaper than the woo one.

This can be interesting too:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mscOzo1

These stiff and hardened USB-C or Lighting connectors will break at their very ends once you start using them in pockets, especially the part which is connecting to your phone as it is heavier than S1. I've tried multiple cheapos (5$-20$), 90 degrees angled cables from ali express, they lasted longer than Lotoo original cable, but still after a month or so I was getting signal loses. If you will take care how S1 and your phone will sit in your pockets they might do the job and last long time, but personally I can't be bothered with such things when I'm out /exercising or when I need to text someone back I just pop out the phone. For this Woo Audio cable was the best, I got so lazy with it that I would even let S1 hang in weird angles when I was texting someone. For people who just can't be bothered with connectivity loss, forget Aliexpress.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,547 of 2,329
There are three options for usb c to usb c that I know of that are good quality.
I've ordered all 3.

Ddhifi tc05 (very nice and flexible)
Fiio LT-TC1 (a bit longer than ddhifi, also really flexible)
WooAudio Custom USB C Cable (dont have yet)

I've been using the ddhifi, I like its looks and flexibility the best with my paw s1. Have not compared sound wise.
These stiff and hardened USB-C or Lighting connectors will break at their very ends once you start using them in pockets, especially the part which is connecting to your phone as it is heavier than S1. I've tried multiple cheapos (5$-20$), 90 degrees angled cables from ali express, they lasted longer than Lotoo original cable, but still after a month or so I was getting signal loses. If you will take care how S1 and your phone will sit in your pockets they might do the job and last long time, but personally I can't be bothered with such things when I'm out /exercising or when I need to text someone back I just pop out the phone. For this Woo Audio cable was the best, I got so lazy with it that I would even let S1 hang in weird angles when I was texting someone. For people who just can't be bothered with connectivity loss, forget Aliexpress.

No doubt the DDHiFi and Fiio ones will arguable be better in other uses than the one I posted because of their additional flexibility, but other than the WooAudio cable, I wouldn't want to use any of those for in pocket duties. Again, because of the sharp angle that'll be placed just above the connector from the phone end. I snapped an in situ example of the one I'm using:

Lotoo Paw S1 on USB C cable - small.jpg

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #1,548 of 2,329
For on the go use only 90 degress angled cables should be considered. Woo audio ones are specifically made for that purpose. I don't know why they have photos in their website which doesn't match real product. Mine came in as an example below, with very thick plastic shielding. I tried to look for other similar products within EU, but couldn't find one. Not feeling confident now as I have sold it with S1 and if newly released L&P W2 proves to be without EMI noise and similar qualities to S1 I will have to re-order it again with all these US import taxes on top :/
lightning-to-usb-c--cable-adapter-2.jpg

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #1,549 of 2,329
Yes there will be
For on the go use only 90 degress angled cables should be considered. Woo audio ones are specifically made for that purpose. I don't know why they have photos in their website which doesn't match real product. Mine came in as an example below, with very thick plastic shielding. I tried to look for other similar products within EU, but couldn't find one. Not feeling confident now as I have sold it with S1 and if newly released L&P W2 proves to be without EMI noise and similar qualities to S1 I will have to re-order it again with all these US import taxes on top :/lightning-to-usb-c--cable-adapter-2.jpg
I want to buy W2 but there will be tax and 50 USD shipping.
But sacrifices can be made in the name of sound.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #1,550 of 2,329
Some update. Lotoo told me that they just got back from the MQA certification team in UK. The MQA firmware update should be available right after the Chinese New Year, i.e., early/mid Feb.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,552 of 2,329
Wow, after all that hinting during Christmas I would not be surprised if they meant New Year 2024 or so :)
Things seem quite bad at UK currently... I wanted to buy some products from Chord, but their factory is completely down. :sweat:

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #1,553 of 2,329
There is so much hype regards this MQA format, did anyone tried to down-sample MQA to lower quality 320 per say and test ? You can beat me with the stick, but I can't hear anything above 320kbps with my most resolving equipment and I believe just only small group of people can. If they re-master albums and encode it for MQA than for sure differences should be obvious, but if that's another shiny name for hi-res music their business would go down together with tidal. Another interesting part is that no other streaming services shown much interest in MQA

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,555 of 2,329
Jan 24, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #1,556 of 2,329
Anyone else find that the S1 sounds significantly better connected to a computer vs a mobile device? Had only used it on my ipad and iphone, but just connected it to my iMac and it totally opens up to another level.

I've found this to be true of most portable devices that do not have an internal power supply, i.e., draw power from the source... This is most likely due to phones having a sofware limit on how many volts it can output, whereas a computer can output as many volts as the device request. Normally 2v for these devices, while your phone is hovering around 1.4 maximum iirc.

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #1,557 of 2,329
Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #1,558 of 2,329
Here is a big question. I updated the fw, and able to connect S1 to my Win10 laptop running Tidal app for Windows where I can select under streaming option the following:

1611553964947.png

to enable MQA 4x unfolding in S1

1611554016408.png

BUT, this setting is only available on Tidal desktop app. When I go into Tidal android app on my phone, these settings are NOT available. So, how to get S1 w/MQA to work on the phone? I know many people are raving about UAPP app and using it for Tidal streaming. Is that the only way to be able to use S1 with a smartphone and MQA full unfolding? Is there a setting in UAPP app to make it work? Or is there another trick in original Tidal android app?

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #1,559 of 2,329
Here is a big question. I updated the fw, and able to connect S1 to my Win10 laptop running Tidal app for Windows where I can select under streaming option the following:

1611553964947.png

1611554016408.png

BUT, this setting is only available on Tidal desktop app. When I go into Tidal android app on my phone, these settings are NOT available. So, how to get S1 w/MQA to work on the phone? I know many people are raving about UAPP app and using it for Tidal streaming. Is that the only way to be able to use S1 with a smartphone and MQA full unfolding? Is there a setting in UAPP app to make it work? Or is there another trick in original Tidal android app?
On iPad, it says ofx x4 and it doesn’t allow efx to be used, besides it only makes one fold

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #1,560 of 2,329

1611553964947.png

1611554016408.png

It works with iOS devices as they do bitperfect output via USB. Android sends all audio through the Android audio stack, so it all gets resample. So, the only way to get MQA on an Android device is through STREAMING through UAPP. That is how Android works, unfortunately

Users who are viewing this thread

Back