Looking for the next headphone: ~$1,000
Oct 11, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #61 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What?

Is that a joke? SACD, BluRay and BetaMax are all far superior to the products they aim(ed) to replace. Not sure what minidisc is.

And look at their previous and current high end headphones, r10, qualia, cd3000, f1, sa5000, and some well regarded cheaper ones such as the eggo and V6.

MD was (is?) a really cool little disk with it's own plastic housing. Think 3.5" disk but much smaller and optical instead of magnetic.

I'm guessing that it was ment to replace the cassette but that's just my guess.

Edit: MD is actually Magneto-optical see link below

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #63 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MD was (is?) a really cool little optical disk with it's own plastic housing. Think 3.5" disk but much smaller and optical instead of magnetic.

I'm guessing that it was ment to replace the cassette but that's just my guess.

Though the MD never achieved wide spread acceptance in North America, I'm willing to bet it's still going strong in Japan. I use to own an MD player, and the only thing that drove me off of it was Sony's dumb proprietary software you had to use to interface the player with your computer. Truly horrible stuff.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #64 of 84
Quote:

Ed9 - are nice if you like hard hitting bass.

HE60 - lack bass, require a special amp (ouch!)

Whats with the exclusion, GS-1000 has very strong bass also, while HE60 is actually one of the bassier e-stats.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #65 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats with the exclusion, GS-1000 has very strong bass also, while HE60 is actually one of the bassier e-stats.

The problem with the GS1000 is that when I audtioned them last year I remember them have recessed highs and booming warm mids which I enjoyed but didn't really think should cost $900. Other reviews I've read have contridicted what I heard so I am willing to still consider them.

The problem with the Edition 9 and HE60 are that I have yet to hear them and would be buying them just off word of mouth on headfi

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #66 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though the MD never achieved wide spread acceptance in North America, I'm willing to bet it's still going strong in Japan. I use to own an MD player, and the only thing that drove me off of it was Sony's dumb proprietary software you had to use to interface the player with your computer. Truly horrible stuff.

I use to have a nice Pioneer MD player/recorder and when I was a kid I loved hooking it up to my portable cd players optical out and recording over to MD before MP3's were around!

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #67 of 84
Quote:

I have never heard a GS-1000, I really like grados though, I hope to own a wood pair someday and a woody AT too.
smily_headphones1.gif

My e-stat experince is limited to HE-60, (4) Lambdas, Sigma Pro, and SR-007. That's not counting the half-breed K340.

I'm guessing the HEV-70 doesn't exactly help things.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #68 of 84
Quote:

I have never heard a GS-1000, I really like grados though, I hope to own a wood pair someday and a woody AT too.
smily_headphones1.gif

My e-stat experince is limited to HE-60, (4) Lambdas, Sigma Pro, and SR-007. That's not counting the half-breed K340.

I'm guessing the HEV-70 doesn't exactly help things.

Ya the HEV-70 is the issue...

Also, GS-1000 does not have much to do with the sound of the rest of Grados.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with the GS1000 is that when I audtioned them last year I remember them have recessed highs and booming warm mids which I enjoyed but didn't really think should cost $900. Other reviews I've read have contridicted what I heard so I am willing to still consider them.

The problem with the Edition 9 and HE60 are that I have yet to hear them and would be buying them just off word of mouth on headfi

What pads was GS-1000 using when you tried? I believe it can sound like that with flats, but not with the bowls?

I don't think you should have any issues with Edition 9 or HE60 even on word of mouth since they are the more neutral, user-friendly headphones. HE60 would still bitch at your setup though.

That being said, I would carefully balanced how much money you are willing to throw around for individual parts of your system. Other considerations like SR-4040 system are good since they are more of a complete system...but there are issue to solve. I could have bought one instead of Edition 9, but extensive listening pointed out the problems that would have grown into hatred over time.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #70 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I've narrowed down my choices to:

Ultrasone Edition 9
GS-1000
HE60

What do you guys think?

What do you have against the Sextet's? A pair of Sextets recabled to balanced and cleaned + a balanced M cubed would be a very nice setup.

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #71 of 84
Not sure anybody's told you yet, but the HE60 is way out of the $1,000 price range. I just bought an HE60/HEV70 combo for a bit more than $2,000. While admittedly mint, even a moderately used set will cost you at least $1700. To that, you must add the cost of a decent amp (the HEV70 has a well-deserved notorious reputation as a sonic disaster) -- at the very least, a (barely) adequate Stax amp will cost you about $1,000 by itself.

For my (and perhaps your) money, the best headphone by far under $1,500 is the venerable Senn HD-650 (or the HD-600 if that's your cup of tea). Maybe not sexy or a FOTM, but eminently scaleable (i.e., it'll be as good as the rest of your system allows).

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #72 of 84
yeah. no way you are going to get an HE60 for $1000. might as well cross that off the list. as someone else suggested, you should also consider the DX1000. seems that the few people who own them think very highly of it.

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #73 of 84
Well, I may be a whipped a bit for this suggestion, primarily because its not real or available yet. If your willing to wait (several months) the rumor mill places Sennheiser's HD-700 or HD-800 sometime just after the new year.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #75 of 84
Quote:

W5000 has a slightly larger soundstage depending on the amp and your ears, but Edition 9 with its more neutral sound can sound more coherent, depending on your ears again. Recording quality matters greatly with both, but much more so with Edition 9.
Edition 9 has vastly superior PRAT because of its speed and how it is voiced.

If you want more tonal comparisons - Edition 9 is more neutral, with fairly strong bass that seems to reach very very deep.

I respectfully and fully disagree that Edition is more neutral than W5000. Having owned all of the highest end headphones except R10, I refuse to call Edition 9 neutral. I would say that its got the treble and bass and very pronouced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back