Looking for some headphones... or headsets... for gaming
Jun 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

madscientsit24

New Head-Fier
Hello all, new user here and new to quality headphones too. Been looking through the forum and found it interesting. Especially since I'm looking for a set right now. 

Looking for some headphones, no more than $120, for music, movies, and gaming (all platforms). The usual. More than anything though, gaming (I would appreciate enough bass to make movies, single player campaigns, explosions, etc. enjoyable, but also enough to make online play clear). I'd also prefer if the headphones weren't open so that people around me could hear what I'm hearing (don't want to bother anyone...). Some portability would be nice too, but not necessary.

Now, I was hoping I could be recommended a good set. Currently, I've been looking at the following headphones/headsets:

Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Steel Series Siberia V2
Sennheiser HD555
Sennheiser PC350
Razer Carcharias
Turtle Beach HPX

Almost everyone recommends the AD700, and I'm leaning towards those more than any other. However, the light bass is keeping me from getting it. (These are open too, and too big to be used portably. But I'm willing to forgo that because of its reported quality for price.)

I've read that the Siberia V2 is pretty good. More bass than the AD700. I also like the retractable adjustable microphone (great for portability). However, I noticed that a lot of people in this forum brush it off without even stating if they've tried it or not, just because its SteelSeries (apparently they suck automatically for almost everyone here, just because they make gaming products). I'd like to hear some opinions and comparisons on head-fiers who have actually used this headset. I mean it has 50mm drivers, and a range from 10 Hz to 28 KHz. Not too bad no? (I know these numbers aren't everything though...)

The Sennheiser HD555 are cheap, can be modded to be like a HD595 (I've only heard of the advantages, what disadvantages does this have? Does it make it an open headphone or what?), and are probably the second best on my list in terms of quality. But how is the bass? Will I enjoy explosions with it? I think these are light in bass too, not as much as the AD700 though, not sure.

Razer Carcharias and Sennheiser PC350... meh. I can't remove the microphone so its not really portable. I think, from what I've read, that the Siberias V2 > Carcharias, and the AD700 > PC350. Plus, generally, this forum doesn't like headsets...

Finally, the HPX is a surround sound headset which means that it probably won't provide the greatest music listening experience.

Any other suggestions under $120 would be greatly appreciated. I can max at $150, but thats pushing it. I've heard some good things about the Creative Auviva LIve! and some JVC RX900 too. These any better or worse than the ones I mentioned? Thanks to all who reply!

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 33
A lot of people use the AD700s for gaming. I use my Sony MDR-V6's and love them, but I only PC game from my amp, so it's kinda of a given

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 33
Hm... What about the ATH A700's? I just picked up a pair for my dad, should be arriving soon. I have heard good things... and bad about them. Mainly the construction quality as well as the materials used can be a bit shoddy, but overall it should work for what you need it to, Movies and Gaming. They're a closed set so bass shouldn't be a problem... Unless of course you're a basshead, but apparently from various reviews, the sound stage is excellent for a closed set. They do leak a bit from what I've read, but not as much as the AD700s. Easy to drive as well. Just a consideration. 

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 33

Quote:
Hm... What about the ATH A700's? I just picked up a pair for my dad, should be arriving soon. I have heard good things... and bad about them. Mainly the construction quality as well as the materials used can be a bit shoddy, but overall it should work for what you need it to, Movies and Gaming. They're a closed set so bass shouldn't be a problem... Unless of course you're a basshead, but apparently from various reviews, the sound stage is excellent for a closed set. They do leak a bit from what I've read, but not as much as the AD700s. Easy to drive as well. Just a consideration. 

Closed cans don't always necessarily have large bass quantity, though the A700 likely does. I distinctly remember hearing their soundstage was miniscule back when I was researching gaming cans.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 33
Thanks for all the replies people. I've heard of the A700s. Read that their not quite as good as the AD700s. However, I haven't really researched them a lot, so I'll give it a quick check. How would these compare to the AD700s and the HD555? Also, I'm not necessarily a basshead, but I would appreciate a kick of some sort from explosions and stuff like that. Simply put, I've heard that the AD700s lack this kick.

Quote:
Under $120, it's pretty much just the usual AD700 and HD555.

How does the HD555 compare to the AD700s and vice-versa? And anyone on Siberias V2? Anyone? Thanks again people.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies people. I've heard of the A700s. Read that their not quite as good as the AD700s. However, I haven't really researched them a lot, so I'll give it a quick check. How would these compare to the AD700s and the HD555? Also, I'm not necessarily a basshead, but I would appreciate a kick of some sort from explosions and stuff like that. Simply put, I've heard that the AD700s lack this kick.

How does the HD555 compare to the AD700s and vice-versa? And anyone on Siberias V2? Anyone? Thanks again people.

Dunno about the Siberias. The AD700 is bass anemic and the HD555 is (IIRC) bass light. The AD700 is an absolutely incredible competitive gaming can, though I would never use it for single player. The HD555 is worse for MP and a bit better for SP.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 33
Ok, that sounds interesting, what about the sound stage and clarity compared to the AD700s? Just the fact that it has more bass makes me want it more than the AD700s, however, there's more to consider. Also, do you know anything about the HD555 mods? The effect that it has on the headphones or anything like that?

