Looking for IEM Recommendations - $150-250, Rock / Metal
Jan 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #31 of 44
Man, now I'm just torn between GR07's and Westone 2's.

I have a funny feeling that I'd appreciate the sound of the dynamic drivers on the GR07's more, but I also think that I'd like the size / fit / cord of the Westone 2's more.

Too bad the housing on the Westone 4's is larger and may be less comfortable. Otherwise I would probably just spring the extra $200 for those and call it a day.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #32 of 44

Quote:
Man, now I'm just torn between GR07's and Westone 2's.

I have a funny feeling that I'd appreciate the sound of the dynamic drivers on the GR07's more, but I also think that I'd like the size / fit / cord of the Westone 2's more.

Too bad the housing on the Westone 4's is larger and may be less comfortable. Otherwise I would probably just spring the extra $200 for those and call it a day.

The Westone 4s are actually more analytical than "fun" sounding. The Westone 3 will fit the bill better in your case compared to the Westone 4. And, to be honest, I feel that the housing on the Westone 3s and 4s are more comfortable than the 1s and 2s, because the rounder housing does not hurt as much as the "sharper" edges of the 1 and 2. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #33 of 44
Well, I went ahead and ordered Westone 2's from B&H. My biggest reasons for doing so are the cords (I absolutely hate bulky cords with memory), and because I read a few complaints from people with GR07's that lost a channel due to wire strain. That, combined with the fact that Westone seems to have great customer service, made me spend the extra $60 and get something that will be a bit less "fun" sounding.

I'm looking forward to hearing the detail and clarity that the Westone 2's will hopefully provide. At the end of the day, if I'm not a huge fan of the sound signature... well, that's what they make equalizers for. 
regular_smile .gif

Interestingly enough, I was originally going to buy some IEMs for just listening to music on my laptop, and occasionally from a portable player (probably iPhone 4S). Then, I decided that it would nice to be have something that's comfortable enough to work out in as well. THEN I toyed with the idea of using them on my desktop for games as well (which sounds like a bad idea after doing some more research). So, I'll be retiring my current gaming headset - Sennheiser PC-160 - and making way for the ATH-AD700's that I ordered at the same time. You guys are a bad influence as far as my wallet is concerned. 
wink_face.gif

Thanks for your opinions and advice everyone!

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #34 of 44

Quote:
Well, I went ahead and ordered Westone 2's from B&H. My biggest reasons for doing so are the cords (I absolutely hate bulky cords with memory), and because I read a few complaints from people with GR07's that lost a channel due to wire strain. That, combined with the fact that Westone seems to have great customer service, made me spend the extra $60 and get something that will be a bit less "fun" sounding.

I'm looking forward to hearing the detail and clarity that the Westone 2's will hopefully provide. At the end of the day, if I'm not a huge fan of the sound signature... well, that's what they make equalizers for. 
regular_smile .gif

Interestingly enough, I was originally going to buy some IEMs for just listening to music on my laptop, and occasionally from a portable player (probably iPhone 4S). Then, I decided that it would nice to be have something that's comfortable enough to work out in as well. THEN I toyed with the idea of using them on my desktop for games as well (which sounds like a bad idea after doing some more research). So, I'll be retiring my current gaming headset - Sennheiser PC-160 - and making way for the ATH-AD700's that I ordered at the same time. You guys are a bad influence as far as my wallet is concerned. 
wink_face.gif

Thanks for your opinions and advice everyone!

Sorry for your wallet! Nobody can resist the temptation after visiting Head-Fi! But money well spent is well spent! 

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #37 of 44
Maybe, maybe not... I've been running around with a PC-160 headset on my desktop and Klipsch S4's for my mobile needs for several years now. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #38 of 44

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not... I've been running around with a PC-160 headset on my desktop and Klipsch S4's for my mobile needs for several years now. 
tongue_smile.gif

Well, I have the Klipsch S4 but I find them to have too much bass for me compared to my ATH-SQ5. Also, I find them unbearable compared to me Monster Turbines now. The Turbines are good, but they still have a tad too much bass, so I will be upgrading soon and hopefully that will last me a while :frowning2:

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #39 of 44
Yeah, that was my primary reason for this thread. I tend to get buyer's remorse / upgrade itch fairly easily, but I'm trying to tone it down as much as possible to keep on a budget. So, I wanted to buy something that was well regarded and well liked, so that I wouldn't hear the "if only I had bought XXX!" from other people, which would get my mind going too, haha.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #40 of 44

Quote:
Yeah, that was my primary reason for this thread. I tend to get buyer's remorse / upgrade itch fairly easily, but I'm trying to tone it down as much as possible to keep on a budget. So, I wanted to buy something that was well regarded and well liked, so that I wouldn't hear the "if only I had bought XXX!" from other people, which would get my mind going too, haha.

I see, I get upgrade itch fairly easy as well. But do I regret getting the S4s which I find unbearable now? The answer is no. I feel this is actually a good way to learn certain type of sound signature to complement your favourite one. But I have also learned that the only way to stop ungradities is to go right to the top. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #41 of 44
True. I don't regret getting the S4's either - I find them very comfortable, and they give me something to use if I'm worried about losing or breaking my more expensive IEMs. :)

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #42 of 44
Ugh. I just got a notice from B&H that they had an inventory error, so they didn't actually have the Westone 2's in stock. Hmm... now what?

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #44 of 44

Quote:
Ugh. I just got a notice from B&H that they had an inventory error, so they didn't actually have the Westone 2's in stock. Hmm... now what?

Try Amazon. But if you can justify the price, I really would recommend the Westone 3s over the 2s for you sound preference. And it's more comfortable than the Westone 2s, because the roundish shell is more ergonomic than the sharp Westone 2's one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back