Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Jun 11, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #3,271 of 3,519
Not very. This is a movement in the direction of the AR-M2, towards a warmer and less neutral, more holistic sound. It has less dynamics, and the sound quality is generally inferior. I remember listening to my favorite metal on it and yawning - how boring and emotionless it was. But to each his own.
Oh wow, ok. Interesting. I was always under the impression the Gold 2017 was somehow deemed more emotive in its direction with a slightly sub-bass lift. I wouldn't expect it to compete on a technical level with Paw Touch (Ti), but just curious if it offered something tonally distinct. But if it's not as dynamic...and even boring....ouch.

BTW: certainly not looking to trade in Ti - far from it. I just love the form factor of the 2017 and also have a love of the old school UI, which I've been enjoying on the Paw 5000MK2. The 2017 model has been on my radar for years, and recent Lotoo purchases have only enflamed my interest.

Jun 11, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #3,272 of 3,519
Oh wow, ok. Interesting. I was always under the impression the Gold 2017 was somehow deemed more emotive in its direction with a slightly sub-bass lift. I wouldn't expect it to compete on a technical level with Paw Touch (Ti), but just curious if it offered something tonally distinct. But if it's not as dynamic...and even boring....ouch.

BTW: certainly not looking to trade in Ti - far from it. I just love the form factor of the 2017 and also have a love of the old school UI, which I've been enjoying on the Paw 5000MK2. The 2017 model has been on my radar for years, and recent Lotoo purchases have only enflamed my interest.
Its sound is a little bit different in terms of tonality, it's really going to be something different, not exactly the same.

It's really not as neutral and has a lower level of technicality than LPGT. So some people will find it a little more emotional. At the end of the day, the aftermarket price allows you to buy it, and it can be an interesting option. However, I personally would prefer something like the LP6k when it comes to similar prices. It's not that I don't like Paw Gold 2017, but it's not my sound at all, which, moreover, is not without its drawbacks in the form of dynamics, stage, plan separation, some monotony, etc. For me, these are too noticeable problems (in the sense that I probably pay too much attention to them because I can't ignore them) to put up with the player's sound.

Jun 13, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #3,273 of 3,519
Here's a question for LPGT users with amps: I find on my Ti, there's quite the difference in terms or connecting from SE vs balanced when connecting to an amp. Namely; SE seems to have higher output and sound somehow more "robust." Note, this is LO which in theory should be equal in terms of output. It may well be an idiosyncrasy of the amp I'm using (Mass Kobo) but if anyone else has observations of SE/balanced LO, I'd be delighted to hear.

Jun 13, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #3,274 of 3,519
Its sound is a little bit different in terms of tonality, it's really going to be something different, not exactly the same.

It's really not as neutral and has a lower level of technicality than LPGT. So some people will find it a little more emotional. At the end of the day, the aftermarket price allows you to buy it, and it can be an interesting option. However, I personally would prefer something like the LP6k when it comes to similar prices. It's not that I don't like Paw Gold 2017, but it's not my sound at all, which, moreover, is not without its drawbacks in the form of dynamics, stage, plan separation, some monotony, etc. For me, these are too noticeable problems (in the sense that I probably pay too much attention to them because I can't ignore them) to put up with the player's sound.
Thanks for this also. I did have the LP6K at one point, and liked it a lot, though found it wasn't the most dynamic sounding. In all likelihood, I probably will get the Gold 2017 because I'd never take the Ti out with me, so the Gold 2017 might be a compromise (that said, Paw 5000MK2 continues to impress me but the battery life is not ideal).

Jun 13, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #3,275 of 3,519
Here's a question for LPGT users with amps: I find on my Ti, there's quite the difference in terms or connecting from SE vs balanced when connecting to an amp. Namely; SE seems to have higher output and sound somehow more "robust." Note, this is LO which in theory should be equal in terms of output. It may well be an idiosyncrasy of the amp I'm using (Mass Kobo) but if anyone else has observations of SE/balanced LO, I'd be delighted to hear.
This is a predictable result of the SE output, as it does not give completely independent channels. And this is one of the limitations that the balanced exit eliminated. SE has less channel separation, so the sound is more coherent, smoother, less dynamic and less sharp. When it comes to the headphone output, two different amplifiers partially remove this problem, but there is no space for a solution on the LO.

Jun 13, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #3,276 of 3,519
This is a predictable result of the SE output, as it does not give completely independent channels. And this is one of the limitations that the balanced exit eliminated. SE has less channel separation, so the sound is more coherent, smoother, less dynamic and less sharp. When it comes to the headphone output, two different amplifiers partially remove this problem, but there is no space for a solution on the LO.
You're no doubt right, but does this explain why SE LO seems to produce a higher output than balanced even when they're both set to 2V?

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #3,277 of 3,519
Well, the inevitable happened and I ended up getting the last new/sealed Lotoo Gold 2017 from the good man Andrew at @MusicTeck (thank you, sir!)

