Looking for the next headphone: ~$1,000
Oct 12, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #77 of 84
Headphones in that pricerange I've owned include the W5000, DX1000 and Edition 9, and for me the Edition was far and away the best. It leaves very, very little to be desired. It's mostly made me stop looking at other headphones, which I've never done before. I almost sold them them to buy a TakeT H2, but I changed my mind and for now I think I'm going to keep the Edition 9 around instead. Besides having the best sound quality I've ever experienced, they're also closed headphones that isolate well, and are compact and transportable, if you want to have a semi-portable rig. The W5000 was my second choice. I prefer a faster, more detailed headphone to warm and bassy. More SA5000, less HD650, if you can relate to that comparison. The W5000 is to the DX1000 what the SA5000 is to the HD650, and the W5000 and DX1000 are superior to both. The Edition 9 is the best of both worlds. Whatever your listening tastes, I have a hard time imagining you not liking the Edition 9. Unfortunately I've only briefly heard the HE60 at a meet in a noisy environment, and I've never heard the GS1000.

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #78 of 84
Hard to beat well broken in 650's with a "relaxed" head band....

They scale well, probably have the greatest consensus of people who agree on their SQ, and are not a FOTM.

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #79 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They scale well, probably have the greatest consensus of people who agree on their SQ, and are not a FOTM.

Hard to get a 650/600/580 with a "relaxed" headband though...

My HD600 still clamp pretty hard after seven years. Comfort is sub-par if you compare with GS1000.

HD650 has been FOTM since they were released.
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #80 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of all the headphones I have the HD650 (KSC75 not included) is my least favorite. Weird.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #81 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of all the headphones I have the HD650 (KSC75 not included) is my least favorite. Weird.

I think a large majority of people enjoy the HD650's but there are some that cannot stand the "veil" that covers the music.

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #82 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones in that pricerange I've owned include the W5000, DX1000 and Edition 9, and for me the Edition was far and away the best. It leaves very, very little to be desired. It's mostly made me stop looking at other headphones, which I've never done before. I almost sold them them to buy a TakeT H2, but I changed my mind and for now I think I'm going to keep the Edition 9 around instead. Besides having the best sound quality I've ever experienced, they're also closed headphones that isolate well, and are compact and transportable, if you want to have a semi-portable rig. The W5000 was my second choice. I prefer a faster, more detailed headphone to warm and bassy. More SA5000, less HD650, if you can relate to that comparison. The W5000 is to the DX1000 what the SA5000 is to the HD650, and the W5000 and DX1000 are superior to both. The Edition 9 is the best of both worlds. Whatever your listening tastes, I have a hard time imagining you not liking the Edition 9. Unfortunately I've only briefly heard the HE60 at a meet in a noisy envir
confused.gif
onment, and I've never heard the GS1000.

I'm actually leaning towards the edition 9s right now my only concern is that it shares drivers with a much cheaper ultrasone headphone ...

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #83 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my only concern is that it shares drivers with a much cheaper ultrasone headphone ...

Well, so do the grados.

Oct 13, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #84 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by didwlgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I respectfully and fully disagree that Edition is more neutral than W5000. Having owned all of the highest end headphones except R10, I refuse to call Edition 9 neutral. I would say that its got the treble and bass and very pronouced.

I respectfully and fully disagree, being a guitarist and having fair amount of experience with studio monitors. While Edition 9 is not definition of neutral, W5000 is far more colored (that is not a bad thing, but it is a fact).
On top of that, treble on Edition 9 is fairly flat when properly burned in.

I am not going to comment on the case of bass - this is the area alot of people disagree with respect to alot of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back