Looking for over ear headphones that are better than Bose for $300 ; please help!
Sep 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

budf0x

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new to this website and have come for advice.  I'm looking to spend $300 on a good pair of comfortable over the ear headphones.  Bose has a pair for $299 and I know that members here will know of better headphones than that for the price.  I listen to all types of music.

Thanks for you help!

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 14
budf0x,
unfortunately you just asked one of the most frequently asked questions on the forum ($300 headphones, not bose).
it's such a broad question that we're not really equipped to help you out too much yet...
so i think it may be helpful for you to get back with us once you've done some reading and know a bit more about what you're looking for...
(closed, open, bass, treble, portable, source, comfort, etc.)

but, given what information i have (your budget), i can lead you here for starters:

http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=best+headphones+%24300

best of luck!
beerchug.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Would you like them to be closed or open?

My personal choice in that price range for an unamped can would be the Ultrasone Pro 750. 

Other good choices would be the Audio Technica AD900, Grado SR 225, or Sennheiser HD 595.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 14
Of the top of my head:

DT770 - 32ohm
ATH-M50
SRH840
AH-D2000 or 5000

Before I became an audiophile and a head-fier, I was into Bose QuietComfort 15, Beats by Dre, & Sony. Now, they are considered beyond a big scrap of monkey crap. I don't say that because I'm addicted to this site and what people utter and advise, but after trying numerous of recommended headphones and asking questions on here, I have finally seen the light.

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 14
I've read some reviews and I'm torn between the DT770 - 32ohm and SRH840.

My main concern after sound quality, is comfort then noise cancelling/leakage.  Which do you recommend?  Thanks again!

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 14
The DT770s are known both for their comfort and for their closed-ness.  However, you really won't know what you like, and *we* can't know what you like, until you've got some experience under your belt.  A bunch of armchair philosophizing audio nerds can only tell you so much.  What I would do to start with is this:  

1. Pick up a pair of Koss KSC75s from Amazon, or your local RadioShack.  They're incredibly cheap, sound simply amazing, and have been the introduction of many, *many* a headphone enthusiast into the high quality audio world.  They should do a pretty good job of tiding you over until you've found something more expensive that fits your more complete needs, and on top of that they'll make an excellent uber-portable pair of headphones for say, working out at the gym, or other places you'd rather not take your nicer, $300-ish pair.  
2. Find a way to audition some higher-end headphones before buying them, either at a head-fi meet (or just through contacting another head-fi user in your area), or going to a store that has a decent selection of *good* headphones to audition (sadly those are few and far between, but they do exist).

3. Don't expect to find the absolute perfect headphones for you on your first try.  You might get lucky.  Some do.  For many of us, though, it can be a somewhat longer journey to the perfect pair in our price range. 

4.  Finally, if you absolutely *can't* be persuaded to wait until you've tried a few pairs, do yourself a favor and either:

A. Purchase from a store that has a liberal return policy (like Headphone.com)
B. Purchase used, through the forums here, so you can recoup most/all of your purchase price if you are unhappy with the headphones you get.  

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi.  Sorry about your wallet.  

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 14
General consensus for SRH 840 is being uncomfortable some people have no problem but a majority do.

Most people find the DT 770-990 comfortable for some the most comfy headphones ever.
But they could also be uncomfortable for some.

Neither are noise canceling you'll hear loud noises unless your listening to them way too loudly.
And both don't leak sound unless again you were listening to them too loudly.

DT 770's do have a nice price brand new now at $184.

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 14
Cute. I have both right in front of me and have been comparing them for days.

Go with the DT770. Clean, energy feel, dominant bass, smooth, and fun.
The SRH840 is excellent as well, but its weight will bother you over time I guarantee it. The DT770 is awfully comfortable and sexy.

The SRH840 seems to separate instruments easily but that's because it's a studio monitoring can. It's easy to point out almost everything in recordings with the SRH840 compared to the DT770. The detail on the SRH840 is about 10% better and easier to point out than on the DT770, but trust me, it's not that big of a deal after you listen to the DT770.  Something is grainy about the SRH840, I think it's the highs. After a while of use, you will come to find out that the SRH840 is just another can, nothing spectacular and fun. However with the DT770, you will notice an energy feel with your music which is why it's fun!

DT770 all the way. I have the 600 ohm version and it's a keeper.

Quote:
I've read some reviews and I'm torn between the DT770 - 32ohm and SRH840.

My main concern after sound quality, is comfort then noise cancelling/leakage.  Which do you recommend?  Thanks again!

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #13 of 14
got the DT770s in and they sound very good except they don't get very loud plugged into my ipod.  My Ne-7s in ear get much louder.  Im sure there is an amplifier or something for the Dt770s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back