Edit: Looks like the HD555 are also open-back headphones, probably have too little bass as well... Do open-back headphones generally have weak bass? Makes me want the Siberia V2 more now...

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 33

Quote:
Ok, that sounds interesting, what about the sound stage and clarity compared to the AD700s? Just the fact that it has more bass makes me want it more than the AD700s, however, there's more to consider. Also, do you know anything about the HD555 mods? The effect that it has on the headphones or anything like that?

The AD700 has very good clarity for the price, definitely superior to the 555. The soundstage of the AD700 is absolutely massive, bested in size only by the HD800 in my experience. In terms of positioning and detail retrieval though, there is of course better options but they are a lot more expensive. Don't mistake the HD555 for a bass monster though, it won't make you feel the explosions like you want to. Unfortunately at this price range, the cans with ample bass are generally lacking overall.

The 555 mod supposedly makes it into a 595. IIRC there are still differences, but it's an easy mod so no harm in trying.

You should look into the Fischer FA-011. I haven't heard it, but if the one review is to be believed, they'd be perfect: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545368/review-fischer-audio-fa-011-off-the-deep-end

Open cans generally do have less bass QUANTITY, yes, at least before the flagships. There are exceptions, however, like that FA-011, and the DT990.

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 33
Ok after some more research, I've narrowed it down to the following:

Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Fischer FA-011
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80

Now, I've eliminated the HD555 becuase the AD700 is, apparently, just plainly better than it (and the HD595). This seems to be the general consensus. Bass gain from either Sennheiser is also limited  any ways. Then Alghazanth suggested the Fischers. Thanks for your help so  far by the way. These sound interesting. However, I can't find enough info and comparisons on it. I've also read great things about the DT770 Pro 80 as a good gaming headphone with good bass. Plus, I can get them near $150. Quite a stretch though.... I believe I would need an amp to power these if I wanted to use them on a pc/ps3/xbox360/phone though, right? If so, thats a  negative in portability.

Edit: the suggested amp makes a DT770 project more expensive so thats probably a no go...

Honestly, I'm just looking for something with the quality of the AD700 with more bass. Seems to be hard to come by at such a low budget. 

What about the JVC RX900 (can be modded significantly, apparently) and the Creative Aurvana Live!?

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
Ok after some more research, I've narrowed it down to the following:

Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Fischer FA-011
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80

Now, I've eliminated the HD555 becuase the AD700 is, apparently, just plainly better than it (and the HD595). This seems to be the general consensus. Bass gain from either Sennheiser is also limited  any ways. Then Alghazanth suggested the Fischers. Thanks for your help so  far by the way. These sound interesting. However, I can't find enough info and comparisons on it. I've also read great things about the DT770 Pro 80 as a good gaming headphone with good bass. Plus, I can get them near $150. Quite a stretch though.... I believe I would need an amp to power these if I wanted to use them on a pc/ps3/xbox360/phone though, right? If so, thats a  negative in portability.

Edit: the suggested amp makes a DT770 project more expensive so thats probably a no go...

Honestly, I'm just looking for something with the quality of the AD700 with more bass. Seems to be hard to come by at such a low budget. 

What about the JVC RX900 (can be modded significantly, apparently) and the Creative Aurvana Live!?

It is indeed, and no problem. The DT770 pro 80 supposedly has strong bass but is too muddy/overpowering for competitive gaming. You don't necessarily need an amp for any of these, I used cans like the T1 and HD800 straight through my mixamp 5.8 and they sound incredible. It would definitely benefit from another amp being connected, but it's not necessary for most cans and I hate wires running across the room when I'm console gaming.

The JVC RX900 and CAL are good low budget options but neither is as good as the AD700. On this budget, I would go for the FA011 as if the impressions in the main thread are to be trusted, it's exactly what you're looking for. If you don't like it you can just return it and get the AD700.

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #14 of 33
Thanks for your suggestions thus far. I read up on the Fischers a bit more and I gotta say, they do sound like they would be exactly what I want. However, comfort (a common complaint) and an amp requirement (not really, but apparently its just much better with one than without) is keeping me from fully purchasing them. I'm still considering the AD700, but I'm also starting to consider the Superlux 668B, which is reportedly as good as a AD700, and cheaper. Also heard them compared to DT990s. How come I haven't heard more about these? Gotta look into it some more, but I'm intrigued. These, along with the Fischers, can be slightly modded for a better experience in terms of comfort and/or sound too.

This is what I'm looking at now:
Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Fischer Audio FA-011
Superlux HD-668B
And some other Superlux

Any comments and/or suggestions? Keep em coming.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #15 of 33

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions thus far. I read up on the Fischers a bit more and I gotta say, they do sound like they would be exactly what I want. However, comfort (a common complaint) and an amp requirement (not really, but apparently its just much better with one than without) is keeping me from fully purchasing them. I'm still considering the AD700, but I'm also starting to consider the Superflux 668B, which is reportedly as good as a AD700, and cheaper. Also heard them compared to DT990s. How come I haven't heard more about these? Gotta look into it some more, but I'm intrigued. These, along with the Fischers, can be slightly modded for a better experience in terms of comfort and/or sound too.

This is what I'm looking at now:
Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Fischer Audio FA-011
Superflux HD-668B
And some other Superflux

Any comments and/or suggestions? Keep em coming.

I would just go for the FA-011 and return if you don't like it for whatever reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back