Looking for IEM ~100-130 powered by SGS/2 Phone
May 28, 2011 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Owlface

New Head-Fier
Looking to spend between 100-130, give or take a bit if it's really worth it. Primarily will be run off my SGS and soon SGS2 phone, so they need to be pretty easy to drive. I primarily listen to ballads and instrumental pieces, although I do occasionally dabble in trance/hip hop as well. So I guess an all-rounded would suit me best?

I've tried the Image s4, SE210, and CKS90-LTD (reds) before. My primary problem with the Klipsch and Shure options were their build quality. It's been too long and I don't really remember what the sound was like anymore. I have been reading about the SE215 and if I remember correctly, the 215s are the 115 with better housing leading to a much stronger bass presence. The cabling is supposed to have been remedied as well. Coincidentally a friend just recently picked the SE215 up as well and is loving them. The CKS90s were decent, comfortable and the build quality was quite good as well. However, I remember reading that many people didn't think they were good enough for the $120 USD asking price. Asking around, I've also been recommended the Westone 1 and UM1s as well.

When attempting to decide amongst this lot, as well as any others that you guys might recommend, am I basically trying to pick out a particular sound signature that I like? It seems like everything I've listed will get the job done decently well in this particular price bracket, so I'm not sure as to how I go about narrowing my choices down.

Thanks as always.

May 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 18
I went back to some stores today and was recommended the SE 315 as the best "all-rounder" in the particular price range. Reading around on head-fi, some people praise them as the 535-lite, while others would skip over it without hesitation. Have I found the winner in my group or are there other cheaper/better alternatives out there?

May 30, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 18
I read your review and the subsequent discussion on the M3, and they seem like really good bang for buck. The only thing making me hesitate is that I would like to try these out in person if possible. I see that some people are picking them up for $60-$75, is this with a special deal or are there places to shop at I haven't discovered?

Also, how would you rate the VSonics compared with the SE315?

May 31, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 18
I managed to try the M3 today, and thought that they were decently comfortable, but I couldn't quite put a finger on what it was lacking. Something sounded off to me, I will go back tomorrow and see if I can listen to them again with some different songs. For an entry level type though, I would definitely recommend these over the Klipsch S4s to friends who are looking to invest into something better than stock for whatever PMP they are using.

I also managed to find some places that are selling the SE315 for exactly $150. I tried them and really loved the way they sound, and with the price being at $150 instead of the usual $200+ it has been very difficult not to just pull the trigger.

Since there only seems to be the one seller on Ebay with the GR07's thus far, I haven't managed to try those yet. I do assume that they would still be a safe bet though. Deciding between these and the SE315, I find myself leaning towards the 315 simply because I've heard them in person. Would this be absolutely foolish?

May 31, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 18
i havent heard a 315 so cant holp you there.  as for findning something lacking in the M3 it could just be that its not got the big V shaped dramatic sound that so often abouts to capture your attention.  like if you ever see TV's in a shop they have the brightness and contrast whacked away up full to look as dramaic and attention grabbing as possible.

still if you really liked the 315 then it could be you just prefer a midcentric sound or maybe that its a BA.  are you able to hear a PL-50?

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 18
I was reading your review of the M3, and I noticed that you had a 75ohm adapter to go with your listening experience. Do you reckon that my lack of one would significantly hinder their performance? I'll try to go around to the shop again later tonight and have another listen along with the PL-50. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 18
Somehow I find that IEMs which are usually found to have strong bass pair well with the Samsung Galaxy S.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 18
Check out the Atrio X...probably can't try them out anywhere because they are so new, but they are a fantastic set of headphones that work well with Android-based phones.  I've got a Thunderbolt and a Fascinate (a Galaxy S phone as well) and they work great on both.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 18
@mark

I found that the store I usually go to does not carry the PL-50, but I have to go to another one of their branches which is quite a bit further out. Just for laziness sake, if I do go with the lower end segment, I would probably go with the M3. I really want to give the SE 215 a listen as well before making a final decision.

