Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #616 of 889
  I think to EQ or not to EQ is mostly philosophical, and you could argue for EQ on every headphone, amp, etc.... I prefer to tune with the headphone, but I do use EQ for specific cases on my DX50 as it has a bit of boost to midbass. I do think that his rating of the Lotoo PAW 5000 is based on liking a warmer, richer sound, as the Pono is definitely that. I also think he might be using the wrong kind of headphones for the Lotoo PAW 5000, as it has a fairly weak headphone output suitable for mostly IEMs. Lifeless is not an accurate description of the PAW 5000, in my view.

I would respectfully disagree. I (on my audiophile journey) have come to see this art as hearing a particular song to the very best it can sound, and when you think about it in terms of that, then pretty much every song benefits in someway to a EQ tweak, even if it's just a tad. Don't get me wrong... there are many many albums that derive little or any benefit from EQing, and in someways (on certain DAPs) EQing worsens things (such as Cowon's that produce hiss when tinkering with the bands).
But for me I have many albums and tracks that benefit from some kind of adjustment, whether it's pulling back bass or increasing it, reducing treble or just getting that better pairing with your favourite most comfortable headphone, I see EQ as a must nowadays.

The Alien Shozy has no EQ, sounds superb with some records, but if I admit and am honest the AP100 makes more of my collection perform better as I can tweak them.

The price for EQing like this tho is hassle. Either you find a DAP that has a dedicated EQ button (like the AP100) that makes this toggling easy, or you just put up with flat knowing that the current song being played could perhaps sounda tad better if u cbb with delving into menu settings etc.

For a few years now I have been longing for a EQ button, I cannot believe I had to wait till 2015 to get one :|

I am a freak, but so is Hidiz apparently lol.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #618 of 889
I have heard about one third of thes units. My rank ordering would be very different. I would not put the lotoo so high. I found the Pono competent but not exceptional

The hidden gem for me was the Shanling M2.

I think the FIIO X3 Ii punches high given its cost

Would agree that the Mojo is good stuff as referenced by others

Definitely depends on what kind of sound signature is desired

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #619 of 889
Aside from the boot up time, it's delightful... and I managed to affix a perfect film cover.  ...
At risk of being too OT, have you tried the newer firmware? It's supposed to address the startup speed. ...I've yet to workup the nerve to afix the screen protector. I didn't buy the leather cover.

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #620 of 889
At risk of being too OT, have you tried the newer firmware? It's supposed to address the startup speed. ...I've yet to workup the nerve to afix the screen protector. I didn't buy the leather cover.

I bought a film cover from another company that came with a proper, foolproof applicator.  As far as the newer firmware, there's still a long boot up time.  You get into the UI a bit faster, but the titles still haven't all loaded.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #621 of 889
Given the current Amazon price of these $180-200 depending on Prime or shipping, would these be worth picking up?  I only have one balanced dap which is the Hifiman HM700.  I have the 16GB version, and can't say I'm a fan of the background noise.  I'm curious about really giving balanced a try, and the size of this, features, and the low current price are all rather tempting.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #622 of 889
Greetings Everyone.

I have found this forum with alot of experienced people about this Lotoo unit, that currently I have problem with its pairing through bluetooth with another device.
Few days ago I bought Lotoo PAW 5000 and DENON AH - GC20 headphones (both have A2DP support), the problem started when I tried to establish connection throught Bluetooth between two devices, I did everything according to Bluetooth connectivity guide to activate Bluetooth streaming, after connection has been established, Lotoo could be controlled through headphones controll panel (next track, prev track, volume) but there is no sound in the headphones.
I really hope some of You guys have a possible solution to this.

Thanks For Your Time

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #623 of 889
Given the current Amazon price of these $180-200 depending on Prime or shipping, would these be worth picking up?  I only have one balanced dap which is the Hifiman HM700.  I have the 16GB version, and can't say I'm a fan of the background noise.  I'm curious about really giving balanced a try, and the size of this, features, and the low current price are all rather tempting.

Its decent enough for that price.

This can be easily justified.

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #624 of 889
Hi - I just picked up an open box one of these for transport with a mojo. It won't play 24bit files (16 bit files play fine). Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?  All in ALAC, on the same SanDisc card.  
confused.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #625 of 889
  Hi - I just picked up an open box one of these for transport with a mojo. It won't play 24bit files (16 bit files play fine). Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?  All in ALAC, on the same SanDisc card.  
confused.gif

all my 24bit files are FLAC format, you could try converting them to see if that works? What kind of optical cable are you using?

Sep 11, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #630 of 889

Let us know how it goes :)

I have already auditioned the P5K around a year ago when i was searching for a cheap balanced dap. I like it's lively treble. So far so good on my unit........and 2 hours in, my wife knocked it off my hands (sending it flying 3 meters away) no dings, no scratches and still working :)  purchased this primarily as my beater rig and to drive my Monk+'s
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back