First impression: the build on this little guy is off the charts! Super sturdy and the volume has a tactility that is simply top notch. Not sure (doubt it) if anyone is interested in a comparison between LPGT Ti and 2017, but can offer my own perspective if desired.

Also received: Lotoo's LE-M1 IEMs, which are very linear sounding, with solid technical performance, and super comfortable. No-one's going to confuse them for "fun" sounding IEMs, but for detailed sounding everyday IEMs, worth your consideration.

1130662.jpg1130667.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #3,278 of 3,519
Well, the inevitable happened and I ended up getting the last new/sealed Lotoo Gold 2017 from the good man Andrew at @MusicTeck (thank you, sir!)

First impression: the build on this little guy is off the charts! Super sturdy and the volume has a tactility that top notch. Not sure (doubt it) if anyone is interesting in a comparison between LPGT Ti and 2017, but can offer my own perspective if desired.

Also received: Lotoo's LE-M1 IEMs, which are very linear sounding, with solid technical performance, and super comfortable. No-one's going to confuse them for "fun" sounding IEMs, but for detailed sounding everyday IEMs, worth your consideration.

Wow! That seems to be an almost perfect (dap) trilogy...

I started out with the original LPG many years ago myself and switched to the LPGT (also because it could handle/support much more music files) later on. Still enjoying that last one on a daily basis :)

Congrats and happy listening with your new gear!

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #3,279 of 3,519
Wow! That seems to be an almost perfect (dap) trilogy...

I started out with the original LPG many years ago myself and switched to the LPGT (also because it could handle/support much more music files) later on. Still enjoying that last one on a daily basis :)

Congrats and happy listening with your new gear!
Thanks! (And please excuse the typos in my posting...long day).

Almost the perfect trilogy - except that it's incomplete without being a quadrilogy in the form of Lotoo Mjolnir...(well, I can at least dream of such a final act...!)

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #3,280 of 3,519

First impression: the build on this little guy is off the charts! Super sturdy and the volume has a tactility that top notch. Not sure (doubt it) if anyone is interesting in a comparison between LPGT Ti and 2017, but can offer my own perspective if desired.

1130662.jpg1130667.jpg

After your really positive feedback you've given about the Lotoo 2017, honestly
I had for mobile use reason also had a look at this device. So cool !

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #3,281 of 3,519
After your really positive feedback you've given about the Lotoo 2017, honestly
I had for mobile use reason also had a look at this device. So cool !
For mobile use only, I think it's very good. I would never take Touch Ti out and about - I'm cautious enough with it in the house, let alone outside. As mentioned, Paw 6000 is the natural alternative, but I did not find it terribly engaging. Paw Gold 2017 has considerably more forward presentation, which I'm a fan of.

Once the case comes for the 2017 model, I think it will work very well for travel/portable use. Smaller, pocketable, better battery life, feels immensely durable.

Of course, no streaming, no touch, clunky UI - but really not that much of an issue. Its success as a player depends on how well your files are organised. Once that's in place, it's fairly effortless. Plus, despite being 2017 old, the 2017 scans a 1TB card in just a few minutes.

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #3,282 of 3,519
except that it's incomplete without being a quadrilogy in the form of Lotoo Mjolnir...(well, I can at least dream of such a final act...!)

Well, if you have the budget for their upcomming Mjolnir, why not? :smile:

I picked up an (also semi-portable) AK ACRO earlier this year and especially love it with my headphones...
20230215_115713.jpg

But with my (C)IEMs I mainly stick to the (better sound quality and superb PMEQ) LPGT!
20230329_163317.jpg

Oh well... in the end it's all about enjoying our favorite music in the best way possible, right?

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #3,283 of 3,519
Well, if you have the budget for their upcomming Mjolnir, why not? :smile:
Don't quite have the budget yet, but hoping the sale of several more body parts (mostly my own) will get me to the last lap :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I picked up an (also semi-portable) AK ACRO earlier this year and especially love it with my headphones...
I did look at that when it first came out. Looks good, though I'm always put off by various reports I hear of AK after sale support and related bugs. But no doubt it sounds good!

Oh well... in the end it's all about enjoying our favorite music in the best way possible, right?
Truth!

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #3,284 of 3,519
I would never take Touch Ti out and about - I'm cautious enough with it in the house, let alone outside.
And why can't almost the most portable Touch Ti player be taken outside?)

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #3,285 of 3,519
And why can't almost the most portable Touch Ti player be taken outside?)
Nothing to do with portability - perfectly pocketable. Just not terribly at ease sipping my café noisette while completing the morning's crossword and simultaneously ensuring the Ti is free of grime, dust, croissant flakes, and other pollutants, human or otherwise :coffee::croissant:

Others in the Lotoo Ti camp might be braver than I :muscle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back