@ iaudio

I actually tried the normal Monster Turbines just for fun the other day since they were close in pricing locally to the SE315, both float around $150 USD here. I found the bass to be very powerful compared to what I'm used to. In addition, it also tends to linger a bit longer as well which to me clouded the rest of the mids a bit, particularly in instrumental pieces. It could also be that the demo model hasn't really been burnt in much (if at all).

What type of songs were you listening to on the SGS to lead to the recommendation for more bass heavy IEM?

@ dbdynsty25

I saw that you had previously used the M3, I'm wondering how they compare with your Atrios X. Seeing as both are roughly the same price segment @(~75ish), do you see one as a clear winner over the other?

---

The more I read, the more conflicted I get, this entry level audio stuff is intense! I think I have arrived at a fork in the road where I can either spend $50-$100 for "good enough" quality, or $150 for "slightly better in certain areas".

Here are the local prices converted to USD using 7.8:1 HKD/USD exchange rate

Soundmagic PL-50 - $58
Brainwavz M3 - $76
Shure SE 215 - $102
Shure SE 315 - $151
Etymotic HF5 - $153

Atrios X and Vsonic Gr07 I have to order from the states, so their prices remain unchanged. I would also look to order the HF5 from the states as they are only 120 USD even off Amazon.

Thanks for working with me through my period of indecision! :D

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
@ dbdynsty25

I saw that you had previously used the M3, I'm wondering how they compare with your Atrios X. Seeing as both are roughly the same price segment @(~75ish), do you see one as a clear winner over the other?

If you're looking for a mostly balanced headphone without a ton of bass, then the M3 is outstanding for the price.  It's still got a little kick to the low end (compared to the RE0 or anything made by Ety), but not quite as much as the AtrioX does.  The Atrio is also more comfortable and it has a better cable...so that's pretty much why I exclusively listen to my AtrioXs now.  

I also don't think you need to spend over 100 bucks.  There isn't a large enough jump in performance to justify it.  You really need to go up to 200ish (triplefi 10, turbine copper, etc.) to really notice it.  In the 100 dollar and less range, there are a dozen headphones based on your sound preference that would hang with anything under 200, so it just seems pointless to spend extra for a minimal gain if any.  

One caveat...I haven't heard the GR07 (and I want to) which is now the flavor of the month around here and it seems like for good reason.  I'm just so happy with my 75 dollar Atrio X, there doesn't seem to be a point to spending double to try something that might not fit the sound sig I'm looking for exactly.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 18
Can I also add the selection of NuForce NE-700X ? Maybe add a comment on that as well dbdynsty25 :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
Can I also add the selection of NuForce NE-700X ? Maybe add a comment on that as well dbdynsty25
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL...I liked them, but ultimately found the fit not that great.  You can't push them in very far because the housing is pretty sharp on the edges.  If I was just hanging around the house, the deep insertion wouldn't be a big deal but I was trying to use them at the gym.  If you can get past the fit, they definitely sound good, no doubt about it.  They are on my short list of headphones I've really liked but couldn't quite work with my ear shape.  :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 18
LOL...I liked them, but ultimately found the fit not that great.  You can't push them in very far because the housing is pretty sharp on the edges.  If I was just hanging around the house, the deep insertion wouldn't be a big deal but I was trying to use them at the gym.  If you can get past the fit, they definitely sound good, no doubt about it.  They are on my short list of headphones I've really liked but couldn't quite work with my ear shape.  :)

See, I wish you can add a comment because I am still very NEW with all these headphones out in this world. I am very curious on trying some expensive ones.
but yeah. the NE-700X fits me pretty well with original ear tips( havent tried running with it yet lol). Agree with you that it doesn't go far deep enough.

By the way, if I buy the Brainwavz M3 and do not like it much, can I ask for a full refund? haha

Thanks for the comment

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 18
Since you're in chicago, just use Amazon.  30 day full refund policy.  I've used it a few times (which may be against some people's ethical values), but it's there for a reason.  You can try out whatever headphones you want that they carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back