Looking for the next headphone: ~$1,000
Oct 9, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #31 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really, w5000 only correlates with the other woodies, not the A or AD series.

Highly recommended can, and the rest of the budget can be used on an amp to use with it (nice powerful transportable will do, Lisa III comes to mind).

I noticed you have owned the W5000 and currently own the Ed9's

Could you give me your impressions on these two headphones?

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #32 of 84
the top dynamic headphones out there under or around $1000 are

- HD650
- K701
- DT880
- RS1
- GS1000
- Ed.9
- W5000
- DX1000

then there are those out of production and more expensive

- K1000
- L3000
- HP1000
- PS1
- R10

maybe you can rule out those in the second group because of price and availability, so you just have to find a way to try all the ones in the 1st group.

very doable, but still easier said that done.

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #35 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are in no kind of order right?

not that i know of.
tongue.gif

and i guess you can include the D5000 in the first group as well to make things even easier.
biggrin.gif
really though, if you can get to one decent meet, you could hear just about all of them. listening to a headphone even for a short time frame plus impressions from people who do own them should be enough to make a (semi) informed decision.

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #36 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for something that is all across the board better than the AKG K701.

What would you suggest for ~$1000

Open, closed it doesn't matter.

"Better" than the K701 in all aspects doesn't exist. Do you have any idea how subjective "better" means? I suspect a future of futility if you expect to find an "all across the board better than the K701" kind of headphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by outmatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Technica is well-recieved by a lot of head-fier. Its flagship, the L3000, is rated among the best headphones such as R10, HE90, etc.

There's a nice review on ATH-AD2000 by ASR. I have never heard W5000 personally, but many say they share the same sound signature as of those in the Audio-Technica line.

Who's posts are you reading? No one I've seen has said the W5000 shares any kind of sound with any other ATs, and if they did that would be weird, because the upper-end ATs all sound different. L3000, W5000, and AD2000 sound completely different from each other, and there's a record of past posts here on how different W5000 and W2002 sound as well. The only AT headphones that are reputed to sound similar are those in the Ax00 line. Pretty much the only commonality I've personally found across multiple ATs is a strong tendency towards a fast attack, which makes sense given the kind of music they're probably developed on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- HD650
- K701
- DT880
- RS1
- GS1000
- Ed.9
- W5000
- DX1000

You forgot the AD2000, it definitely needs to be on that list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #37 of 84
Getting your K701 balanced would be a good way to spend the $1000 and be sure to improve what you already like, though it does require an amp upgrade and eventually a balanced source if you don't already have one.

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #38 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced HD-650. Even single-ended, my HD-650 blows everything away in musicality with a clear margin.

A good friend of mine has a set of HD650's and I just couldn't get down with the steady constant thrum of bass that the headphone produce.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
true, but it's b/c i already have a k1000
wink.gif
and what did i get rid of to get the k1000? you guessed it - the k701.
k1000smile.gif

the problem with your request is that everyone has different ideas about how great the k701s are. some think that it's a steal at their price...and spending a thousand bucks wouldn't get you much more performance. others think the k701 are overrated and you could spend $300 to top it. moreover, others will have different ideas as to what they think sounds really good.

personally, i liked the k701. but the k1000 is that much better...

have you thought about an rs-1? i really like them...and paired with a good amp they really are quite better than the k701, IMO.

The only other Grado I've listened to are the GS-1000's

I agree that with sound it is hard to find consensus on what sounds best. I'm just hoping to spend my money on something that is more fun to listen to.

I really enjoy the K701's for what they do well which is reproducing a song the way it was recorded

But with the K701's it forces me to really pay attention to the music to enjoy the heapdhones. I want something that is more musical and fun to listen to if that makes sense?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torula Yeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. Plus more than enough detail at low volumes to satisfy one's analytical side, methinks. Note that loud listening is likely to become quickly fatiguing, but for me that's plus, as I can get all the detail and bass I could desire w/o being tempted to drive the volume to unsafe levels.

facelvega:

Perhaps true, but the service at Experience Audio cannot be beat. The proprietor would probably turn somersaults to make a customer happy. If I told you how far backwards that guy bent to let me pick up a pair of 325i's when he wasn't even in town due to a family emergency, you might not believe me. kelvinz, I didn't notice you live in Seattle, but you might consider making an appointment there and talking to the owner about what you're looking for.

I tried contacting Experience Audio but the owner seems very hard to get a hold of I've sent emails and tried to phone them. In fact I realize now that I tried contacting this store back when I first joined Headfi and was unsuccessful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Better" than the K701 in all aspects doesn't exist. Do you have any idea how subjective "better" means? I suspect a future of futility if you expect to find an "all across the board better than the K701" kind of headphone.

