Looking for headphones for a christmas present, got some criterias, need help
Nov 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

batteripakke

New Head-Fier
[size=small] Hey guys. My mom and I are thinking of buying my stepdad a nice pair of cans for christmas, as he travels a lot.[/size]

[size=small] She saw the B&W P5s in a magazine ad, and asked me if they were good, or if I could find something better. I'm pretty sure I can find something better, but there are some criterias.[/size]

[size=small]
  1. They have to look good, at least not ugly
  2. Not too large, will be used on the go
  3. Comy, able to be used for long periods of time (he doesn't use glasses though)
  4. Obviously good sound, can be used without any amps or such on phones
  5. Not looking for perfect, balanced and clear sound, but a bit bassy and sound that is fun listening to
  6. He mainly listens to rap and hip hop
  7. Good noise cancellation
  8. We don't have all kinds of headphones available here, so please suggest some that aren't super rare
  9. Maximum price level is around ~600 dollars, but remember most headphones will be more expensive here in Norway than in USA / UK

[/size] [size=small] I don't have all that much knowledge about headphones, but a little.[/size]

[size=small] The first that came to my mind is:[/size]

[size=small]
  1. ATH-M50s
  2. Bose quietcomfort 15/3 (?)

[/size] [size=small] Anybody got better alternatives? I created a thread for this because there are quite a lot of criterias, and since they're not for me I didn't want it to get buried in the main thread. Sorry if that is a huge incovinience. Thanks in advance.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 6
https://www.blinq.com/#consumer-electronics/headphones/sony-dr-zx701ip-drzx701ip-monitor-headphones-for-iphone/81733

Their ebay store offers international shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-DR-ZX701IP-DRZX701IP-Monitor-Headphones-for-iPhone-/370687409216?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item564eb0fc40

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 6
The B&W P5 are nice (let me qualify: I don't know what prices are like in Norway) - but the QC15 offer better isolation and imho better comfort and less colored sound. They're a bit bassier though, and eat batteries (they can't be used without batteries). The M50 are a downgrade imho - both in comfort and sound.

Some other options to consider are the ATH-ESW9 (which are better sounding than the P5, imho better looking, but they don't isolate as well), and Koss Tony Bennett Signature (which are a very balanced and clean sounding pair of cans, afaik the DJ200 is the same thing plus ControlTalk).

Be careful if you end up going with the ESW9 - they're one of the most counterfeited headphones ever made. So make sure you go through an authorized dealer. I think Bose will also deny warranty coverage if you go unauthorized (but afaik you can buy direct from their site worldwide); Koss has the best warranties period (lifetime, no questions asked) and ships worldwide from their website now.

If I had to rank them:

SQ: ESW9
Isolation: QC15
Overall Value: Koss

I'd pass on the M50.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 6
Okay, thanks for some for the response. The B&W P5s are still up for consideraton, the price is 610 dollars. They don't seem really comfortable though, any experiences with theese? Senn HD 25-II is not really an option, since he'd want them to look good as well. DJ2000 always seems like a nice choice, but we can go higher than that in terms of price.

The candidates now seems to be:

1. QC15
  2. B&W P5
  3. AIAIAI TMA-1
  4. V-Moda(?)

More input / suggestions?

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 6
Okay, thanks for some for the response. The B&W P5s are still up for consideraton, the price is 610 dollars. They don't seem really comfortable though, any experiences with theese? Senn HD 25-II is not really an option, since he'd want them to look good as well. DJ2000 always seems like a nice choice, but we can go higher than that in terms of price.

The candidates now seems to be:

• QC15
  • B&W P5
  • AIAIAI TMA-1
  • V-Moda(?)

More input / suggestions?

$610?!?! Is that in USD? Forget that! They're *maybe* $300 headphones here, and they're outclassed by most headphones in that price range in terms of pure sonics. I'd take the QC15 or the DJ200/Tony Bennett over that in a heart-beat.

And note that the DJ200 isn't the same thing as the HDJ-2000. I mean this one:
http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/full_size_headphones/PRODJ200__PRODJ200_Full_Size_Headphones

And spending more doesn't always mean more better. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back