Looking for strong build IEM with excellent sound quality
Oct 18, 2011 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Rayy

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I bought a pair of RE-Zero. The IEM is great, really good with my J3.
However, and even if I was a bit careful, one side is "unsticked". I will send it back to Zococity for them to repair it but I'm a but angry about that situation. This is tipically the kind of situation I wanted to avoid.
I would like to know which IEMs are strongly build so I won't be sibject to such a disgrace :p
I would like to stick with a sound quality at close as possible to RE-Zero or eventually something a bit more neutral. I'm not a basshead, I like analytical or eventually balanced sound (as described by ClieOS) 

Thanks for your input guys :)

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 15
Ety HF3/HF5. Little steel (well, aluminum probably) tanks that are even better than RE0 and similar overall.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for tis suggestion !
One thing I forgot (and this is a very important information :p) I don't expect to spend more than 150$ (under 100$ would be nice)

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 15
They are $150 on Amazon, and were just $98 during a special, and have been dipping down to around $110 recently. They sound like a good choice for you. You could also probably get them cheaper on the for sale forum here.

The Ety MC5 is a decent, cheaper alternative.

Quote:
Thanks for tis suggestion !
One thing I forgot (and this is a very important information :p) I don't expect to spend more than 150$ (under 100$ would be nice)

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 15
for under $100US one will never find a IEM that is strong and build to last.
It is just the way life is my friend.
Just save up few more Euros/dollars by starving for few days and get yourself something worthwhile.
200US at least

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 15
If you can find a pair of Pan HJE900 in the FS for around 100, those things are built like a tank and have removable cables. Ety HFs go for around 60-80 as well in FS and are very solid too. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 15
Also recommending the HF5 for your sound signature. Two year warranty if you buy authorized. W/ earphonesolutions coupon code you can get them from right around $100. Etymotic has brilliant customer service, too.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 15
I'd have to also say Etymotic HF series...  Great build that is sure to last.  You'll definitely like the signature if you like the RE0, although I do prefer the RE0 to them still.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #12 of 15
Sorry for the unappropriate term. In fact the right phone block is seperated in two.
So i have the part with the filter and the other one where the cables are tied.
To sum up, I can see the inside of the phone but it does not seem like there is a crack or something. It's more like the block was made of 2 parts sticked together which have been seperated. (I hope it's clearer, in french it would have been easier lol.

Quote:
Looking for a strongly built IEM with excellent sound under 150.

Dont we all??

Build quality is not equal in this category.
I had a Sennheiser CX-300 II and a pair of Sony IEM (don't remember the model, it was years ago and I bought it because it was Sony - moronic I know ^^) and they were stronger than my RE-Zero^.
Both of them were under 100 $.

Quote:
for under $100US one will never find a IEM that is strong and build to last.
It is just the way life is my friend.
Just save up few more Euros/dollars by starving for few days and get yourself something worthwhile.
200US at least

Interesting, the previously mentionned IEM last years before dying (is it considered as bad ? I'm curious, my standards as a newbie to audiophilie may be too low)
the RE-Zero pair has less than 6 months and I did not use them with less care than the previous one (I have been more careful I'd say)
Psychologically, I may be not ready to spend 200 $ for a pair of IEMs. Especially if I buy them via internet without a physical store to go in case of problem. (That's why I apreciate the comments related to the quality of Etymotics customer service. This is a very important information for me)
But which IEM would you suggest with a price tag around 200$ ?

Thanks again for your input guys :)

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 15
One more thing.

ClieOS mentionned Sunrise IEMs (Xcite and Xscape models) as strongly built with a very good sound quality. Does anyone had a chance to test them ? Deal with their customer service ?
I'm trying to have as many input as I can. :)

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 15
The Sony EX600 are very strong built IEMs with realy good sound quality (neutral, balanced) and has removeable cable. The other IEMs like ER4P, HF5, DBA-02, B2, SA6 and Image X5 are recommended.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
What does "unsticked" mean?

I assume the housing comes apart? Won't be the first HifiMan to have its housing split open because of weak glue. Make me wonder why they don't want to use a stronger glue?

Quote:
One more thing.

ClieOS mentionned Sunrise IEMs (Xcite and Xscape models) as strongly built with a very good sound quality. Does anyone had a chance to test them ? Deal with their customer service ?
I'm trying to have as many input as I can. :)

Unfortunately it seems some of the latest batch also suffer from weak glue, though I believe Sunrise already notice the issue. You can take your chances or make sure you have some superglue around as it really is a quick fix on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back