Looking for new headphones under $500.
Aug 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jrodefeld

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am in the market for a new pair of headphones.  I don't really have good audio gear at the moment.  My computer has a pretty decent sound card (Asus Xonar Essence ST) but I want the headphones to be versatile.  I want to be able to listen to them with an ipod or laptop or smartphone as well.  I would prefer full sized over the ear headphones to specifically designed-for-portable-use in-ear or compact phones.  I don't want to have to use an amplifier to drive them.  

As far as the sound is concerend, I want them to have warm, involving midrange and tight, accurate bass.  I know the Beats headphones are not exactly popular around here but their sonic signature DOES represent more or less what modern pop and hiphop recordings are striving to sound like, with LOTS of bass.  I DON'T want the Beats sonic signature but I DO want headphones which can accurately present hip hop and pop music in an accurate way.  Meaning plenty of bass, warmth and "thump".  Not in a cheap sounding way, but in an audiophile way.  If possible I don't want this to take away from detail and upper range resolution however.

I also want to be able to listen to other kinds of music, classic rock, reggae, even classical music.  Basically I want to have headphones that are versatile in terms of being able to listen to all manner of different kinds of music and have it presented as accurately as possible.  Many audiophile headphones seem to me to be targetted to people who listen to their collection of vintage vinyl and SACD's of pristine recordings of The Eagles or symphony orchestra's.  Thats not me.  

At least half the time I will be listening to modern pop and hip hop music and I need the phones to be able to handle modern music as well as possible.  The other half of the time I would be listening to older stuff, more obscure stuff.

And, like I said, I want it to be able to sound as good as can be reasonably expected when plugged in to my Galaxy S4 smartphone.

Can you help me out?

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 5
I think you should look at the following headphones:
Denon D600 (you can find this for $300 on ebay, brand-new)
V-Moda M100 ($300)
Beyerdynamic DT770 ($300?)

My personal suggestion would be the Denon D600s.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 5
Also check out the Sony MDR-1R's, I hear good things.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Sennheiser Momentum might be worth a look. Fits your criteria. You don't say how much money you have to spend though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back