Looking for new pair of IEMs 150$ [Update]
Sep 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

fade

New Head-Fier
Original Post:
Hi,

I have damaged my ety hf5's

so im looking for new pair for now, unless i fix them =)

i have on my mind:
Monster Beat By Dr.Dre Tour
Radius HP-TWF11r
Sennheiser IE8 >> some issues with size and isolation?
klipsch custom 3
Ultimate Ears 700
Phonak Perfect Fit + Perfect Bass (Black) filters
Triple.Fi 10 >> are 200$
Panasonic HJE900 >> also 200$

isolation is also a major factor.

dap: sansa clip+
i mostly listen to ambient, jazz, 40s, 50s, trance (techno, psy, goa), classic rock.
i currently own a pair of AKG 324 and like their sound,
but they lack isolation and are prettly dirty (old).
i liked the hf5 but they where light on bass,
the bass was good sounding but a bit light.
im from Israel, so i need international shipping or ebay

Thanks mighty head-fiers!

Models in order of interest :
Phonak PFE
Ultimate Ears 700
Sennheiser IE7 / 6 >> main difference is isolation?
Panasonic HJE900 >> can i use Comply or tri flange tips with them and will it provide a better isolation?

i do need great isolation and from what i have read so far:
im no basshead but i do like when the bass is present
and detailed and that you can "feel it" the slam but not bass driven as the turbines.
i also do like to hear each instrument in jazz, blues and ambient tracks
be it highs or mids
i did like the isolation of the HF5 and i understand its the best there is? i used the foam tips in very loud places
and tri flange on daily basis, always carried them with me

the phones should be also very comfortable as i use the alot

thanks on all the input so far!!
beerchug.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 19
even if im willing to invest more for a higher tier IEMs?
also
The Dr.Dre are available to me from a shop i work at for a reasoanable price ~120$
the most accessiable shop for me is ebay
and from what i have read many of the items are fake
ill look for the hje's here

thanks!

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 19
Fake?

IE8:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sennheiser-IE8-Professional-Earphones-headphones-/170521853452?pt=AU_Electronics_Portable_Audio_Accessories&hash=item27b3e4fe0c
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-OEM-Sennheiser-IE8-Professional-Monitor-Earephones-/150488639524?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item2309d26824
Radius DDM:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Radius-HP-TWF11R-W-Pro-in-ear-Headphones-FREE-Shipping-/220655041461?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item336010bbb5

or someone can help me out by sending me the phones if i order them from J&R?

Thanks again!

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 19
I would avoid buying Senn IE8 from sources that are not an authorized reseller due to fakes. The Radius are not being faked yet as far as I know so you should be safe for them but look at the DDR threads as I believe you can get them for possibly a better deal elsewhere. In fact I just checkked AccessoryJack and they had them for $20 less.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
I would avoid buying Senn IE8 from sources that are not an authorized reseller due to fakes. The Radius are not being faked yet as far as I know so you should be safe for them but look at the DDR threads as I believe you can get them for possibly a better deal elsewhere. In fact I just checkked AccessoryJack and they had them for $20 less.

Price on DDM is without shipping which is extra 10 USD . So it is only 10 less  LOL
darthsmile.gif

BTW, On ebay there is a "BEST OFFER" feature"

also musicaacoustics ( a japanese seller)  selling DDM in OEM version for lesser too .....

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 19
i tihnk ill order the IE8s just for the heck of it
its dirty cheap
and i dont really care about it not being retail

i see everyone recommend the DMM, so i suppose its best =)
how are they for isolation?
i ride on a bike and i need them to isolate quite a bit...
thanks!

ps: no one commented on the UE700 and phonak ?
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/audeo-earphones-black.html?productid=audeo-earphones-black&channelid=FROOG

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
its dirty cheap

but about the other IEMs

thanks!

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/audeo-earphones-black.html?productid=audeo-earphones-black&channelid=FROOG

where is IE8 cheap?
IE8 are not cheap unless you get it from HK and those are not real.

Regarding DDM, I listen to all kind of music, except some hardcore metal and stuff like that. I do listen to lots of Rock though, so DDM is not good for Hardcore Metal and similar genre of music.
Sounds best with melodic, instrumental, Ambient, Rock-pop with acoustic instruments and also electronic music where bass lines are prominent.
DDM bass is very powerful!!!
stay away from it if you like no bass
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
its dirty cheap

how are they for isolation?
i ride on a bike and i need them to isolate quite a bit...
thanks!

Isolation on DDM?
not best specially if you have small ears,  I and many head fi members here mentioned this on radius DDM review thread 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486541/radius-hp-twf11r-review-and-impressions-thread

Of course you will find those who have issues but when I bike I often use comply foam tips and that helps me a lot.
with DDM you must find good/right ear tips and this will solve or at least diminish the isolation.
But it is different from person to person.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 19
The fake Senns have a lot problems than not being retail. They do not have the real drivers inside them or the real cables. It's your money so do what you want but I think you making a mistake buying cheap IE8 as they are almost always counterfeit.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 19
ok =)

yea im kinda scared the DMMs wont fit my ear so im looking for a 2nd best alternative
i suppose the IE8s really are a fake so will skip on buying them
better buy 2 legit IEMs

so #1 is DMM
which would come 2nd best

btw i have a full face helmet as its moto-x bike =D
and from what i have read on the DMM review thread is they sit in a strange way in the ear
will look for a picture of them in an ear

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 19
Not sure what your budget is but if you need something isolating and comfortable under a helmet with a nice signature I would take a look at the Earsonic SM3, they are extremely comfortable and are very isolating. If your in the US there is a US distributor now who also has sales regularly making them more affordable (but they are $300+ to buy). If that is out of your budget although I have not heard them I have read good things about Fischer DBA2 and they are under $200.

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #14 of 19
I've only heard the beats tour and the HJE900 of those listed, but have done plenty of reading on most of the rest. As has been said, beware of Senn fakes. The HJE900s have awesome build quality, average isolation, and lots of bass. I like them for all the genres you listed, though some may not. They have more of a V shaped sound signature, with emphasis on bass and treble, and mids that are clear, but somewhat recessed(not nearly as much as some of those. The beats tour are nowhere near the HJE900s in terms of SQ, from when I got to sample them. They're supposed to be bass heavy, but they barely are. Mosnter's turbine line is much better in terms of SQ, from what I've read.

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 19
Models in order of interest :
Phonak PFE
Ultimate Ears 700
Sennheiser IE7 / 6 >> main difference is isolation?
Panasonic HJE900 >> can i use Comply or tri flange tips with them and will it provide a better isolation?

i do need great isolation and from what i have read so far:
im no basshead but i do like when the bass is present
and detailed and that you can "feel it" the slam but not bass driven as the turbines.
i also do like to hear each instrument in jazz, blues and ambient tracks
be it highs or mids
i did like the isolation of the HF5 and i understand its the best there is? i used the foam tips in very loud places
and tri flange on daily basis, always carried them with me

the phones should be also very comfortable as i use the alot

thanks on all the input so far!!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back