Looking for entry-level Grados/Senns
Oct 22, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #46 of 65
I’d hate to put three pages of debate to waste, but I just got approved for my first credit card today (I’ve been hesitant to get one because I know I’m terrible controlling myself when it comes to spending). With my card on the way in 10 days, I’m actually considering opening the door a little further and getting a pair of HF-1’s. The only reason I’m considering this is because of its special-editioness in honor of us head-fiers; so don’t think I’ve bumped up my price limit to $200. What do you guys think?

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
I’d hate to put three pages of debate to waste, but I just got approved for my first credit card today (I’ve been hesitant to get one because I know I’m terrible controlling myself when it comes to spending). With my card on the way in 10 days, I’m actually considering opening the door a little further and getting a pair of HF-1’s. The only reason I’m considering this is because of its special-editioness in honor of us head-fiers; so don’t think I’ve bumped up my price limit to $200. What do you guys think?

Given your preferences, you might like Senn HD580s better. The HF-1 will definitely color the sound, and have an "unnatural" lively presentation without much soundstage... this is the hallmark Grado sound. Honestly, I think you'd like the HD-580 better and would discourage you from getting HF1's (at least as an only purchase).

Quote:

Well I want to avoid coloration, but I don’t want my music to sound dull either. I am for the most part a purist, but a little laid back. My main concern regarding color is that I prefer not to alter, or “personalize” the sound. I prefer to hear music as the artist intended it to be. To me, accuracy is a good thing. I do however, have an open mind. Since I have no experience with either brand or any of their models, I’ll leave it up to your recommendations. As long as it gets me poppin’ and lockin’ I’ll be fine.

IMO, the above almost shouts out for Sennheiser HD-580 or HD-600. I don't think you'll be a big fan of the Grado sound. I'm not saying this lightly BTW, because I own them myself... it would be denying the board a much-needed donation, but I really think Senns might be more for you.

Of course, you could get HF-1's and later get the HD650 as you mention in your first post. But the HF-1 is not laid back, not uncolored and I think not as accurate as the HD-580.

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #48 of 65
Wow, very helpful. Well this is how I feel right now: So far from what I've learned in this thread, it seems that Sennheiser, no matter which type of headphone I get, will satisfy my tastes better than Grados will. In this light, Sennheiser headphones look like they will fit me like a glove, and can be considered a safe-buy. I would still like to give Grado a chance however. I'm not one to discriminate without having tried first. I think the HF-1's will be a good representation of the Grado sound. However, should I not like it, the headphones do not go to waste as in I have contributed a small donation to this forum and I will own a headphone with more "sentimental" value. Also, if I should not like the sound, it will save me a rather large wad of cash in the future since I wouldn’t be purchasing the RS-1's in that scenario. I can get Senns any time I want. The HF-1's however, are running out.

So, how do you guys feel about this?

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #49 of 65
Buy the hf-1s.

(a) you like them, you live happily ever after, the end.
(b) you don't like them, turn to page 42 nah just kidding... sell them at a markup!
tongue.gif

You can't really lose.
biggrin.gif

But in addition buy the 580s.
600smile.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #53 of 65
heck...personally, I would bypass the Grados all together. If you have USD$200 to spend, look at the Beyers DT880. Very good...and some say, almost at the top of the headphone stack. However, hard to help you unless you let us know what kinds of music are you looking into..

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
heck...personally, I would bypass the Grados all together. If you have USD$200 to spend, look at the Beyers DT880. Very good...and some say, almost at the top of the headphone stack. However, hard to help you unless you let us know what kinds of music are you looking into..

I've said it several times throughout this thread... I listen to Dance/Techno/Electronic-type music. I thought that Beyers aren't in the same league as Grados and Senns?
confused.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

I've said it several times throughout this thread... I listen to Dance/Techno/Electronic-type music. I thought that Beyers aren't in the same league as Grados and Senns?
confused.gif

Very subjective of course. However, to my ears, dollar to dollar, Grados is the one that is not in the same league as Senn and Beyers. Grado is great value for the lower end phones but once you climb the chain, you can get better bang for the buck from Senn and Beyers. For example, HD580 has the BEST bang for the buck for about a $140 brand new cans. Very good all around cans as well. Beyer's DT880 has the best bang for the buck for a $225-ish cans. If you listen to Dance/Techno/Electronic, you should definitely have a Beyers DT770 or the DT990 on your list. If you like very neutral but yet an extremely musical cans, check out the DT880. My DT880 is definitely the top cans in my collection right now. Don't get me wrong, I started this head-fi thing with a Grado SR60 then moving up to the MS1 and back then that was audio nirvana...until I heard my DT880 for the first time, my eyes popped out...I got my first audio WOW... Then I decided to use my MS1 at work and my DT880 at home. However, I couldn't stand the MS1's sound anymore...too grainy, too unrefined and the percussion doesn't have the snap. I had to get another pair for work..and I settled on the HD580. Very happy with the decision and have been using this combo for quite a while now..

Also, check out the Sonys...SA1000 to SA5000 (but SA1000 and SA3000) more of your range.

Oct 22, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Grado is great value for the lower end phones but once you climb the chain, you can get better bang for the buck from Senn and Beyers.

Higher end grado's should still easily compete with high end senns and beyers. And of course, this is coming from a member of team Senns(GO HD600)! sionghchan opinion of grado's appears to be somewhat "colored" :0

Quote:

For example, HD580 has the BEST bang for the buck for about a $140 brand new cans. Very good all around cans as well. Beyer's DT880 has the best bang for the buck for a $225-ish cans.

I think we are using the term "bang for the buck" too loosely...

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #58 of 65
Apparently nobody caught this, but I stated in my earlier post that the only reason I am willing to consider spending $200 on the HF-1’s is because of their limited quantity. Other than the HF-1’s, I’m still sticking to my original $70 price limit.

Oct 22, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Apparently nobody caught this, but I stated in my earlier post that the only reason I am willing to consider spending $200 on the HF-1’s is because of their limited quantity. Other than the HF-1’s, I’m still sticking to my original $70 price limit.

damn, you're a problem guy you know?
biggrin.gif

my 2cents (aka everything i write is IMHO): never listened to hf1, but 225 aren't at the level of the dt880 or hd595 for that price (or even the hd580 for less). i don't know about the hf1 improvements, still i would never spend 200$ for those cans, even if they're limited. in addition why spend 200$ in a coloured signature you don't want?

in your shoes i would buy hd497, or at least try the sr60s first

Oct 22, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshpr
Higher end grado's should still easily compete with high end senns and beyers. And of course, this is coming from a member of team Senns(GO HD600)! sionghchan opinion of grado's appears to be somewhat "colored" :0

Hmm...maybe my opinions are coloured in your view, but it is only my opinion. There is no right or wrong in the hobby of ours. You don't have to agree with it ( in fact, it will be really boring if everyone agreed with each other). Also, IMHO, sure, higher end grados can compete with higher end senns and beyers but higher end grados costs more to compete at the same level. BUT...again, this is IMO..and again, there is no right or wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshpr
I think we are using the term "bang for the buck" too loosely...

Errr...how else would you term best bang for the buck? Isn't it dollar to dollar comparison of the sound quality?

In anycase, like I said, just my humble OPINION... Peace dude..

Cheers!
SH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back