Looking for heavy bass IEMs
Nov 24, 2010 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Kooper

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Just as the title says straight and to the point, I'm looking for IEMs with an emphasis on heavy bass, which I personally enjoy.

For comparison, I own a pair of Shure 840s, which I feel don't have a strong bass (still great though) and a pair of DT 770s which I enjoy the bass on. I also have tried out a pair of MEElectronics M9s, wasn't too thrilled with the bass on them.

I just picked up an iPod 4th Gen and want to replace the standard issue buds (which I can't seem to get to fit/stay in AT ALL).

Def not trying to break the bank with this purchase, so something below $100 would be best.

I've heard good things about the Sennheiser CX 500s, but I figured with my budget I should seek opinions.

Thanks for the help and opinions everyone

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 17
Monster Turbine, Hippo VB (variable bass). Definitely check those out. They have great reputations for providing a lot of good quality bass, and both can be found for under $100. Ebay is your friend, but beware of fakes. Check feedback and rty to stay away from Chinese sellers.

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 17
I am not familiar with the full size phones you reference so cannot get an idea of what you like, but I am a marginal basshead and can say that from my inventory of phones, the best bass IEM are the Denon ACH710s. They have very articulate high end and mids, and bass is large in quantity, tight and deep, but not as deep as the UE Super.fi5EBs. However, the EBs are a bit muddy and lack in the mids and treble. The Denons are $150. Below that range, I can say that the Sennheiser CX400-ii are a good set of bass phones. I have not tried the 500s, but have read that there is not much of a difference b/w the 400s and 500s, if any, to an average high-end listener. The 400s cost me $70. The Klipsch S4 have good bass, but mids and treble get annoying after a while. Another bass phone that I want are the Atrio M5s. Apparently, they are very clear and go deep. You may want to consider researching them.

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 17
Hi there. I made a similar thread looking for the maximun bass out of IEMs.

I have the Monster turbines, the SQ is good, but it lacks in the lows. Is not what it is marketed to be. Simply put, their bass is like the CX300, but way more refined, not more bass, just more refined.

I also have the Playaz N1 and they are much bassier. 

Some folks recomended me the Sony XB40EX, so I'm going to give it a try.

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Hi there. I made a similar thread looking for the maximun bass out of IEMs.

I have the Monster turbines, the SQ is good, but it lacks in the lows. Is not what it is marketed to be. Simply put, their bass is like the CX300, but way more refined, not more bass, just more refined.

I also have the Playaz N1 and they are much bassier. 

Some folks recomended me the Sony XB40EX, so I'm going to give it a try.

Try the Hippo VBs. i=I have never heard them They are purported to have much more bass than the Turbines, and you can adjust the amount of bass you want. VB stands for Variable Bass. $80 from Ebay or unclewilsons.com.

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Try the Hippo VBs. i=I have never heard them They are purported to have much more bass than the Turbines, and you can adjust the amount of bass you want. VB stands for Variable Bass. $80 from Ebay or unclewilsons.com.

The VB has a lot of sub-bass and very linear bass response but usually when people ask for 'bassy' earphones they are referring to the conventional mid-bass hump which the VB doesn't really deliver. 

The XB40EX quite possibly has the most bass an in-ear can deliver but it suffers across the rest of the range and the weird form factor can lead to fitting issues. Another cheap bass monster with a friendlier fit is the TDK EB900, which I would buy at $30-35 but definitely not at the MSRP (which I think is $70 or so). The Atrio is comparable to these in bass quantity but the mids/highs are on another level altogether. Not sure if one could find Atrios (new) under $100 though.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #11 of 17

Because the the Hippo VB's bass boost is so low, I hear it does not bleed into the mids that much on some settings. Definitely check out the two IEMs that Joker mentioned, and look around for some Atrios for $100, though I doubt you will find any. I checked Ebay and Amazon, and the cheapest is $150.

Joker,
What about the Monster Turbines? They have a good reputation and you can get the for around $60 on Ebay.
Quote:
Yeah I like bass, but I wouldn't want it to completely destroy everything else.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:

Joker,
What about the Monster Turbines? They have a good reputation and you can get the for around $60 on Ebay.

They are pretty bassy for a set of earphones but someone looking for headphone bass won't be satisfied. Let's just say they are similar in bass quantity to the Meelec M9s which the OP didn't like.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 17
What about the Fischer Audio Eterna Rev 2, that was marketed here some time ago? why isnt any recommending it? it was a god few days ago. what happened now? did another company suppressed the product through the forum members?

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 17
Go get a sub woofer and try your best to fit it inside your earphone it didn't work for me but it might for you 
biggrin.gif
 Jking but for quality I suggest the Hippo Vb I had a chance to listen to them, they are nice 
L3000.gif
 I agree no mid-bass don't no what would happen if you switched bass plates. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 17
You could always try to find a pair of the old Super.FI EB's. I recently got a pair and they are insanely, insanely bassy. With some EQ they actually turn out quite nicely but by default 

Otherwise from what I've heard I'd go with something like the Audio Technica CKS70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back