Looking for my first set of cans.
Nov 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cyris69

New Head-Fier
I'm want to start off saying I apologize for creating a newb thread. I just couldn't come to my own conclusion.

With that said I've been scouring the intraweb for a first set of high end headphones.

The only high end phones I own are some Turtle Beach true 5.1 headphones no digital surround sound. They have died and now it's time to move on.

I'm currently stuck using Plantronics C210 black wire. Which have an amazing soundstage surprisingly but just not nearly the power that I crave.

What I'm looking for:

Something I can use for "sound whoring" when playing an FPS game. (soundstage is pretty important) i'd choose music quality vs gaming uses though.

Under the 150$ price range
I'm not a basshead but do like a deep and rich bass when listening to some dubstep or electronica. Or the fast deep beat of some death metal kicks.
I'd like something that does not require amping but if the price is right with amp I would go for it. 
I will be using these mostly at home but would like to take them with me if I wanted to.
Size does not matter for me, I do prefer over ear headphones.

I've been reading up on all things ATH-M50 as a entry level set but the more I read into it I get so much conflicting information on newb hype or good cans. So now I'm back to the drawing board and lost in my search. I'd like to only spend 150 max on a set of phones if they need amped then that would have to be also factored into the 150. I know that doesn't allow to much room but I just can't come to a conclusion and though I could get some help here. I'd like something that provides a good directional soundstage for gaming but also great in the music department.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 13
Boy, I'm having fun posting this link today.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 13
Wow, you really stepped in it when you joined Head-Fi.  Sorry for your wallet, your pension plan, your 401k, your mortgage, your mutual funds, etc.   I joined here about a year ago and I'm totally out of control.  And loving it.  When just 10 headphones won't do...

Having said that, I like the M50.  I modded mine to get a little more mids and it works for me, especially for TV and films.  Very well built.

I have heard the DJ 100 Pro and thought it sounded like a lot more money than they charge. May be a good option and folds nicely for transport.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 13
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm

All you need

Regards

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 13
The DT770's look great but way out of my price range. Darthman if you had to choose would you take the ath or dj100?

I can get a Fiio e6 and the dj100's for under 70 on amazon which is a price I like but still undecided

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 13
Ultrasone HFI-580, satisfying bass quality and impact and more detailed than any of the alternatives suggested here. Also, within your specified budget.

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 13
Why the e5 over the e6? I already ordered the e6 and dj100's and they are on their way. I read that the e6 has everything teh e5 did but more refined and don't look like a shuffle

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 13
Hope I made the right choice with these headphones. I really had my eye on the ATH-M50's but amazon had the dj100's on sale for 44 they are now over 60 the day after I bought them.

I don't know what to expect in an audiophile sense as I have none. I know my 5.1 turtles. This is them http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/headsets-legacy/ear-force-hpa2/237
can I expect them to be better than those. I found them to be freaking amazing, granted built for gaming soundstage and true 5.1.

The specs on them are:

1. Front Channel Speakers: 40mm diameter speakers with neodymium magnets
  2. Front Channel Speakers: Speaker Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz, >120dB SPL+3dB/mW
  3. Surround Channel Speakers: 40mm diameter speakers with neodymium magnets
  4. Surround Channel Speakers: Speaker Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz, >120dB SPL+3dB/mW
  5. Center Channel Speakers: 30mm diameter speakers with neodymium magnets
  6. Center Channel Speakers: Speaker Frequency Response: 80Hz - 16kHz, >110dB SPL+3dB/mW
  7. Subwoofer Channel Speakers: 30mm diameter with high-impact magneto-resonant vibration coil
  8. Subwoofer Channel Speakers: Speaker Frequency Response: 20Hz - 500Hz
  9. Subwoofer Channel Speakers: Condenser Microphone Frequency Response: 50Hz - 15kHz

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 13
Ok so I'm listening to the Koss right now, sound great granted I'm not using FLAC files. Best 44 bucks i've spent on headphones. Also the e6 boosts the crap outta the headphones.

I also use DFX on my pc so it helps a lot with tweaking and also boosts the sound.

Very neutral bass as well. Not a basshead bit still would like more then again could be my onboard soundcard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back