Looking for the right open design
Sep 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kwonberry

Head-Fier
First time post, audio is a big world. 

I may not be true audiophile picky, but sensitivity to audio output has always been important for me. My typical IEM choices were always sub $100 and I tried nearly all major brands. Finally 2 days ago my Klipsch S4's shorted and I needed to replace them badly (NYC subway rides are intolerable with only the right ear working).

My recent Westone Um2 purchase has opened the floodgates to say the least. Two days ago I was a lurker on the verge of breaking into mid-fi range but never committing (uni student, so budget is always a consideration). 

Now, like anyone else who is willing to spend some significant coin for their music, and a bit too informed to go for the standard consumer brands (Bose, Beats,etc) I'm hunting for the next best thing. 

Parameters, considering the use they will receive:

-Usable with portable devices (primarily Ipod) Being an art student there isn't a practical way to fully utilize an amp.
-Open air (craving a wider soundstage over IEMs, If I need to shut out the environment that's what the Westones are for)
-Large size (my noggin, and consequently ear size is on the huge side) Circumaural ideally.
-I've been digging the Westone sound, something many have labeled as musical (key word) with emphasis on bass and a 'rolled off' treble which can translate to longer listening periods which lead to the purchase. I'm not a music mixer, I'm a listener. 

So far the potential candidates based on some rudimentary research:

Grado 225i or 325i
Beyerdynamic Dt990 32ohm (closed ear but fits most parameters)
are V-moda m-100 released/ever being released?
Hifiman He-400

Thoughts and Suggestions super appreciated, considering I had never heard of Westone until a few days ago. Long read sorry for the impatient types but I like to write :D

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 3
First time post, audio is a big world. 

I may not be true audiophile picky, but sensitivity to audio output has always been important for me. My typical IEM choices were always sub $100 and I tried nearly all major brands. Finally 2 days ago my Klipsch S4's shorted and I needed to replace them badly (NYC subway rides are intolerable with only the right ear working).

My recent Westone Um2 purchase has opened the floodgates to say the least. Two days ago I was a lurker on the verge of breaking into mid-fi range but never committing (uni student, so budget is always a consideration). 

Now, like anyone else who is willing to spend some significant coin for their music, and a bit too informed to go for the standard consumer brands (Bose, Beats,etc) I'm hunting for the next best thing. 

Parameters, considering the use they will receive:

-Usable with portable devices (primarily Ipod) Being an art student there isn't a practical way to fully utilize an amp.
-Open air (craving a wider soundstage over IEMs, If I need to shut out the environment that's what the Westones are for)
-Large size (my noggin, and consequently ear size is on the huge side) Circumaural ideally.
-I've been digging the Westone sound, something many have labeled as musical (key word) with emphasis on bass and a 'rolled off' treble which can translate to longer listening periods which lead to the purchase. I'm not a music mixer, I'm a listener. 

So far the potential candidates based on some rudimentary research:

Grado 225i or 325i
Beyerdynamic Dt990 32ohm (closed ear but fits most parameters)
are V-moda m-100 released/ever being released?
Hifiman He-400

Thoughts and Suggestions super appreciated, considering I had never heard of Westone until a few days ago. Long read sorry for the impatient types but I like to write :D

+ 1 for the he-400
They are great sounding open back at a fair price with decent bass.
They also can play quite well with the iPod without an amp although many would suggest one such as the fiio e11 or e17.
On the down side, they r a bit heavy.

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah I have a slight lean towards this as well (the side of me that says Planar tech seems so cool) And I suppose if I find a way to amp it it's only a plus. Anyone have comparison of this to Grados?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back