Looking for portable headphones $200
Aug 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Magitek

New Head-Fier
I need some advice for finding good portable headphones. I was going to ask this in the other subforum but it seems like IEMs are all they talk about over there now, and I've noticed a lot of you have and talk about portables too, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Build: I just want them to be portable and comfortable. I don't really care that much about isolation, but the headphones shouldn't leak sound.

Music: Almost everything. Rock, pop, electronic, acoustic, classical, R&B, jazz, and hip-hop.

Sound: I just like a sound that is smooth, clear, full, natural, and easy on the ears.
Things I like in particular are tight visceral bass (thinking of drums when I say this), the crunch of guitars, cymbals, female vocals, good dynamics (thinking of classical), and a soundstage that is big. Hate sibilance and dryness/grain.

Sources: I play my music from my Zune and my laptop, no amp.

Hope I'm not asking too much for my budget. Thanks for any help.

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 35
Seems like the best in this range are the ESW9 and HD 25-1 II. Can any owners of these comment about whether they suit my needs? Or am I going to have better luck finding my ideal sound with some IEMs?

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #3 of 35
I have been listening to the hd25-1 for a while now. one thing thats mentioned around that i didn't really believe is how well they isolate. to me they isolate about as well as my re0's, which is pretty great for a headphone. wrt to iems, theres a lot less noise due to cable bumping on them than either the shures or re0s i have.

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 35
With HD 25´s, no problem with sound leakage, and with isolation, too...they´re definitely sufficient in both. And yes, this go necessarily hand in hand (leakage and isolation), IMHO.
I have HD 25C-II, and I could say, that their (passive) isolation is somewhere around 30 dB +/-, not bad for on-ear cans. For all-rounder, go for some of HD 25´s, or ATH M50 (I never heard them, but people here used to really like them).

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 35
Thanks for the recommendation. I've never heard of those before. But I did some searching and I don't think they're for me (heard they're like the ER4Ps, which are said to be cold, thin, bass light)

I think the ESW9 meets the most of my requirements in this price range. Anymore comments?

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 35
The ESW9 definitely is a very very good choice, I strongly recommend it. When I first listen to it I thought I am listening to m50 but way much more portable.

But if you like bass the ES7 seems not bad too.

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 35
Are you using the headphones for going to work/school? commuting? 
Because i would choose Iem's for that...

If you want to listen at home, but unamped...thats another story. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back