Looking to switch from IEMs to cans
Jan 24, 2013 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

johnsoft349

New Head-Fier
But I only want to spend 100 bucks, maybe a little bit more if necessary. 

I've been doing a lot of reading and it sounds like the Grado S80i's are popular for that price range, and very good. 

The one thing I'm worried about is that the sound signature will be too flat. I already have Westone UM3x, which are amazingly detailed with mild bass, and Sennheiser HD 280 pros, which are closed on ears that are obviously very flat. 

I just want some comfortable, fun to listen to headphones. Because I'm used to the UM3x's, the on-ear phones need to be high quality, I'm not ONLY looking for bass. But bassy punchiness is a priority. 

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 5
First off Grados aren't flat by any means. Their bass response it definitely underpowered and the highs are at the forefront, some even call them shrill. So while you don't have to worry about them being flat, they don't exactly fit your bill.

For $100 I can say the Audio Technica ATH-M50s have fairly punchy bass, are very comfortable to me, but some people with smaller heads find them a bit tight around the head. Although for what you want I would say to wait and save up for the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. It is more comfortable and, in my opinion, has better sound quality.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 5
Those look solid but I'd really prefer to stay a little closer to 100 dollars. I'm sure there are options that fit the bill at that price. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi!

For under $100 the only 2 headphones that I would recommend to you are HD439 & UE4000. HD439 has extended bass & well controlled. Mids are warm some might love it while some might not. Highs stand back a bit. It has more soundstage than UE4000 but UE4000 has very good detail. Bass are somewhat lighter on UE4000 but in terms of quality, it is better than HD439. UE4000 ones again, mids are very detailed where as the vocals sound rather artificial. Hope this help!

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back