Looking for IEM Recommendations - $150-250, Rock / Metal
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

CurseTheSky

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've been reading up on various Head-Fi reviews and impressions for a while now, but I just can't decide what to drop my money on.

I'm using a set of Klipsch S4's right now. They fit well and they're overall so-so, but I want something with better clarity. I prefer something fun rather than analytical, but would prefer to stay away from harsh / fatiguing highs or overly-boomy bass.

My price range is $150-250. I could go a little bit higher for something that is truly exceptional, but I'd prefer to keep it closer to $200 if possible.

My biggest requirement is comfort. I'm not looking to shell out for custom IEMs, but I also want to find something that can be worn for long periods without hurting. I know this is a major YMMV kind of thing with IEMs, since some people can wear TF10s without any problems and others can't stand them, but hopefully there's a good middle ground here somewhere. I prefer small IEMs over anything that's large and bulky. I also prefer straight-down cables, but wouldn't balk at over-the-ears either.

Isolation isn't a big deal for me. I'll be primarily listening in my own private environment, and would even prefer to hear if an alarm goes of or if someone is trying to talk to me.

Build quality is also a major concern. I have had far too many headphones that end up losing one of the channels after a while. These won't be abused by any means, but I also don't want something that's going to flake out after a year of normal use.

Finally, I'd prefer to do my shopping on Amazon (which means things like the JVC FTX90s aren't an option).

I'll most likely be listening to them on either my desktop (either USB output, or Xonar Essence STX), Macbook Pro, or possibly iPhone / other portable audio player.

Right now I'm considering HF5's (afraid that they'll isolate too much / be uncomfortable), Westone 2's (heard that they're analytical), GR07's, and Monster Turbine Pro Gold's. Any recommendations out of those, or in addition to those?

Thank you. :)

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 44
Since you do not want isolation, why go for iems? Why not get some headphones, which will give you what you want easier?

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 44

Quote:
Since you do not want isolation, why go for iems? Why not get some headphones, which will give you what you want easier?

I like to be able to carry them in my laptop bag. Full-size headphones are too bulky for me to carry around.

I don't mind isolation, but it's not high on my priority list.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 44
+Vsonic GR07 (speed, details)
+Sony ex600 (big soundstage, space between instruments)
+Monster Turbines (bass)
+Etymotic HF (speed,details)
+Hifiman re262 (speed, details, clarity) + amp.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 44
I think the GR07 would do great. It's fast as hell, and it'll be able to keep up with your fastest songs. More importantly, it has the best guitar crunch I've heard in an IEM, so it can capture the rawness of the song. I think the only iem I've seen listed that could beat it is the re262, but it needs good amping from what I've heard. With the GR07 you can just plug it in, and you're good to go.

Good luck!

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 44
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm pretty much eliminating the Monster Turbine Pros from the list due to their inflated price on Amazon. I'm now torn between the Westone 2's for $239 (might be a bit analytical, but supposed to be very comfortable), and the GR07 for $179. Tough choice...

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 44

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm pretty much eliminating the Monster Turbine Pros from the list due to their inflated price on Amazon. I'm now torn between the Westone 2's for $239 (might be a bit analytical, but supposed to be very comfortable), and the GR07 for $179. Tough choice...

If you're worried about comfort, then you'll be happy to know that the GR07 disappears in your ears. I've worn mine for >8hr listening sessions before with no problems.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #13 of 44

Quote:

The Westone 2s are good but might lack bass quantity for rock for some people. The GR-07 are known to be even more analytical. Assuming they really sound similar to the UM3x, I would say go for the Westone 2s.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 44

Quote:

The Westone 2s are good but might lack bass quantity for rock for some people. The GR-07 are known to be even more analytical. Assuming they really sound similar to the UM3x, I would say go for the Westone 2s.

Whoa. The GR07 is not analytical. The GR07 shines with rock, and pretty much every single genre there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back