Looking for Isolating portable headphones
Apr 14, 2011 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Aliox

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I have a pair of EP-630 in-ears (creative) and i'm looking for good isolating headphones for portable use.
I've already Tried the following headphones :

- Shure 750DJ : I recently purchased these but i had to return them because of their shape once they are put on the head (the top stays straight which is quite ugly) but the sound wasn't bad.

-AKG K518DJ : I've tried them, but there was too much bass and they were overwhelming the mids and the highs.

-AKG K450: their sound is quite good but i fear they won't isolate much for portable use + I heard their cable was very fragile.

So i'm looking for something with a good isolation (closed) and the same kind of signature than EP-630 (Good bass without overwhelming the rest).

Last thing, I'd prefer not to buy an amp and my budget is 100€ max.

Thanks in advance for your Help.

Ps : sorry if my english is bad , i'm french ^^

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 14
hmm, well, the PX200-II is approximately the same size than the k450 so i don't think that it isolates better.
For the Shure 440 , i think it has the same structure than the 750dj, so it's not for me.

Thanks for the answer though.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 14
|joker| has a thread with lots of portables reviewed.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 14
Yes , i've already seen his thread but i don't find any of the headphones in my budget  (Tier B in his thread) interesting. In fact most of them aren't avalaible in my country. for those which are available, they are either too small (= low isolation) or haven't the signature that i want.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 14
well ive only got the panasonic rp-htx7 and i love them, but they dont fold or anything. If you tape up 2 of the 3 holes on the back of the driver they become a lot better. They are cheap, and very nice. Go for them if you want.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 14
bump, i really need headphones 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 14
There are a lot of threads asking for the same/similar things - seems there's a gap in the market for smallish/portable, isolating on-ear/over-ear, good-looking headphones.

I might buy some leaky ones and become a shut-in. :D

May 22, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 14
hey there, i'm back :

I tried the tma-1 from Aiaiai the other day , i was really insteressed in these but i found that the vocals were kinda "veiled" even with some EQing i didn't manage to fix this. However i have  an "clearness" effect on my device that solved that problem but it sounded a little bit artificial.

So i"m looking for something with the same kind of bass than the tma 1 but with a clearer sound. (I'm thinking about "hd25" but i fear that the high clamping annoys me). Oh btw, my budget has increased to 150€.

May 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 14
If you need isolation, look no further than the HD-25

May 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
sure i need isolation, but i think the hd25 has too much clamping for me
triportsad.gif

That's how they get such a Good external sound isolation . I wear them outdoors regularly . For the full sound they produce they are very lightweight & portable.Personally I find the "clamping" or pressure they put on the ears is quite moderate . I can wear them for hours without this being a issue .

Though  I do wear the HD25's outdoors, this tends to be in the countryside in locations I hardly ever see other people . I think I'd get too fed up of the stare factor wearing them in busy locations, other  than socially "normal" locations, like behind a DJ booth .

For walk about headphones in towns and city's and in location near moving machinery,cars for example, I go for the yuin G2a , they provide virtually no isolation.So the music can go anywhere from full on to background depending on the levels of the external sound/noise .

That's why I moved to a less noisy environment .

I Live music 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back