Looking for 'phones (Under $100)
Apr 12, 2011 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NeonPirateKing

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, been looking for new headphones for a while. So sad that my SR225S are dying and my portapros are dead. ( SR225 is still hanging on. Cable is exposed near the "Y" which splits the cable) This time, my budget is up to $100. 

I'd like headphones that aren't too big, and are ones i can use most of the time. Durability is a plus. Something similar to portapros would probably do... (My grados are used for night-time listening, when everything is quiet)

What caught my eye right now, is the sony mdr-v6/v7506... How would those do? I listen to a variety of music http://www.last.fm/user/neonpirateking. Notable genres include Rock, Post-Rock, Classical, little bit of dubstep and techno.

Thanks for the help!

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 11
First get those portapro's replaced under the lifetime warranty, and then send those 225's to be fixed, then we'll talk about your new amp....

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 11
Heh, the portapros might not even be covered anymore, with the stuff i've done to it. I've never heard of a warranty for grado or anything... More info please? 

Heh, I'm not ready for an amp, i don't have a cc, or anything to buy things online, so an amp is usually out of the question. I'm more interested in a new set of headphones, would be easier to find than an amp...

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 11
It is my understanding the Koss guarantee is NO QUESTIONS ASKED. did you register them when you bought them? You would have to pay to fix the Grado's (with my limited experience with grado's it would be worth it.) I'm sure that you can contact Gary Ali at Electric avenues, He makes the PA2V2, that is about $60 USD and an excellent starter amp, or the Micca store, and they would work with you, I'm sure they'd let you mail in a money order or something. Trust me before I got my first CC I was buying stuff off Ebay with nothing but money orders and the like, so it can be done.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 11

Yeah, i registered them, when i bought them. I'm going to send them in, as soon as i can get a cheque, but what worries me most is that they'll deny it. There are some pictures from a different thread I made about a month ago. There, you'll be able to  see the damage. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545154/koss-warranty-in-canada

Also, thanks alot for your help! I've already looked at the pa2v2 haha. Saw them about 2 or 3 years ago, always wanted to get one haha.
Quote:
It is my understanding the Koss guarantee is NO QUESTIONS ASKED. did you register them when you bought them? You would have to pay to fix the Grado's (with my limited experience with grado's it would be worth it.) I'm sure that you can contact Gary Ali at Electric avenues, He makes the PA2V2, that is about $60 USD and an excellent starter amp, or the Micca store, and they would work with you, I'm sure they'd let you mail in a money order or something. Trust me before I got my first CC I was buying stuff off Ebay with nothing but money orders and the like, so it can be done.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 11
It is worth a shot seeing if they'll warranty, Gary himself likes the Portapro's Email him, I'm sure he'll work with you.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 11
Yeah, definitely worth a shot... Not much to lose, right? Just need to get a cheque first, then i can start thinking about a portable amp. Also, you have a pretty impressive set of headphones!

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks, I have ordered the Sony Z1000's but they wont arrive until June
triportsad.gif
after that I'm buying the HD600's and then I'm going to the Dark side; IEM's and I think I'm going to stay there for a while.
Anyway if you can come up with ~80 USD and save it, wait until the Fostex T50RP's are in stock again, you'll need an amp, but I can tell you from experience they work alright with the PA2V2, if you don't like them you can ALWAYS sell them here (their limited supply always leaves them in demand)

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 11
Apr 12, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, I was told they are NEVER in stock, so when B&H sent me the email I bought 2 pairs. My other pair might be sent out to be modded. They are SMOOTH, SUPER SMOOTH (IME) the treble can be a bit much at times, especially on bright recordings. the bass is neutral (IME), treble is warm. I've been told Modded they REALLY shine. There is a thread; http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/1485#post_7400340 that should tell you all you need to know about them.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 11
Gah, all this talk is enticing me... =( Sounds like a pretty amazing deal... too bad they're out of stock... This is just making me rage even more! Heh, have fun with those! Also, once again, thanks for the suggestions, i'll definitely look into it!

Quote:
Yeah, I was told they are NEVER in stock, so when B&H sent me the email I bought 2 pairs. My other pair might be sent out to be modded. They are SMOOTH, SUPER SMOOTH (IME) the treble can be a bit much at times, especially on bright recordings. the bass is neutral (IME), treble is warm. I've been told Modded they REALLY shine. There is a thread; http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/1485#post_7400340 that should tell you all you need to know about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back