Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Oct 25, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #3,046 of 3,534
Highly recommend the C9 + LPGT pairing. It is my set up. @Amadeo Nospherathu should try one out, then your master leatherworker can make us more pieces. C9 could use some croc scales :wink:
If I had one on hand, this would indeed be a good option.
My friend made a great case for my CDM (it's actually a case not only for the CDM, but for a sandwich - CDM + Onkyo X1a as sources and iFi iEmatch on output) so doing something similar for the C9 wouldn't be a problem.

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #3,047 of 3,534
Let’s agree to disagree regarding the C9 not bringing anything up the chain with IEMs. I have a different take based on personal experience.

Agree about cables (or tips!) being a less cumbersome way or adjusting sound preferences.
Well, for the sake of clarity, I will say that this is nothing - it is mainly taste and only a little qualitative changes. I will emphasize when it comes to IEMs that are perfectly source controlled. Of course, when the power of the source is not enough, the C9 will do more.

For me, in the LPGT + Traillii or CA Solaris SE combo, the influence of C9 in the chain is very insignificant and I can do without it, because I can't say that its absence worsens the sound.
C9.Solaris.jpg

When we talk about the transistor + AB mode, its sound is quite transparent, and it is here that we can say that it does not add anything at all. This is a small extension of the dynamic range, as well as the width and depth of the stage, along with the positioning of the instruments.
And for me, this is not an incentive to add it to the chain and get a non-portable combo.
Not all combos require anything else, including an amp. This is their elegance.

However, if I wanted a device that could work well with both planars and IEMs, I'd look at it. Because today it is one of the best amplifiers for my taste. Among its minuses are weight and dimensions.

So yes, cables and tips are a less bulkier and more cheaper (at least the tips are still cheaper than the C9) way to tune the sound a bit.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #3,048 of 3,534
Hi all

With all the current offerings of other manufacturers DAP's and things just around the corner like the Hiby RS8, would you still purchase the Lotoo PAW touch now today?

Many thanks
Hi there! Well, just to chime in with my two pence here, I have owned the LPGT and am seriously considering to buy it again.
As mentioned already, its size and weight are far more in line with being actually pocketable and portable, unlike pretty much all of the latest flagship DAP releases.

Secondly, I believe its sound quality can still compete with (or exceed) the other top DAPs out there.
It's important to note that the LPGT offers a very pure, reference sound; neutral, but by no means sterile!
By contrast, most other DAPs will come across as fairly coloured.

This is also why some top reviewers use the LPGT for reviewing IEMs, despite having access to the latest DAP flagships; simply because it really presents the IEMs as they truly are, without misleading colouration.

Furthermore, if you google the LPGT or search on here, you'll see it has a very intelligently-designed hardware architecture, and features things like a discrete Blackfin processor which I haven't really seen offered on other DAPs.

Also, it has a blazingly fast startup time due to it using an in-house operating system.
And it hence has no Android; for me, as a confirmed Luddite and non-streaming user, this is a big bonus, but of course that's just me and YMMV :)

Finally, I can tell you that it had the singularly unique effect of making every IEM I plugged into it sound like it had been elevated one price tier higher.

So, in my humble opinion, it's still very much a world-class performer with a lot of unique qualities to recommend it, which still haven't been replicated by any of the more recent flagship DAPs in the market. I rue the day I ever sold it and long to have it back! :D

Just my thoughts, but I hope you find them helpful :)

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #3,049 of 3,534
Hi there! Well, just to chime in with my two pence here, I have owned the LPGT and am seriously considering to buy it again.
As mentioned already, its size and weight are far more in line with being actually pocketable and portable, unlike pretty much all of the latest flagship DAP releases.

Secondly, I believe its sound quality can still compete with (or exceed) the other top DAPs out there.
It's important to note that the LPGT offers a very pure, reference sound; neutral, but by no means sterile!

This is also why some top reviewers use the LPGT for reviewing IEMs, despite having access to the latest DAP flagships; simply because it really presents the IEMs as they truly are, without misleading colouration.

Furthermore, if you google the LPGT or search on here, you'll see it has a very intelligently-designed hardware architecture, and features things like a discrete Blackfin processor which I haven't really seen offered on other DAPs.

Also, it has a blazingly fast startup time due to it using an in-house operating system.
And it hence has no Android; for me, as a confirmed Luddite and non-streaming user, this is a big bonus, but of course that's just me and YMMV :)

Finally, I can tell you that it had the singularly unique effect of making every IEM I plugged into it sound like it had been elevated one price tier higher.

