Looking for some neutral IEMs that can summon some grunt when needed
Jul 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

UNCbassbone

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I listen mainly to metal, but some classical here and there. I have been looking at joker's thread lately, and I have a couple of IEMs in mind, but I want to see what you guys think to see if I'm right.

Let me give you an idea of what I listen to. I really like Opeth, ranging from "Blackwater Park" to "Heritage." I like Meshuggah's new album "Koloss." I've been getting into Periphery lately (just in time for their new album that comes out tomorrow). I like Dillinger Escape Plan and Lamb of God as well. For classical listening, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bruckner (he writes REALLY awesome parts for the sound cannon that sits at the end of the trombone section).

I'm looking for some IEMs that won't color the music, but have enough grunt to really do the music justice. When I say "grunt," think of the opening to Lamb of God's song "Straight for the Sun." I want something that will do THAT justice. That being said, I don't want something overly bassy.

I have approximately $400 to spend ($400 being the absolute most I can spend). What do you think everyone?

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 13
I think an Etymotic ER-4P, w/ a p-s adapter and a portable amp are in order.

Keep us posted, Jim

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 13
Good Question?

IMO, I like having the versatility of running the P model unamped from time to time.

A winning combo in my ears.

Jim

PS Some really like the CMOY Amp w/selectable Bass Boost. I like the O2 amp, a Wire with Gain.

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Opinions on the Westone 3 (and possibly 4, seeing as how it's only ~$30 more than the 3 on Amazon right now), or either of the Earsonics universals?

The Westone 4 is an awesome iem.  Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with some of the music you've listed but I used it for everything from classical/opera to rock and heavy alternative and it did an awesome job with everything.  I returned it a while ago and I'm missing it quite a bit.  Keep in mind that Earphonesolutions.com is currently running a 25% off sale through July 8th which brings the cost of the non-RC version into the $340-ish range. I haven't heard the W3 but I've heard it definitely has more bass than the 4.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 13
Honestly, if your budget were higher I'd expect the ASG-2's to be up your alley. No idea on price or when they come out, but they are the generic version of the CIEM's I have and they are neutral and stellar. Absolutely mind numbingly good. Been loving music like the day i first discovered good music because everything is like listening to it for the first time, and it's always epic. bass that kicks you to the curb when it needs to, and yet still extremely clear and crisp in the mids and highs during that and all other times. Only bad part is my bad recordings all get too revealed. I have taken all my music to lossless mainly.

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I looked up the ASG-1 and it sounds like it has the grunt, but I don't know how I feel about having to EQ a $300 pair of headphones to get an adequate amount of treble.

I think you'd be better off with the Vsonic GR07 for metal. It has bar none the best drums I've heard (the snare snap is just delicious), the guitar crunch is like a dry bowl of raisin bran crunch, and it's damn fast too so it can keep up with the double kicks. Best of all, it has enough sub-bass to rattle your head a bit. Read up on it.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #13 of 13
I'll consider them, thanks for suggestion.  Assuming I could get impressions for less than $100, I could feasibly afford the Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200, which joker rated quite highly.  It might not have the grunt that I'm looking for, but they look like they make music pretty well, and the prospect of owning a set of CIEMs is very appealing.  Anyone have thoughts on the CTM-200s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back