Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #347 of 889
  Hi, this player seems a very interesting development when the Gold is currently out of my reach and similar level players such as FiiO need cabled IEM's etc. What isn't 100% clear to me reading through most of this thread is:

1 - Does it organise the music collection A-Z by file only or folder? I'm looking for folder so as to then play the whole album. What also is the max size of Micro-SD card and is there a specific make/brand of card to negate some of the issues I've read about? If album art is within tags (via a PC) but cannot be shown, any issues?

2 - Which IEM's or headphones without any additional amps etc - especially bluetooth - will comfortably power-wise be ok, that reflect a neutral sound that the player's controls can then allow for personalisation of the sound?

3 - How do you update the firmware and are there any issues anyone has found in doing so? What benefits have any updates brought? Do you use the Gold updates?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Do you use the Gold updates? - Answered

Does it organise the music collection A-Z by file only or folder? I'm looking for folder so as to then play the whole album. Answered - Looks like its still navigation by folder only

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #348 of 889
Hi guys.
I just received my paw5000 this morning. I found the headphone jack socket is kinda loose during the insert (pluging in). It does have a click locking feel at the end push. And when i pull out the headphone jack..it seems no pressure at all when it came out . So i used a torch to see whats going on inside the socket hole..and i see there is no tiny copper plate around the socket canal surface which i think it should be there. So i think this might be the problem of that loose. The player is working like normal if i plug the jack. But i just dont feel good about this.

Has anyone experienced this?

(Sorry if my english is not good enough in explaining)

Thanks

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #349 of 889
Chinese version has release note. Google Translate to rescue...

Upgrade 6.1.0.5 release content:
1, supports AIFF / AIF format
2, the lock screen long press the volume + - key 1.5S after the song, other circumstances Volume + -
3, USB communication into select "Communication", "take power", 10s after the disappearance, the default "take power."
4, volume window exists, the key take effect
5, support more than 4G file playback
6, TF card support exFAT format

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #350 of 889
Hi guys.
I just received my paw5000 this morning. I found the headphone jack socket is kinda loose during the insert (pluging in). It does have a click locking feel at the end push. And when i pull out the headphone jack..it seems no pressure at all when it came out . So i used a torch to see whats going on inside the socket hole..and i see there is no tiny copper plate around the socket canal surface which i think it should be there. So i think this might be the problem of that loose. The player is working like normal if i plug the jack. But i just dont feel good about this.

Has anyone experienced this?

(Sorry if my english is not good enough in explaining)

Thanks

My unit has a pretty solid connection. I would definitely look into this and talk to Lotoo about fixing it or replacing your unit somehow!

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #351 of 889
  Chinese version has release note. Google Translate to rescue...

Upgrade 6.1.0.5 release content:
1, supports AIFF / AIF format
2, the lock screen long press the volume + - key 1.5S after the song, other circumstances Volume + -
3, USB communication into select "Communication", "take power", 10s after the disappearance, the default "take power."
4, volume window exists, the key take effect
5, support more than 4G file playback
6, TF card support exFAT format

I was hoping for the lock screen play/pause implementation.  Oh well, maybe with a next update.  So, Jayce, are you planning to review it soon?  Btw, I'm "vectron" on XDA
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #353 of 889
Upgrade 6.1.0.5
Just done this...all seems to be fine.
BUT.
One thing that has been of concern since i got this unit is the track limit, it was a rather pathetic 8000 tracks max.
It has been reported that the upgrade would allow 20,000 (Better, but hardly what I was expecting given the advertised 2TB capacity).
Can anyone confirm the track limit?
Also, it seems micro cards can now be exFAT formatted. Is this a function of the onboard 'Format' or does exFAT have to be formatted remotely?

Ta!

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #354 of 889
Just managed to find a 'local' retail outlet selling these. The packaging though is totally different as in no big box meaning no extras like the armband etc by the looks of it and the shop had no cards loaded with music for me to listen to.

