Looking for not in-ear earphones with neutral sound
Feb 15, 2018 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kukuster

New Head-Fier
Greetings.
So, my question is simple :). Can somebody please suggest a good model?
I currently looking for something like for $25-150, but it would be interesting to know about more expensive models.

To make this thread hotter, lets have some nerd talks about this. :ksc75smile:

Although I cannot say it's unexpected, I'm surprised by how earbuds form factor is being disregarded by mainstream.

Soon after IEMs came out on the market, when IEMs were successfully superseding earbuds, everyone was saying that IEMs are better than earbuds overall. Okay, when I thoroughly tried IEMs for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised by their sound considering their cost, despite one fact: I just couldn't stand as they react on every move of my jaw and almost half of the head muscles. My reaction was: really? what the hell? And when I got a chewing gum I realized that I will never like this form-factor. This crap happened every time i tried someone's IEMs. I cannot be the only one.

So far, I've been told many times about advantages of IEMs:
1. Better sound quality
2. Basically better bass
3. "Sound isolation is very important for good quality sound experience!!"
Alright, I cannot disagree 1st, 2nd is true for cheap models.
What about 3rd? Crap, I disagree. I love music, and I am picky about sound. But, God, really. I still can enjoy and dislike quality of music, I still can take pleasure in clear sound of good speakers and still can get pissed the ****ing hell off of distorting sound with clicks of old speakers as usual. Either I can hear people voices, passing car and office sounds or not. I can hang my earbuds on my ears to hear everyone in the office better, or just make it much more quiet, anyway, I will enjoy the music, and anyway, i definitely won't like clicks and distorted sound. Bad isolation definitely doesn't make me miss any part of the music.

Moreover, bad isolation is the one of main reasons why I like earbuds.
It's often agreeable to meet someone outside accidentally. It's cool to be able to hear someone calling for you.
And you know, just don't want to get somehow pickpocketed in public transport, hit by a mentally faulty descendant of mentally faulty rich guy on car without justice to be done, or simply hit one's shoulder, which not rarely can lead to unpleasant consequences to any or to both. Sometimes it is good to notice someone sick and needs help.
Anyway, I prefer earbuds for outside and circumaurals for home.

So, what do you think, guys?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 3
I can’t stand earbuds as they hurt my ears after less than a hour or so. I don’t tend to listen to music if I’m walking around town for the reason of safety

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 3
I dislike wearing IEMs because I find they're really fiddly to insert and then get the wire bent around the back of my ears. Then I usually find they hurt a little so I have to start over again. By then, I'm usually a little annoyed so don't enjoy the music so much.

I dislike ear-buds because of the leakage (I don't like hearing other people's tish-tish-tish, so I feel self conscious about sharing my music with others).

Outside, I prefer to be aware of my surroundings, so don't listen to music. Inside, I mainly use on-ears for the convenience, insulation, and lack of leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back