Looking for headphones under $50
Jan 18, 2019 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ClarinetsRock

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I currently have the Sennheiser HD 201.

However, recently, after having them for a few years, the cable went out and I'm looking for a new set of headphones.

Can you please help me find a good set of headphones for under $50?

I am a musician and composer on a budget at the moment.

I really like a wide soundstage, but I have small ears. I prefer headphones over in-ears or earbuds. I do like over the ear ones.

If at all possible I would like to have a set with a detachable cable and maybe a case.

I like a good balance of lows, mids, and highs. I want to be able to hear every frequency clearly, but for them to sound natural and alive like I was really at a concert. I do like warmer sound, not tinny like many cheap headphones have, but not too much bass where it over powers everything else either.

I will be using these with a variety of devices including my computer and phone.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 5
If you're in the US massdrop has a pair of AKG headphones, they're semi open so they're decent for gaming. But generally its not a bad idea to browse the for sale forum and get the best pair of used cans you can for 50$.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 5
Can you please help me find a good set of headphones for under $50?

I am a musician and composer on a budget at the moment.

Superlux HD330

I really like a wide soundstage...
If at all possible I would like to have a set with a detachable cable...
I like a good balance of lows, mids, and highs. I want to be able to hear every frequency clearly, but for them to sound natural and alive like I was really at a concert. I do like warmer sound, not tinny like many cheap headphones have, but not too much bass where it over powers everything else either.

You won't get all that for $50 though.

Sound-wise the Superlux are kind of like the Grado SR60 with varying levels of bass. Loosen them up and that tames the prodigious bass, but you'll need an EQ to fully tame the treble.

...but I have small ears. I prefer headphones over in-ears or earbuds. I do like over the ear ones.

Hole in the center of the Superlux earpads are a little on the small side but my ears fit inside them, though a little tight. If they're still tight for you get any earpads originally meant for the DT770.

...and maybe a case.

HD330 (and HD660, and maybe all Superlux) come in a plastic case with a label sleeve for retail packaging. Just peel the sleeve and you're good to go. The latch is a little bit fragile but I got mine in a brick and mortar store so I managed to avoid the one in front (most likely it also broke because customers kept opening it to try them on, so there's another reason not to get the one in front) and pulled one from the back of the rack.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 5
Hello everyone!
I currently have the Sennheiser HD 201. However, recently, after having them for a few years, the cable went out and I'm looking for a new set of headphones.
Can you please help me find a good set of headphones for under $50? I am a musician and composer on a budget at the moment.
I really like a wide soundstage, but I have small ears. I prefer headphones over in-ears or earbuds. I do like over the ear ones.
If at all possible I would like to have a set with a detachable cable and maybe a case.
I will be using these with a variety of devices including my computer and phone. Thank you for answering my questions.
Check out the Takstar, Superlux and Samson brands.

Jan 28, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 5
I'd also recommend Superlux HD681 as another option from the Superlux brand. Other than what has been mentioned, I've also heard of brands like Audio Technica (the M20X), JVC, and Shure being pretty good for the low prices they offer.

Have you ever used or did some research on Chinese brands? It's interesting how the can sell phones with premium features at budget prices. It's just the same with the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back