Looking for some upgrade advice!
Dec 21, 2012 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tkdiamond08

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Been lurking around these parts for a while now, been really meaning to upgrade my setup with a budget of ~$500 CAD, and with christmas around the corner, now seems as good a time as any!

So a little bit of backstory:

I started off with PC350s and a Fatality X-Fi, which I was very pleased with for the past several years (used to be primarily a gamer). Last year I built a new machine and swapped in an ASUS Xonar DX, which I have not been very impressed with for music or gaming. However, I recently discovered my love and new obsession for lossless music, and as I expand my library, I want to be able to experience the full potential of my music. I love listening for the little intricacies in each song, stuff I never used to pay any attention to. I primarily listen to rock / alternative / indie folk. Some of my favourite bands include: RHCP, Blind Pilot, Led Zep, Incubus, Radiohead.

I'm thinking I should swap out the Xonar DX since I'm not happy with it with either an Xonar ST/STX or Omega Claro (both of which have a dedicated headphone amp), my only worry is that I plan on buying Swan M200MkII/III or equivalent loudspeakers down the line, and I'd need a seperate amp for that. Is there any better approach there?

Anyhow back to headphones...

What I'm looking for is something to experience the fullness of my music, under $300 comfortable for long use, and still be great for gaming (mostly FPS' eg. CS:GO, BF3, FC3, TF2).

I've looked into these ones so far, and I really don't know which one would suit my needs best, so hopefully you guys can help me decide:

- Fischer FA-011
- Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
- Audiotechnica AD700
- Audiotechnica ATHM50
- AKG Q701

I'm obviously open to suggestions!

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 2
IMO, there are no good headphones suited for gaming. If you are a casual gamer then it doesn't really matter, keep the pc350s. Look for something with big drivers >45mm.

Audiotechnica ATHM50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back