I'd really appreciate some feedback from owners to my previous questions on page 23 of this thread please.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #355 of 889
Hi puworld.
You can download the PAW 5000 User manual from here

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/lotoo-paw-5000-portable-lossless-digital-audio-player.html

Look in 'Downloads' . The pdf is in Englsh and explains simply how to update the firmware.

The main Lotoo site also has instructions.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #356 of 889
  Just managed to find a 'local' retail outlet selling these. The packaging though is totally different as in no big box meaning no extras like the armband etc by the looks of it and the shop had no cards loaded with music for me to listen to.

I'd really appreciate some feedback from owners to my previous questions on page 23 of this thread please.

Haven't used it with wireless headphones so can't help you there. Using my Heir Audio 8A balanced and it seems to run fine. Low gain with the damp function set to high. 

My box was pretty small too and did come with the armband. 

OQs3vAE.jpg

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #357 of 889
  Hi puworld.
You can download the PAW 5000 User manual from here

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/lotoo-paw-5000-portable-lossless-digital-audio-player.html

Look in 'Downloads' . The pdf is in Englsh and explains simply how to update the firmware.

The main Lotoo site also has instructions.

Going to go over and see that. When I looked at the main site, I could find nothing ref PAW 5000, only the Gold - weird. I'll look again.

Haven't used it with wireless headphones so can't help you there. Using my Heir Audio 8A balanced and it seems to run fine. Low gain with the damp function set to high. 

My box was pretty small too and did come with the armband. 

OQs3vAE.jpg

I am going to go back and take a piccy, open up the box and look inside. I would say the dimensions of the box I saw were approx 12 - 14cm sq at the most, and no more than 4cm deep/thick. From your top angle, yours looks deeper. Plus the box I quickly looked at looked as though it opened from the top rather than the whole front lifting off. But the image and text layout is the same on the front.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #359 of 889
  Lotoo PAW 5000 is available on ]Massdrop. Is it worth paying 300 USD ?

1 - Hi-Fi equipment is incredibly personal due to so many unknowns.
2 - We've no idea of your budgetary restraints
3 - We don't know what you want
4 - We don't know what you have
5 - We don't know what you like/prefer

You have to read through this thread along with threads that show the abilities of the comparing competition whether this be for example the FiiO X3ii / X5ii or the Sony Walkman A17.

Then find somewhere to compare them.

Then come back and tell us what you found, what you chose and why.

I do not yet own the PAW 5000, but at exchange rates that sounds like a good deal and worth taking the chance to get it - if you can afford 'not to like it' after it arrives.

My biggest concern up to now in buying a Lotto product is that despite asking the questions that would help me to make a better decision of the company's homepage as well as the registered user from the company here on this forum via PM, I have got absolutely no replies.  This in itself causes me a lot of concern as to how good they are at 'service' and 'after-sales'. And I live in the country where they are made!!!

Good luck :)

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #360 of 889
My biggest concern up to now in buying a Lotto product is that despite asking the questions that would help me to make a better decision of the company's homepage as well as the registered user from the company here on this forum via PM, I have got absolutely no replies.  This in itself causes me a lot of concern as to how good they are at 'service' and 'after-sales'. And I live in the country where they are made!!!

Good luck :)

I think with HiFiHeadphones (UK) and ALO Audio (US) and Penon Audio (CH) selling Lotoo DAPs, you will be able to get more support and help from distributors who have vested interest in selling and supporting these products.  HiFiHeadphones already has on-line user guide and will be hosting new firmware, as well as being very active in Head-fi community.

I know that Xiao Xiao (Lotoo's marketing manager) doing his best representing the company at different audio shows, but they need more people to improve their presence on Head-fi.

In reality, based on PAW 5000 I tested and reviewed (HERE) and PAW Gold I'm testing now to be reviewed sometime soon, these are already solid products with a mature firmware.  Of course, i would like more features to be added (playback control with screen off), but that is not a showstopper, just a convenience enhancement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back