Looking for the next headphone: ~$1,000
Oct 10, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #46 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed you have owned the W5000 and currently own the Ed9's

Could you give me your impressions on these two headphones?

I feel that primarily Edition 9's superiority lies in speed and detail retrieval, after that the differences lie purely in tonality - W5000 probably has as good of an extension, but it is colored to sound very musical. W5000 has a slightly larger soundstage depending on the amp and your ears, but Edition 9 with its more neutral sound can sound more coherent, depending on your ears again. Recording quality matters greatly with both, but much more so with Edition 9.
Edition 9 has vastly superior PRAT because of its speed and how it is voiced.

If you want more tonal comparisons - Edition 9 is more neutral, with fairly strong bass that seems to reach very very deep. W5000 has a recessed, more relaxed bass, with strengthened lower treble and upper mids, which gives it more musical/relaxed tonality and brings out guitars/vocals to the front. I really like the soundstage on both, very integrated and 3d.

Suggestion about Edition 9 bass being overpowering - I am not certain about that, depends on how loud you listen and your front-end/amplificaton. It also vastly depends on what the recording is... frankly when people say overpowering - I think DT770 or L3000, or at least HD650...coming from k701 Edition 9 will sound like it has gobbs of bass though.

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #47 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by speakerhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is fair to say but at the same time I don't think the ED9's have really been heard by enough non-ultrasone headphone owners to really give a comparison between them and other top headphones.

I don't really get why you are aiming at the Ed. 9's out of that list. They are clearly in the price category vcoheda nicely put together for the OP and they have a following of plenty of well experienced Head-fi members. In this market niche, decisions to purchase are quite a valid litmus test for quality and Ultrasone has succeeded to create a quality brand, worthy of consideration. I would also suggest that the amazing lack of Ed. 9s in the FS forum is another valid measure.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #48 of 84
I have an Audio Technica W1000 which is supposed to sound very close to the W5000, indeed it doesnt have deep overwhelming bass, and has very open sound stage, powerful mids and highs, and very punchy attacks (the drums really kick your ears !). Voices and guitars are presented first, highs (cymbals, etc) are a bit emphasized.
Jazz sound absolutely fantastic on them, rock too, but if the record lacks bass they wont save it.

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #49 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by speakerhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is fair to say but at the same time I don't think the ED9's have really been heard by enough non-ultrasone headphone owners to really give a comparison between them and other top headphones.

Ok, interesting question. Suppose a member started doing comparisons between the Edition 9 and other cans, and decided that Edition 9 is very very good and he must own one (making him an Ultrasone owner), does that disqualify that person?
Also, what about markl impressions? If anything, he got his stuff down, and if you follow the development of his posts, they are doing very well even in the face of his R10 (which is a godly headphone).

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #50 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....my HD-650 blows...

I coudn't have said it better myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems you just missed the TakeT group buy, though that would have been a bit over budget. That leaves one grand option in my book: Stax 4040, $1118 from pricejapan. You could probably test some stax in Seattle at Experience Audio, though the in-store prices are bound to be far higher than from the online importers.

If they have a SRM-007t (Stax amp) try some of the Lambda type headphones (SR-303, SR-404) with this amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does something like this even exist - even for $2000.

The K701s are one of my favorite headphones and hard to beat for the money but there are other nice sounding headphones. Try to attend some regional meets and find out what you like.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #51 of 84
GS1K for the win.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Actually in all fairness,ED9, GS1K, or Stax will more than adequately do your tunes justice.

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #52 of 84
Quote:

The system does seem really interesting but I think I'd like to hear it before buying! Anyone in Seattle have this headphone
wink.gif

You should definitely listen to the system before buying, if possible that is.
Cause it might not be of your taste...

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #54 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, interesting question. Suppose a member started doing comparisons between the Edition 9 and other cans, and decided that Edition 9 is very very good and he must own one (making him an Ultrasone owner), does that disqualify that person?
Also, what about markl impressions? If anything, he got his stuff down, and if you follow the development of his posts, they are doing very well even in the face of his R10 (which is a godly headphone).

No that would not disqualify that individuals review. Rather I have noticed in the reviews I've read that mostly people with little top tier headphone experience have purchased and been giving the Edition 9 glowing reviews. I just read markl impressions and they are just that at the moment.

Markl also gave rave reviews on the GS1000 and the K701 (apparently after much tribulation)

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #55 of 84
I am also in the same boat, looking for a new set of phones. I already have the W5000, D5000, HD650, K701, and DT880. Of those I listen to the K701 the most. I think I should add a Grado to the collection but not sure which one. I think a HP1 would be the way to go but would a GS1000 or RS1 fit the bill? I also think maybe I should just wait for a R10 to come around.

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #56 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also think maybe I should just wait for a R10 to come around.

Well, if you have thoes $4,500-6000 to spend, go for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #57 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by aris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smells like gimmicks

What information do you have backing that statement?

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #58 of 84
I think I've narrowed down my choices to:

Ultrasone Edition 9
GS-1000
HE60

What do you guys think?

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #59 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What information do you have backing that statement?

Sony has a reputation for gimmicks:

BetaMax
MiniDisc
SACD
BluRay

Quote:

I think I've narrowed down my choices to:

Ultrasone Edition 9
GS-1000
HE60

What do you guys think?

Ed9 - are nice if you like hard hitting bass.

HE60 - lack bass, require a special amp (ouch!)

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #60 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony has a reputation for gimmicks:

BetaMax
MiniDisk
SACD
BluRay

What?

Is that a joke? SACD, BluRay and BetaMax are all far superior to the products they aim(ed) to replace. Not sure what minidisc is.

And look at their previous and current high end headphones, r10, qualia, cd3000, f1, sa5000, and some well regarded cheaper ones such as the eggo and V6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back