Looking to buy my first headphones
Dec 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

alecd423

Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I've been looking into headphones for Christmas and i am relatively new to the whole headphone idea.  As of right now i am thinking about getting the Senheisser hd 380 pros; however, I am not sure if these are right for me.  I am mostly a casual listener, I own no amps, and most likely will only listen to music through my ipod and laptop.  I want headphones with good bass, but i obviously don't want to waste money on headpones that are all bass and no sound quality, ex. beats.  I am looking to spend around $250 or less, and not to sound too picky, but i would like a headphone that i can tryout/buy in a store just because i do not want to deal with internet returns.  Any and all suggestions are welcome, and i am not brand loyal by any means so no worries about keeping it Sennheisser or anything like that.  Lastly, I want them to have very minimal sound leakage.  Thank you to anyone that can help!

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 6
Hey, welcome to Head-fi! (and sorry about your wallet)

Might be useful telling us what genres you listen to. Off the top of my head, you might like the new AKG K167 or Ultimate Ears UE6000 (readily available for demo'ing at BB).

As for checking out headphones in person, see if your local Best-Buy has Magnolia or whether there's any decent audio stores nearby like J&R. If not, I would still consider buying from Amazon. They usually have lower prices and have fantastic customer service and easy returns.

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 6
I suggest trying out headphones before you buy them. Best buy may be just fine except for the prices. I suggest looking around and once you find a pair you like, go online because you can probably find them much less and save some money.
As already reccomended, I am all for the Ultimate Ears 6000. Good for all around music styles. Quality bass too. You will enjoy them.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Hey, welcome to Head-fi! (and sorry about your wallet)

Might be useful telling us what genres you listen to. Off the top of my head, you might like the new AKG K167 or Ultimate Ears UE6000 (readily available for demo'ing at BB).

As for checking out headphones in person, see if your local Best-Buy has Magnolia or whether there's any decent audio stores nearby like J&R. If not, I would still consider buying from Amazon. They usually have lower prices and have fantastic customer service and easy returns.

What about the m50?

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 6
What about the m50?

Now that the AKG K167s are circulating with a sub 200 dollar price tag, I would be looking at those. I haven't tried them because they are too new, but if you read through the headphone forum you should find the discussion thread for these headphones. :)

That being said, the M50s aren't bad either. If see some for a good deal and you think they sound good (assuming you find them at guitar center or best buy), then go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back