Who's posts are you reading? No one I've seen has said the W5000 shares any kind of sound with any other ATs, and if they did that would be weird, because the upper-end ATs all sound different. L3000, W5000, and AD2000 sound completely different from each other, and there's a record of past posts here on how different W5000 and W2002 sound as well. The only AT headphones that are reputed to sound similar are those in the Ax00 line. Pretty much the only commonality I've personally found across multiple ATs is a strong tendency towards a fast attack, which makes sense given the kind of music they're probably developed on.

You forgot the AD2000, it definitely needs to be on that list.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would think there should be headphone that is better than the K701. Basically I want

+Smoother Mids
+Clearer Highs
+Stronger Clearer Bass

I'm willing to sacrifice some of the sound stage and airiness that the K701's give music

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting your K701 balanced would be a good way to spend the $1000 and be sure to improve what you already like, though it does require an amp upgrade and eventually a balanced source if you don't already have one.

I've never been a huge fan of modifying things, I'd rather just buy a more expensive HP =)

I do plan on making my own M^3 for fun over the next year!

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #39 of 84
stronger highs than K701 ?? - but when it comes to smooth mids try to listen to E9, they are also wery clear on highs but has this ovewhelming bass that I don't particulary like

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #40 of 84
Quote:

- HD650
- K701
- DT880
- RS1
- GS1000
- Ed.9
- W5000
- DX1000

then there are those out of production and more expensive

- K1000
- L3000
- HP1000
- PS1
- R10

maybe you can rule out those in the second group because of price and availability, so you just have to find a way to try all the ones in the 1st group.

very doable, but still easier said that done.

Do the ED9's really deserve to be on that list? I know the Ultrasone owners always tout that the ED9's sound as good as the top tier headphones but I have yet to see a real back to back review of the ED9's against any of those headphones in your list.

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #41 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by speakerhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the ED9's really deserve to be on that list? I know the Ultrasone owners always tout that the ED9's sound as good as the top tier headphones but I have yet to see a real back to back review of the ED9's against any of those headphones in your list.

i just made that list off the top of my head. i haven't heard the Ed.9 myself but included it based on many threads and opinions i have read about it. i think if you asked head-fiers to compose a list of the best dynamic headphones out there, i bet a lot of them would be very similar to what i wrote down. of course, there are probably some - maybe many - who would exclude one headphone on the list and include a different one. do the Ed.9s really belong there. i suspect they do, but i'm not positive, and there is no right answer anyway.

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #42 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That leaves one grand option in my book: Stax 4040, $1118 from pricejapan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is a really interesting suggestion I've never looked at Stax on account of their looks but I'll contact experince audio and take a listen to them. Does that price include the amp btw?

I concur the Stax SRS-4040II system, even if its a tiny bit above your budget.
A great sounding little headphone system, consisting of the SR-404 headphone and the SRM-006tII tube amplifier.

SRS4040II-1.jpg
SRS4040II-2.jpg

SRS4040II-3.jpg
SRS4040II-4.jpg

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/SRS4040II.html

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #43 of 84
Quote:

i just made that list off the top of my head. i haven't heard the Ed.9 myself but included it based on many threads and opinions i have read about it. i think if you asked head-fiers to compose a list of the best dynamic headphones out there, i bet a lot of them would be very similar to what i wrote down. of course, there are probably some - maybe many - who would exclude one headphone on the list and include a different one. do the Ed.9s really belong there. i suspect they do, but i'm not positive, and there is no right answer anyway.

that is fair to say but at the same time I don't think the ED9's have really been heard by enough non-ultrasone headphone owners to really give a comparison between them and other top headphones.

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #44 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur the Stax SRS-4040II system, even if its a tiny bit above your budget.
A great sounding little headphone system, consisting of the SR-404 headphone and the SRM-006tII tube amplifier.

SRS4040II-1.jpg
SRS4040II-2.jpg

SRS4040II-3.jpg
SRS4040II-4.jpg

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/SRS4040II.html

it's close enough that the price doesn't really phase me much.

The system does seem really interesting but I think I'd like to hear it before buying! Anyone in Seattle have this headphone
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #45 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotr z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stronger highs than K701 ?? - but when it comes to smooth mids try to listen to E9, they are also wery clear on highs but has this ovewhelming bass that I don't particulary like

Actually meant stronger clearer highs than the K701 it was early in the morning when I made the post and accidentally misrepresented my requirements

Users who are viewing this thread

Back