Looking for portable headphones $200
Sep 4, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:
Are you using the headphones for going to work/school? commuting? 
Because i would choose Iem's for that...

If you want to listen at home, but unamped...thats another story. 

Yeah I'm gonna be using them basically everywhere. But I wanted to get headphones because I don't like the small soundstage/in your head sound of IEMs. And isolation isn't really a concern.

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #17 of 35
Would portable headphones that don't leak sound that have good isolation be worse for you because of the isolation?

I think if you gave the HD 25's 10 minutes you'd buy them on the spot, if I had the money I sure would.

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #18 of 35

Quote:
Would portable headphones that don't leak sound that have good isolation be worse for you because of the isolation?

I think if you gave the HD 25's 10 minutes you'd buy them on the spot, if I had the money I sure would.

my words, bro. I did that, exactly.

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #19 of 35
Yup, pretty special 'phones and they dont offer just isolation, portability and durability , sound signature is unique for senn 'phone, very forward sounding with great punch, balanced, its like grado in closed package without hot highs.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #20 of 35
I too recommend the HD 25 II's, they are just the perfect combination of durability, sound quality and portability.
If you want a big soundstage though, I'd look elsewhere, but I can't think of a portable headphone with a big soundstage that leaks no sound in this price range. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:
I too recommend the HD 25 II's, they are just the perfect combination of durability, sound quality and portability.
If you want a big soundstage though, I'd look elsewhere, but I can't think of a portable headphone with a big soundstage that leaks no sound in this price range. 

Well to be honest I don't even know if leaking sound will be that much of an issue. I don't listen to my music at high volumes. Im just wary about disturbing people since I'll be using these in places like libraries. So what portable headphones with big soundstages do you know?

Anyway, thank you all for your input. You guys have been praising the HD 25 IIs a lot. But I'm not sure if they're better than the ESW9s for me. I read a lot about each + comparisons, and the ESW9s have a larger soundstage, better mids, and are less sibilant. Someone said that they just outright sound better (probably a skewed opinion but something nonetheless). But I'll wait a little for some more suggestions before I finally make a decision.

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #23 of 35
I think the ESW9s are a good choice for you as well. I really enjoyed my pair, and my sonic preferences seem to be in line with yours. I also feel that every set of ATH headphones (though that's only ES7, ESW9, and M50) I've tried do very well with female vocals. I wish I could've kept my pair, but alas I needed money and so they had to go.

Keep in mind, however, that I haven't heard many other portable headphones that fit in this price range. That includes the HD 25 II, but I have read good things about those.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #24 of 35
If you wait a few days for my new denon 1100s to arrive, I'll be putting up a review. I'm anticipating something similar to d2000s, but more portable. Anyway, they just came out, so we will have to see.

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #26 of 35
If you want something more durable than the ESW9s go up one notch and get the ES10s.  Better sounding, with tighter and deeper bass, and more dynamic with a larger driver.  Made out of metal, and with improved tougher construction over the rather fragile ESW9s.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #27 of 35
the hd25-1 II seems to be one of the kings of portable small size headphones.  I have the es7 and I'm already loving it, I can't imagine what the hd25-1 II would be like considering all the good things are said about them.  I haven't read any real bad things about them. 

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #28 of 35
I had the HD25 I II, and currently own the esw9a. Both are great portables. No amp required on either of them for running about. The HD 25 I II are very isolating and don't leak. The esw9a are also good in this department but not quite as much as the Senns. The HD 25 I II won't win any style points but they are rugged. The esw9a are beautiful, but  little less rugged. I enjoyed the way the HD 25 I II sounded, but sold them to buy the ATs which I thought would do more styles a bit better.
You can't really go wrong with either of them.

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #29 of 35
ESW9 is soooo hard to find for under $220. I was going to buy them for $218 today from an authorized dealer but they were closed until October 5th due to a holiday. I think it was Adorama Camera which I've never heard of before. Everyone else wanted $250. Even Newegg is asking $299! The cheapest website Buy.com had them for $256. They look a bit fragile and I don't want to really pay that much since it's sort of a risk. I hope the build quality is better then i'm expecting.

Is there some "secret" place to find the ESW9 for $200? I hope one turns up eventually. I won't use Ebay. I'm inside the USA and they seem fairly hard to find for cheap.

I did order the ES7 for a cheap price. I will start there, but I imagine they won't sound as good as the ESW9. I may cancel the order if I can find the ESW9 soon for under $220.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back