Looking for open headphones to complement current Ultrasone pair, ~$250 price range
Jun 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Potamotrygon

New Head-Fier
After doing a lot of research about a year ago I settled on the Ultrasone HFI 680, which have been great. I replaced the stock earpads with velour which improved comfort quite a lot. I use them for music and gaming on my computer. However I am now looking to buy a pair of open cans to get more soundstage, something more neutral, and hopefully just plain better sound quality. I listen to a lot more instrumental/ambient type music now and I'll still have the 680s when I want to listen to something bass heavy. I also listen to progressive metal (Dream Theater) and other rock/metal (Ayreon, Kamelot, etc), electronic (Glitch Mob, Pendulum, etc), sometimes some ****ty pop (omg so catchy).

One problem I've had with the Ultrasones in the past is pretty major sibilance on some tracks, but I haven't noticed it lately so it may just be the file sources I was using or bands I don't listen to much anymore. The new pads may also make a small difference, I don't know for sure.

My budget is pretty flexible, but probably no more than $300 total, if I need an amp too. Usage will be at my computer/at home since open air will leak a lot of sound.
I'm considering several models, but have concerns about each:

AKG Q701, but read that it needs a good amp to sound like anything special. Is something like a fiio e9 adequate?

Sennheiser HD598. I have some concerns about build quality, but the price is right. I have read that these lack the signature "Sennheiser Sound." what does that mean?

Grado SR225i. I am worried about the comfort of these. I have read that Grado has a certain sound that can be pretty polarizing, some people love it and some people hate it.

I wear glasses sometimes so it would be nice to get something that doesn't crush the earpieces into my skull. 

Beyerdynamic DT990/DT990PRO. What is the difference between these two models? I have read that they can have harsh treble.

Audio Technica ADH700. My brother has a pair of A700s (closed version) and they sounded good and were incredibly comfortable. But at the price point (only $105) do they compete with the more expensive cans?

Seems like the brands are fairly limited for what I'm looking for, Denon only has closed cans, Shure doesn't have any in my price range that I know of. Are there any brands/models I'm missing?

thanks

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 6
Zombie X and a few others have mentioned that there's an AudioGD product that is superior, but I don't know much about that brand or the specifics of the product. See here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/610878/akg-q701-questions/45#post_8448428

I agree with his/her descriptions of the improvements of quality amplification, I'm just not familiar with that amplifier. My "end game" with the K701 was a speaker amplifier that delivered better than 200wpc. Not at all practical.

DAC stands for "digital to analog converter" and it converts digital signals to analog ones (how informative :p); you'll need one between things like CD players and computers and amplifiers. Most of those devices have such a converter built in, and it's really up to you as to whether or not you take it further than that. There's also amplifiers with built-in D/A converters. And then beyond that, there's amplifiers with built-in audio interfaces (they usually use USB, but some use FireWire) for use with a computer; these are self-contained and just need to connect to your computer and they provide everything from the digital/digital interface to the digital/analog stage to the headphone amplification. It's just a matter of preference and needs. For example if you're hooking up with a CD player and nothing else, you can't use a USB device. If you're just using a turntable, you don't need a DAC.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 6
Instead of a Fiio E9 I highly recommend you get a JDSlabs O2, designed by former head-fi member VoldemortGuy. It'll drive pretty much any headphone out there with a stereo plug and smokes the E9. Suggest you read up about it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back