Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jan 17, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,531 of 2,329
I'm thinking of getting one, I think more Cobalt than Red.

It's because I no longer want to deal with balanced outputs that sound better and are more powerful than the SE and force you to rewire every headphone / iem you buy.

But if S1 were actually better than Cobalt I would go for that, also considering how much I would save.
I haven't test Cobalt yet, but I guess SQ is better on the Cobalt side.

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,532 of 2,329
I haven't test Cobalt yet, but I guess SQ is better on the Cobalt side.

How do you come to this conclusion ? Cobalt did not impressed me at all, same aggressive approach as seen in multiple other dongles, not my cup of tea

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #1,533 of 2,329
It is a pretty good adapter with some quirks. On my iPhone 12 pro I have to plug it in like 3-5 times and wait till I finally get sound out of anything connected to it. It works but I don't think I've seen anyone complain about this on other iphones. I like it though. I would recommend it and the cable DDhifi sells with it.
C251BE1A-84BE-4A07-BC2C-D6FA3296E23F.jpeg
After more testing it would seem I possibly got a defective unit haha If I plug it in then push up on the adapter it instantly connects. Strange but It's consistent. I do like this setup and recommend it for those looking for something to attach to their iphone.

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #1,534 of 2,329
I have a/b tested and compared the S1 and the BTR5 for a couple of days through balanced output, without any EQ and trying low and high gain. I used Shuoer EJ07, iBasso IT01S and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32ohm through 3.5mm single ended output. I don't have power-hungry full size headphones because 90% of the time I use IEMs.

S1 has better sq imho, but BTR5 is more powerful (both have enough power but Fiio has more) and very practical and versatile. I think I will keep both because S1 sounds more clear, detailed and linear to me, while BTR5 sounds fuller.

I always use low gain but I have a doubt: is it better to use high gain and lower volume or low gain and higher volume?

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #1,535 of 2,329
I have a/b tested and compared the S1 and the BTR5 for a couple of days through balanced output, without any EQ and trying low and high gain. I used Shuoer EJ07, iBasso IT01S and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32ohm through 3.5mm single ended output. I don't have power-hungry full size headphones because 90% of the time I use IEMs.

S1 has better sq imho, but BTR5 is more powerful (both have enough power but Fiio has more) and very practical and versatile. I think I will keep both because S1 sounds more clear, detailed and linear to me, while BTR5 sounds fuller.

I always use low gain but I have a doubt: is it better to use high gain and lower volume or low gain and higher volume?
Did you try BTR5 only Bluetooth? USB DAC is definitely better, maybe wired it could sound as good as S1 ...

High gain on BTR5 introduces a lot of noise, with low gain the sound has always seemed much clearer and more detailed

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #1,536 of 2,329
They should add some better cables, since they're obviously 💩 compared to the otherwise fabulous product.
Like other people mine became flimsy too and have to bend it into one direction to avoid steady disconnects between UBS-DAC and device.
Would be sick if they could update cables via firmware...

Just get the ddhifi cable and call it a day.

Jan 18, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #1,537 of 2,329
If anyone wants a decent budget knock about IEM - the iBasso IT00 pairs really well with the S1. Just out walking the dog with that combo as I speak.....

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #1,539 of 2,329
Has someone been able to use the s1 with a windows 7 pc ? It doesn't work out of the nox, and I cant find drivers for it....
New Features with Firmware V1.0.0.6:-
>Added UAC1 mode that enables the DAC to be used with gaming consoles and windows 7/8 PCs.

How to Use UAC1 Mode:-
Hold the “+” key on Lotoo PAW S1 then connect to the gaming device, “UAC1 MODE” will be shown on S1 during booting.

Reconnect without “+” key held will switch back to normal mode(UAC2).

Please Note:-
In UAC1 Mode,Audio spec is fixed to 48KHz/16bit and no DoP is supported.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #1,540 of 2,329
New Features with Firmware V1.0.0.6:-
>Added UAC1 mode that enables the DAC to be used with gaming consoles and windows 7/8 PCs.

How to Use UAC1 Mode:-
Hold the “+” key on Lotoo PAW S1 then connect to the gaming device, “UAC1 MODE” will be shown on S1 during booting.

Reconnect without “+” key held will switch back to normal mode(UAC2).

Please Note:-
In UAC1 Mode,Audio spec is fixed to 48KHz/16bit and no DoP is supported.
Damn.. thanks I thought I was entering UAC1 mode by pressing down the FN key. Lol. Wondering why it wasn't working. 😅😅 I really should update/buy a new laptop.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #1,542 of 2,329
Anyone know if any of the EQ presets are a sub bass shelf?

you can view the EQ curves here:
https://www.klauseulenbach.de/2020/06/27/lotoo-paw-s1-filter-presets/

unfortunately it doesnt look like there is a any with a sub bass shelf, closest is "full bass"
s1_10_fullbass.png

Jan 20, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #1,543 of 2,329
My original Lotoo cable is holding up but even with minimal use from phone in pocket, the sharp angle and the additional weight of the S1 don't bode well for its longevity. So I spent a while trying to find a reasonably priced replacement and didn't have too much luck. Until that is, I realised you don't need an OTG cable where USB C to USB C is concerned; that made life somewhat simpler. Still finding a 90 degree C to C cable yields few results, they're out there, but only one end tends to be angled. I could live with that but I think a 3 ft cable (shortest I could find) is a tad unnecessary for this purpose. In the end I settled on this lil guy. Works perfectly and while it's not angled, the flat and springy rubberised cable mean it's not really an issue. Hope this can help others looking for a short, reasonably priced C to C cable, because I'm no tech n00b but it took me a while to find that you don't have to look for OTG specification as that was throwing me off!

Jan 20, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #1,544 of 2,329
There are three options for usb c to usb c that I know of that are good quality.
I've ordered all 3.

Ddhifi tc05 (very nice and flexible)
Fiio LT-TC1 (a bit longer than ddhifi, also really flexible)
WooAudio Custom USB C Cable (dont have yet)

I've been using the ddhifi, I like its looks and flexibility the best with my paw s1. Have not compared sound wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back