Looking for members who have experience with low-mid end Sonys
Mar 7, 2011 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

dub Beatz

1000+ Head-Fier
Whatsup guys?

Just wanted to get a few thoughts from those of you who have experienced what Sony has to offer in the audiophile world. I'm in the process of trying to find some nice cans I can also use as portables and almost sealed the deal on some D1100s. I want to get a second opinion though. Because I'm not even familiar with Sony's lineup, and my searches for Sony products result in scattered findings, is there anyone who could briefly list or suggest Sony's best in the low to mid level range? Anywhere from $50 to $200. Thanks guys.

P.S. I'm not too interested in the XB series, as I would rather not be seen in public with pillows on my head, lol. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 23
the xb700's are great but semi open Ide get the D1100 lowend sony's are garbage, I know from experiance. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 23
Yeah, other than the XB series, I wouldn't touch low end Sony cans even if they were free. If you want awesomeness on the go, get a pair of REAL ES7, assuming you can handle it's ear torturing comfort after 30 minutes. If I could find any way to make them comfortable, I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. They're better for me even over the ESW9, which I thought was terrible.

Sony just isn't great overall, until you hit the higher priced stuff.

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 23
Go for the denons I testd them out and IMO they were better than the d2k FOR THE PRICE, the d2000 are more neutral but its almost double the price of those and the HFI-580's.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 23
Wow, I'm definitely glad you guys were honest with me then, haha. I literally am clueless when it comes to Sony products. I've never purchased or even demo'd a pair of Sony headphones for that matter. So I'm guessing the MDR-V6 are not an exception? I'm still really leaning towards the Denons. I think they will suit my perfectly. I'm so sick of my IEMs after having the cord tear on me, and untangling them every time I put them in my pocket during class or going to a meeting. I just want some portable full sized cans that suit my musical interests, and wasn't sure if Sony had anything to offer aside from the XB series, which like I said I refuse to purchase haha.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 23
Opinions are pretty split on the V6. I really like them, but they're not for everyone.

They're great portables if you can deal with the cable. They seal very well and are really comfortable especially with the Beyer velour pads.

The XB500s really aren't that big IMO.. I'm happy walking around in my XB700s!

There's also the MDR-ZX700! They look great, haven't seen any reviews though. If they're anything like the Z1000 they should be wonderful. Right in your price range as well..

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_MDRZX700/

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 23
Depends on what you mean by portable? for use with a mp3 player while walking? ... or for use with a laptop while sitting at a library/coffee shop? You posted in the full-size forum so I'm assuming the latter.

I have the mdr 7506 (the "pro" version of the mdr v6... it's exactly the same except for a sticker and gold plated plug). I've had my original pair for around 10 years and they're still kicking butt. But the fat coiled cord makes them bad for walking (mine stay permanently plugged into my synth/pc setup). But if you're stationary and want an all-rounder for movies/music/basic monitoring under $100 -- this is your guy (street price of around $70-$80). I might add, everyone with a v6 should be using the velour pads. They're extremely comfortable.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy any other Sony for under $100 other than the v6/7506 (I agree with you that the xb look dumb and cheap). I've tried the 7502, 7505, v600, etc and still prefer the v6. For under $200, I'd go with a different brand... the 7509 were not to my liking.

For closed cans under $200 I'd say take a look at these 3:

Shure 840: - ~$160
ath m50:  ~$119
Sennheiser hd 25: - $178 - $199

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Depends on what you mean by portable? for use with a mp3 player while walking? ... or for use with a laptop while sitting at a library/coffee shop? You posted in the full-size forum so I'm assuming the latter.

I have the mdr 7506 (the "pro" version of the mdr v6... it's exactly the same except for a sticker and gold plated plug). I've had my original pair for around 10 years and they're still kicking butt. But the fat coiled cord makes them bad for walking (mine stay permanently plugged into my synth/pc setup). But if you're stationary and want an all-rounder for movies/music/basic monitoring under $100 -- this is your guy (street price of around $70-$80). I might add, everyone with a v6 should be using the velour pads. They're extremely comfortable.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy any other Sony for under $100 other than the v6/7506 (I agree with you that the xb look dumb and cheap). I've tried the 7502, 7505, v600, etc and still prefer the v6. For under $200, I'd go with a different brand... the 7509 were not to my liking.

For closed cans under $200 I'd say take a look at these 3:

Shure 840: - ~$160
ath m50:  ~$119
Sennheiser hd 25: - $178 - $199

Haha, actually I'm considering portable the former. I'm using TPGs are my portable cans, but I can see using some full sized cans portably. Like the D1100, or the MDR V6, or any other relatively small full sized cans. Due to them being easy to drive, I don't own a portable amp.

Edit: oh, and one more thing. this isn't really a "RECOMMEND ME HEADPHONEZZZZ PL0XXX" thread, haha. I'm just looking for sony users out there. I wanna know what Sony has to offer in the full sized / low to mid end range of headphones. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 23
You don't want the pillows on your head, right? I seriously wouldn't consider the geeky looking Sony V6 or the other variants of that design for portable use only either. They're hideous, IMHO.

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
You don't want the pillows on your head, right? I seriously wouldn't consider the geeky looking Sony V6 or the other variants of that design for portable use only either. They're hideous, IMHO.

haha, yea kinda

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 23
The V6's ear pads are very thin and they aren't truly "around ear" headphones for most people because of it. They won't seal you from outside noise very well. In my opinion the V6 is very harsh. I wouldn't recommend them. I disagree with you though, I think they look very cool.

Anyway, someone suggested the ATH M50 and Shure SRH series. I have never listened to the Shure line, but I can recommend the ATH M50. With the M50 (and I believe the Shures as well) you have the option of getting a straight or coiled cable. Depends on your preference. I love coiled cables.

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 23
Nah. I can't stand the M50 or the SRH840s. Sorry man, but neither ATs nor Shures do it for me in the sub $200 price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back