Looking to purchase a flashlight? Here's an awesome resource!
Oct 31, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #166 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega
The Ti is a bit over the top...I have an aluminium Orb RAW and it is great. Tough as nails and so small I take it everywhere. You won't find a more powerful torch for the size (it's direct drive)! If you get one, get the switched version.

Link

Yeah, I couldn't help myself. I am getting the Ti Raw. With the new Cree XR-E. (well, however long it takes Rob to properly integrate it in the Raw)

Cree-XR-Raw-NS.jpg

-Ed

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #167 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yeah, I couldn't help myself. I am getting the Ti Raw. With the new Cree XR-E. (well, however long it takes Rob to properly integrate it in the Raw)

Cree-XR-Raw-NS.jpg

-Ed

"with between 77 and 100 lumens on high". This was funny since I was using my fathers ELX-12, which puts out 1000 lumens on high.

It is a little large though:
ELX-12.17.jpg

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #168 of 275
My newest addition to my flashlight collection just arrived today, my new Orb Raw Ti X-RE.

You really don't appreciate how tiny the Orb Raw Ti is until you hold it in your hands for the first time. This is my very first Titanium light, and my first Cree X-RE light as well.

No beam shots since my room is waaaaay too small to do any real beamshots justice, but suffice to say, it is at least 50% brighter than my HDS U60 XRGT on the highest level. The Cree X-RE's tint not so great, though in low mode, it is a sickly blueish/green, and on high it is a colder white, but it is actually closer to a "daylight" white, as it matches my Ott-Lites more. The tint on my HDS U60 XRGT is definitely more "rosey". Very pleasant to look at, but certainly not the most "calibrated" white light I've ever seen.

But enough talk, here's the pics...

Edwood_OrbRawTi_X-RE_01.jpg

Edwood_OrbRawTi_X-RE_02.jpg

Edwood_OrbRawTi_X-RE_03.jpg

Edwood_OrbRawTi_X-RE_04.jpg

Edwood_OrbRawTi_X-RE_05.jpg

Oh, and what better way to EDC my new Tiny Wonder than with a Matt Geissel Holester. Well, I actually had him not put a hole in it, so it's technically not a "hole"ster, per se.
This one is in black with Kangeroo hide, which Matt calls the "Titanium of Leathers" that is a perfect compliment to the Orb Raw Ti. It is lightweight and one of the toughest of hides. And it is very beautiful. The pictures don't do it justice, but it has a slight purple-ish iridescent sheen to it, which is characteristic of "Roo Hide"

Edwood_OrbRawTi_Holester_01.jpg

Edwood_OrbRawTi_Holester_02.jpg

Edwood_OrbRawTi_Holester_03.jpg

Edwood_OrbRawTi_Holester_04.jpg

-Ed

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #169 of 275
I know CPF. I'm not a flashaholic, in the sense that there's no way in hell I'm spending thousands of euros to fill my house with sticks that make light, but I do enjoy casually reading the LED flashlight board, mostly to keep sated my thirst for information about all sorts of gadgets.
After three cheapo chinese LED flashlights full of bad contacts and weak LEDs I decided to get a real light and be done with it, so I ordered a Fenix L1S. I'm hoping when it comes I'll be satisfied enough I'll never need to get another general-use flashlight again (provided I don't lose the L1S, of course
tongue.gif
).

Oh, I'll also get an M6 sooner or later. Its price tag is a whopping $400, but with the super-high-output head it will stun any person I shine it on, even in full daylight and at a certain distance. This can be a life-saver (in the literal meaning of the term) for people like me, who tend to avoid any physical acivity that isn't strictly necessary. Pepper sprays? Who needs pepper sprays?

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #170 of 275
I just placed an order for a SureFire A2, 6 SureFire lithiums, a spares carrier and spare bulb from OpticsHQ. I was thinking of getting the L2, but they were on backorder indefinitely. After reading that massive thread by js on CandlePowerForums, I was convinced that it's the most useful flashlight I could buy.

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #171 of 275
Just recieved my A2 today and it's quite the light. Not too big or heavy, and the grip is just right. Though it's not as bright as the higher lumen SureFires, it definitely has throw, especially the incandescent. The 3 LEDs are really handy, and useable if you're walking around at night. I'm definitely keeping it with me when I go out.

Dec 9, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #172 of 275
Congratulations! The A2 is an excellent light!

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #173 of 275
Thanks kwkarth, though I have to fend myself away from buying another SureFire soon.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #175 of 275
To the people thinking that a forum for flashlights is stupid/weird: don't be dumb, and keep in mind you're on a forum dedicated solely to HEADPHONES. Someone will always be able to say something of that sort is weird/stupid, it just depends on how close-minded they are.

Anyway, I'm a bit of a light-whore, I have a 4-D and 6-D cell Maglite, and an INOVA X0, all mounted in my car somewhere. They're all cool in their own ways, but I dread the day I need to refill the 6D Mag, it's practically half the price of the flashlight... I've also upgraded bulbs (from 9004 to 9007) in my car, as well as added driving lights. At some point I want to retrofit some bixenon projectors.

I was also just thinking, if I were to get a $300 light, it'd probably be a crazy HID one...

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #179 of 275
Time to revive this thread as new things are coming from Surefire soon. Cree LED's are to be added to some already proven models in March.

I have a Surefire G2 coming that I got from Lighthound. I want to see what the Surefire incandescent is all about. Once the Cree's roll out I'm hoping to pick up an E1L.

I'm also rather tempted by a Cree Orb Raw Ns to put on my keychain...

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #180 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Time to revive this thread as new things are coming from Surefire soon. Cree LED's are to be added to some already proven models in March.

I have a Surefire G2 coming that I got from Lighthound. I want to see what the Surefire incandescent is all about. Once the Cree's roll out I'm hoping to pick up an E1L.

I'm also rather tempted by a Cree Orb Raw Ns to put on my keychain...

Actually, it looks more like the SSC P4's are taking off faster. Primarily due to their beam angle being closer to Luxeon, not to mention the packaging of the emitter is nearly the same (well, except for the cathode and anode being backwards). The Cree's require a different reflector, and the emitter packing is completely different.

But the spill is much brighter, so the Cree's make a superior flood light. And when the Q3 bin's are out, Seoul SemiConductor will have some catching up to do. Not to mention LumiLED. Luxeons are falling behind quickly.

Rob is pretty busy getting those Raw Da's out the door. Might be some time before he offers any more custom stuff. I'm glad I snagged a Raw Ti XR-E when I did.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back