Looking for portable over-ear closed-back headphone?
Feb 2, 2019 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

thegreatpeng

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there, I am looking for a pair of headphone that is closed back, over-ear and portable (better to be foldable).

Basically, I am really into the sound of my ad2000x but there is no way I can bring it to work, so I did some research and bought the se535 for its similar sounding to the ad2000x. I love how portable IEM is, but I feel super uncomfortable during continuous listening, so I think I should get something else that also sounds similar to ad2000x.

So far I have targeted on these two: denon mm400 & b&w p7,what do you guys think? any other recommendations? Please help me...Thanks a lot!!!

Feb 2, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 16
HI @thegreatpeng,

SE535 is an IEM, also acceptable to be called an earphone though technically a different category, not a headphone.
There seems to be a little confusion in what you're after.
There is nothing wrong with choosing one or the other though you say you like one but you also don't mind the other.

Being comfortable is dependant on selecting ear tips which fit well, I would suggest changing ear tips till you get one with a comfortable fit for you.
As a guide, all Shure IEMs use Comply Foam 100.
Crystalline Audio tips also work well so I suggest you look into this.
A good rule to test comfort is to wear the IEM with no sound playing for at least 10 mins & see how you feel.

Work on getting your comfort right for IEMs first then it will make it easier to decide which suits you better as there are so many options to be recommended but all depends on your preferences for sound aside from budget.

Hope you have a great day !

Feb 2, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 16
HI @thegreatpeng,

SE535 is an IEM, also acceptable to be called an earphone though technically a different category, not a headphone.
There seems to be a little confusion in what you're after.
There is nothing wrong with choosing one or the other though you say you like one but you also don't mind the other.

Being comfortable is dependant on selecting ear tips which fit well, I would suggest changing ear tips till you get one with a comfortable fit for you.
As a guide, all Shure IEMs use Comply Foam 100.
Crystalline Audio tips also work well so I suggest you look into this.
A good rule to test comfort is to wear the IEM with no sound playing for at least 10 mins & see how you feel.

Work on getting your comfort right for IEMs first then it will make it easier to decide which suits you better as there are so many options to be recommended but all depends on your preferences for sound aside from budget.

Thanks for the response. I guess My wording was a bit confusing, but what I was trying to say is that I love se535's sound but can't stand having any IEM in my ears for too long, not only for the fit. And that's why I am going back to over-ear headphones. please LMK if you have any recommendation in mind:)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 16
Both of those are solid options. What's your sound preference, as descriptive as possible? What kind of music do you listen to? Is folding a must have?

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 16
Both of those are solid options. What's your sound preference, as descriptive as possible? What kind of music do you listen to? Is folding a must have?

hmmm so I like female vocal and instrumental music a lot, and I do appreciate the vocal being put right in front of me and good separation. I guess bass3 mids4 treble3 with an overall warm sound signature and smooth transition? no need for much of resolution though. if put it in a subjective way, I will say passionate and relaxing?

Being foldable is kind of a must, otherwise, it won't fit in my bag, plus closed-back since I work in a studio where everybody talks as loud as they could...

To make it easier, I should list some of my gears and my experiences with them:
1.ad2000x: love it. everything just about right.
2.he560: sometimes feels too thin, and not enough airy touch on the highs.
3. msr7: dry and cold, hate it.
4. se535: the downgraded version of ad2000x, lacking the atmosphere created by the bass and sometimes too dull. but the female vocal is even better than the ad2000x.
5. fd01: too much of everything...cold and dry.

To be honest I am not really into "hi-fi" and neutral sounding but just want something sounds sweet to me:)

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks a lot!!!!!!!

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 16
Passionate and relaxing.... I think the P7 fits this description better than the Denon. The P7 is a little more fun, while the Denon is a little more flat, neutral and balanced. Not entirely, but more so than the P7.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 16
Gotcha! what about the wearing? does it feel heavy/hot during long listening sessions?
A little. Overall the Denon was more comfortable for me, but the pads are smallish, and may not work well for larger ears. They weren't an issue for me. I returned both pairs after giving them each a fair shake. My portable of choice is the Beoplay H6. While it doesn't fold into a compact design, when the cups are rotated it lyes perfectly flat. I haven't found too many cans I liked enough to keep that had the folding feature. Just the Thinksound On2, but it's on ear that sounds absolutely amazing. I also have the Hifiman Edition S, but if you don't want to disturb others, it won't work. Very few headphones provide total comfort imo. There's usually something, but often minor.

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #10 of 16
HI @thegreatpeng,

Not exactly foldable but since it's small & light enough, Sony 1AM2 comes to mind for your use though isolation is average only so that may not work for you.
Otherwise, Meze 99 Classics or Shure SRH 940 would be better suited for both good sound quality & good isolation for studio use.

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 16
HI @thegreatpeng,

Not exactly foldable but since it's small & light enough, Sony 1AM2 comes to mind for your use though isolation is average only so that may not work for you.
Otherwise, Meze 99 Classics or Shure SRH 940 would be better suited for both good sound quality & good isolation for studio use.

Meze 99 looks really good....too bad it is not foldable. I have considered the 840/940, but saw numerous owner reporting the hinge broken within a year, that will be a nightmare...Thanks for the info!!

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 16
@thegreatpeng,

Meze 99 Classics non foldability is a non issue in most cases but that is personal preference.

Anyway, regarding 940 hinge issues, they don't exist so don't believe what idiots say, nearly all who 'complain' about broken hinges simply throw the headphones around &/or slam them on a desk & wonder why they break, etc.

I suggest still consider them as an option as they are more than likely going to be the only one which suits for value for money & sound quality.

Feb 22, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 16
HI @thegreatpeng,

Hey there, I actually got a pair of NOS 840, thought they could be real good...but the vocal is so thin and sometimes covered by the instruments...not sure why everyone says they have good vocal expressions but to me it is pretty bad (or maybe I am just too much into the thicc vocals...)

Do you have other options in mind? please let me know! Thanks!

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 16
I used to have a pair of Shure 940. Not sure if they would be that good for portable use. They were a HP I used mainly at home at my desk

@blackdragon87,

Shure 940 is a good portable though stock pads aren't the most comfortable in the world, epecially if it's hot weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back