So, in my humble opinion, it's still very much a world-class performer with a lot of unique qualities to recommend it, which still haven't been replicated by any of the more recent flagship DAPs in the market. I rue the day I ever sold it and long to have it back! :D

I love my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. I use Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B headphones balanced and the DAP's power makes these inexpensive cans sound better than some $3,000 alternatives. I will always own a LPGT.

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #3,050 of 3,534

Thanks.

I stream everything using Tidal and own only a handfull of albums. Am I a fool considering this device if I were to use it just plugged into my phone.
Does seem like its not the best option givent that I really only stream.

Any advice

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #3,051 of 3,534
Thanks.

I stream everything using Tidal and own only a handfull of albums. Am I a fool considering this device if I were to use it just plugged into my phone.

Any advice
Headfi is a resource. Build your library, you won't regret it.

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #3,052 of 3,534
Everything you mention I agree with but especially this part. Having had a Sony NW-ZX507 Android DAP prior... true, it is not the most up to date hardware wise for Android DAPs but the sluggishness of the App use with updated Apps to play music from the SD card only, made it annoying to use. The LPGT with its own OS makes it usable with zero issues for as long as the hardware stands functioning.

I commented the above in some other Android threads when I had issues and it seemed like it was accepted to replace your DAP, much like your phone, every 2-4 years. While I applaud some individuals seamingly endless funds, this unusable death clock on another piece of expensive electronics that I just want to play flac files from, I couldn't agree with. LPGT is a clear winner in all aspects. Lotoo got it amazingly right.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #3,053 of 3,534

Oct 26, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #3,054 of 3,534
I am now eagerly waiting for the iFi Gold Bar to arrive. Curious about how such a little device stands against the aforementioned DAPs.

You have something nice to look forward to and by all means please feel free to let us know how it works out for you :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 26, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #3,055 of 3,534
You have something nice to look forward to and by all means please feel free to let us know how it works out for you :wink:
The Gold Bar should arrive on Friday. Looking forward to spending time with it over the weekend. Will post impressions on the iFi thread.

Oct 26, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #3,056 of 3,534
Thanks.

Any advice
As already mentioned, LPGT does not have streaming services.

Using it as a USB-DAC connected to your phone will not be very convenient if you use it in your pocket.
Desktop use... Well, it has that feature, but for its price, you can buy a large desktop system that will allow you to stream from your PC or smartphone or tablet.

So you either have to put up with the inconvenience or turn your attention to another device. However, if it is a streaming player, it will almost certainly be larger and heavier than the LPGT.
Or buy some small USB DAC for your phone. It will almost certainly be worse than LPGT, but smaller, more convenient and you will be able to use streaming services.

Oct 26, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #3,057 of 3,534
As already mentioned, LPGT does not have streaming services.

Using it as a USB-DAC connected to your phone will not be very convenient if you use it in your pocket.
Desktop use... Well, it has that feature, but for its price, you can buy a large desktop system that will allow you to stream from your PC or smartphone or tablet.

So you either have to put up with the inconvenience or turn your attention to another device. However, if it is a streaming player, it will almost certainly be larger and heavier than the LPGT.
Or buy some small USB DAC for your phone. It will almost certainly be worse than LPGT, but smaller, more convenient and you will be able to use streaming services.
Thanks, I just want the best sound I can get to lay on the sofa or bed with. It will probably never leave the house.
Yes how would this compair with the paw S2 in this configuration?

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #3,058 of 3,534
Thanks, I just want the best sound I can get to lay on the sofa or bed with. It will probably never leave the house.
Yes how would this compair with the paw S2 in this configuration?
It's not a bad device, but the LPGT will be incomparably better.
LP W2 is among the good devices of this form factor that I have heard. It has a very high-quality sound and it will not be a problem to connect it to a smartphone. But again LPGT is better.

Or if size and weight are not a problem for you, you can pay attention to players from other companies.
For example, modern top Astell&Kern players allow you to use streaming.
Or the recent hit Cayin N8-2, which has many sound settings, open Android and gives full access to any streaming, etc.
If I needed transportable (not portable) device for streaming, I'd go with the N8-2.

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #3,060 of 3,534
Hey guys,

I just tried updating my LPGT Ti, and the Lotoo is reporting an error. Can someone check their unit to see if this is a unit issue or a server issue. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back