Looking for over the ear headphones for commuting...
Jun 25, 2010 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

spacemanps

100+ Head-Fier
first id like to start by saying hello to everyone on here. Its my first  posting here and just had a few questions. last night i did some reading because i was looking for new headphones and i stumbled upon this forum, and since i am a strong believer in forums for learning i thought id sign up and see what i could learn. 

So im not asking for what headphones to get, so please dont think that. I have however read some of your inputs from other threads and found some good ones, which i have read up on and seam good. 

Let me explain what i am using my headphones for first, i am a commuter (4 hours a day! yeah yeah it sucks, but its a good job) and i listen to my ipod at all times or the radio from my HTC incredible. I have read that some headphones need an amp.. ( i dont know much about that so if someone would like to chime in a add some info about that it would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I WILL USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!! ha) I am looking for headphones that will cover my entire ear. I have the Bose QC3's and they were okay but not great. I didnt like the fact of having to charge that god damn batter and then sometimes id be stuck with dead headphones.. SOL.. 

Music i listen to: Hip hop (classified), Bassnecter, Franti, Pretty Lights, infected mushrooms... etc.. i listen to a LOT of different kinds of music. Not much into SUPER bass stuff but i do enjoy some amount of bass. I have tried all the Bose products and dont really like them too much, plus they are way tooo over priced...

Budget: 150-175

Needs: cover my ear, portable (i carry a backpack, so what ever ones i can throw in a backpack and go), durable, and comfortable!!!! ... cant think of anything else.. 

Headphones im looking at: (i am open for suggestions also)
1)Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones
2) Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones
3) Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones
4) Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones

As a side note, i hate ear buds... they hurt my ears and for some reason i get ear infections like crazy when i use them. 

SUMMARY!

Headphones over the ear
Under $150 (or around)
Very comfortable (long listening periods)
Preferably Fold able and storable in a backpack. 

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 25
no poll results even comon... help me out someee 
smile_phones.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 25
yes.

Look at the HD25-1 ii.

It's simply the best portable sub 400 dollar option.

can be had for ~150 new on amazon/ebay.

blows everything in your poll out of the water in every category.

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 25
right, I found them very comfortable however. Espescially the velour pads. They isolate so well I don't want anything else:frowning2: currently trying to get a used hd25-1 myself, can't afford the ~150 dollar price tag for new ones.

Jun 25, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 25
Sennheiser hd25-1 ii
I can tell you one thing, they will isolate better and leak less sound than the audio technicas
& the shure 440s are more home phones due to size i reckon. 

They are comfortable, i prefer the stock pads but some think velour are more comfortable. When you get them i advise you stretch them out a bit so they dont clamp. Sound great straight out of a source :) 
And very very durable, you cant beat them for portable use.

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 25
HD25 here also. Not the SP

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 25
i went to guitar center yesterday and i was talking to the guy. he said that he wouldn't recommend any of the headphones i was looking at and to go to best buy and get a pair there... What?!

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 25

so ive cut it down to the m50 and the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II... going to jr music to test em all out..

what about a amped m50... any recommendations on a Mobile amp

i say this because m50 + amp = hd25

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 25
The M50 may sound slightly better than the HD25 with an amp depending on what you're looking for, but I would still take the HD25 any day for portable use. The M50s are heavier and a lot bigger despite the fact that they fold. They don't also isolate as well and the cord is too long.

And don't listen to anything the reps at a retail store tell you unless its a specialized hifi retailer. Most of them only know their products by what it says on the box.

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #13 of 25
The good thing about the 25s is that amping is require, they sound great without. 
I would recommend using a dac (possibly udac) if playing out of a computer, as stock soundcards are usually below par. 
But out of an ipod, cd player etc an amp isnt worth the cost or bulk for a little increase

that being said i do prefer my hd25s with an amp but the difference isnt that noticable, and when i go out it just isnt worth the weight/hassle. 

So in summary :p No, but if you really wanna you can 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back