Los Angeles Area Mega Meet, Saturday July 11th
Jun 16, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #31 of 245
Every attendee has received a PM regarding the vote for Ramada Inn or Marriott Hotel. So far it's leaning towards the Marriott.

This is the first meet I've organized so thank you for bearing with me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Now that I have a feel for how many people attend the meets, the next one I organize will be easier from the start.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #32 of 245
I mentioned it in PM, but this meet might be a good place to discuss setting up a LA regional meet.

The meet last October was successful, CanJam was the best ever, and there's lots of interest in this meet. Maybe it would make sense to hold a regional meet in the fall.

Also, it would be nice to give the CanJam organizers a well deserved break and let them just show up to and enjoy a meet. No running out to print more cards, set up tables or clean up afterwards.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #33 of 245
Absolutely agree Eric. We can start it off.

FIRST POST UPDATED TO REFLECT NEW AND FINAL VENUE.

Due to the majority of the votes I've received from all of you (at least 80%), we will have the meet at the Marriott in Warner Center. It is a very nice hotel and I'm personally glad we will have it there. If you want to see the very nice space it will be in, click on the link below, scroll to the bottom and check out the Ventura Room.

Warner Center Marriott Woodland Hills: Hotel deals, rates and availability in Los Angeles

The date and location have been locked in for Saturday, July 11th. We have Ventura C, which is one of the sections of the room and is 672 sq. feet. There is an air wall that will separate it from the other sections. As of now, no one else is occupying any other area of the room. Comes event time, if no one else has reserved the other sections in the room, we will be allowed to remove the air wall and really spread out all over the full 2,300 sq. ft. room.

Unfortunately as mentioned, no snacks and refreshments are allowed due to insurance purposes. If someone chokes on one of our own pretzels, they are liable.
biggrin.gif
They provide us with water and hard candy. So if we choke on their hard candy, it's okay because they will pay your family for your death.
k701smile.gif
They do offer snacks and refreshments but they are quite expensive ($39 for 12 cookies). There is a restaurant and a Starbucks in the hotel.

There is parking available in the parking structure and there is a loading dock with carts that we can bring our equipment up on. I have reserved the room from 9:30 a.m. until 9 p.m.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #34 of 245
First of all, a hearty thanks to PJ for organizing this. Can Jam Part II!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The date and location have been locked in for Saturday, July 11th. We have Ventura C, which is one of the sections of the room and is 672 sq. feet. There is an air wall that will separate it from the other sections. As of now, no one else is occupying any other area of the room. Comes event time, if no one else has reserved the other sections in the room, we will be allowed to remove the air wall and really spread out all over the full 2,300 sq. ft. room.

Well, I don't know if it's too late to do anything about it, but that air wall may not block sound very well from the other sections of the room. If they are holding a noisy meeting immediately adjacent to our section, we may be compromised.

I'll say a prayer to the God of Electricity that it doesn't happen. Or maybe we should scare everyone else away with the Demon of Electricity.
evil_smiley.gif

Also, I have many power strips. I don't know how I managed to accumulate so many in my life, but I can bring them. Just wondering, though, what is the impact on sound of a cheap power strip + surge protector? (I'm thinking of the surge protector mainly.)

-Mike

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #35 of 245
Don't worry about other people being noisy. She already promised me if that happened she would move us to our own, bigger room. I don't think there will be anyone else in the room with us, and neither does she. Weekends are not busy times for meets.
smily_headphones1.gif

There should be plenty of plugs but just like at CanJam we will need power strips and extension cords, so everyone please bring some. Poorly built strips can negatively affect the sound, and the same thing applies to power cords.

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #36 of 245
Well...I guess I can bring my Canjam raffle prize: Monster HDP 1800 PowerCenter. I don't think it improved anything on my setup though but I can monitor the line voltage on the built in LCD display.

What's the definition of poorly built strips? I have some Belkin strip/surge protector that I bought from Fry's when they were on sale for $0.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #39 of 245
Hi gyro,

Once the spots are full there will be no more available unfortunately. The first post explains why. Also, we don't want the room to be too crowded. However we will be doing a large meet in the fall if you are unable to attend this one, but I hope you are able to make it on July 11th. Check back with this thread daily to see how many are left.

Thanks.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #40 of 245
Phil,

Any chances you can beg for a few more weeks with the SPL Phonitor for the meet? It would be sweet to compare it to the Phoenix head-to-head. I'm sorely tempted to pre-order the Phoenix, but without a single review it's hard to take that plunge.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #41 of 245
Have fun you guys !

They'll be more than a few of us here living the vicarious experience of this event from the other end of our broadband connections.

beerchug.gif
cheers !

Peete.

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #43 of 245
I am interested in coming. I can bring: Beta 22 (balanced), HD650 (balanced, SAA Equinox), ATH-AD2000 (balanced, black dragon), Keces DA-151 Mk II, Little Dot Mk III. My only transport is my laptop.
If anybody wants me to, I can bring the lowly HD280's and my strangely malfunctioning DT770's with sound in one ear (no idea what the issue is, I think it's cable related)
I have an XTi and would bring it along with my quality lenses: 17-40L f/4 and 70-200L f/2.8.

I don't think it should be an issue but I'm 17 so I won't be having any of the beer and whatnot.

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #44 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested in coming. I can bring: .... ATH-AD2000 (balanced, black dragon)....

I really want to hear the ATH-AD2000!

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #45 of 245
I heard them at canjam and was pretty blown away so I just ordered a pair from another head fi'er. I am expecting great things. I will definitely have them before the meet (will prob get them sometime next week)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back