Looking for some closed-back headphones around $150, not really sure where to start.
Sep 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Toxic72

New Head-Fier
I prefer not to have open-backed headphone because I'm normally in the room with two loud people and its hard to hear. I previously bought the Sennheiser HD515s, but I built a new computer and don't have a proper sound card in this one (the motherboard audio ports have a hard time powering the 515's). Ideally I'd like something I don't have to buy a sound card for right away, and a set with decent bass (although people say that the 515s are well balance, I feel like they don't have that kick that I'm looking for). Any help would be appreciated.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 7
ATH-M50

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 7
I forgot to add, I'm mostly a gamer, but I also really like to listen to music, so if anyone could recommend a cheap mic to go along with their headphone suggestion, that would be great. Thanks to all who replied already, I don't know if the gaming comment would change anyone's previous suggestions.

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 7
One way to improve the sound is to get a low cost sound card like the Asus Xonar DG (PCI).
It's as cheap as $20 (after mail in rebate).
It comes with a built in (decent) headphone amplifier, should improve the sound of your 515s.
The  Xonar DG comes with Dolby Headphone 5.1, as most movie DVDs have Dolby Digital 5.1, should improve the sound of your movies, and some PC games support Dolby.
And comes with software OpenAL.

For headphones, Superlux HD-669 closed headphones, well under your budget.

I've heard that Denon AH-D1100 have good bass.

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm have nice bass, but really need a headphone amplifier to bring out the best.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 7
The Denon AH-D1100 sounds great without amplification.

Bass is great, as is the soundstage.Also, they are super comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back