Looking for over-ear headphones around $60
Apr 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BanzaiLang

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been reading around on Head-Fi for a while now and the time has come for me to buy some new headphones. I'm looking for something around $60 or under. I'm relatively new to headphone hunting so, I'd like to ask the Head-Fi community for help. I've been considering the JVC HA-RX700s and the Sennheiser HD515s. If you could reccomend some others I would greatly appreciate it!

I listen to mosty Rock, Jazz, Hip-Hop, and Classical. I'll be using these for listening to music and gaming indoors. Portability and looks aren't really a concern. Priorities are sound quality and comfort.

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 7
As someone who owns loves the RX700, I would recommend the Samson SR850 above it for your price range. Given your varied tastes, the SR850 is a better choice imo, and overall it is just better than the RX700, although the JVCs sound signature seems to be a bit more inoffensive from what I've read from others and my own impressions. The Samsons have comparable bass quantity and more lower linearity, while being more forward with the mids and highs, but not harsh to my ears. Also keep in mind that the RX700s have to be modded with at least the simple felt mod to sound close to their potential.

Imo the Samsons are more detailed and realistic in every area of the frequency range, and better all-genres cans, but may not be as "safe" a choice as the RX700s if you think you are really sensitive to highs.

How would you describe your head/ear size/shape? I personally find the Samson more comfortable than the RX700, but this seems to not always be the case.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 7

Thanks for helping, buds.

I'm using it mainly on a computer and sometimes on an iPod Classic.
My ears size is small, head-size is somewhat small and I have a kind of rectangular head shape or is it technically called oblong(?) Hope this helps

Again, thanks so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back