Looking for entry-level Grados/Senns
Oct 21, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #32 of 65
i confirm for the soundstage and detail flaws, in fact i wanted to add them in the other post. still i prefer the sr60, ok it can be a little fatiguing (even if i'm a sennh guy, i don't get fatigued by grado) but for me 497's sound it's too dry, even if compared to other sennh i love (595, 650). 497 doesn't get me in the music, it's difficult to explain...

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshpr
If you can wait a bit, you can probably find an SR80 for that price used around here. Its a wonderful set of cans.

Err...he is looking for a neutral cans... as you can see:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
Also, I know it's difficult with entry-level products, but I want to try and avoid color as much as possible.

For all those who are pimping Grados, these are definitely coloured! Not in a bad way for those who are into rock ... but still coloured.

My take is, you will do MUCH better with the HD280Pro if you are looking for a neutral pair of cans and for $68...you CANNOT go wrong with it..

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
For all those who are pimping Grados, these are definitely coloured! Not in a bad way for those who are into rock ... but still coloured.

My take is, you will do MUCH better with the HD280Pro if you are looking for a neutral pair of cans and for $68...you CANNOT go wrong with it..

Ah, thank you. If this is true then that cuts Grado from the list. So are Grado's really a colored flavor? How much better are Senns in this area? I know I must be giving everyone a hard time here, but I would like to keep thanking all of you for supporting me and helping me make a difficult decision.

Oct 21, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
Ah, thank you. If this is true then that cuts Grado from the list. So are Grado's really a colored flavor? How much better are Senns in this area? I know I must be giving everyone a hard time here, but I would like to keep thanking all of you for supporting me and helping me make a difficult decision.

No worries. Well, you have to becareful here. Not the entire Senns line is neutral. Even when you start looking at the HD580/600/650 line, they are pretty good, but even the 650 has a touch of boosted bass. What I've heard is that HD497 is also slightly inaccurate though probably more fun than the HD280Pro. Due to HD280Pro being built for the Professionals (e.g. recording engineers etc...) they are very flat (neutral, or in other words, non-coloured). However, they are not very fun cans if you are looking at thumping bass or a large sounstage. What you get with the HD280Pro is dead accuracy and VERY detailed (for that price) but everything sounds very tight and to some people unmusical and too analytical. It really depends on what you like...when I used my brother's HD280Pro, I hear lots of things, certainly lots more compared to my MS1s or SR60. However, to my ears, they are not as "fun" but accurate as hell..

Hope this helps..
SH

Oct 21, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

No worries. Well, you have to becareful here. Not the entire Senns line is neutral. Even when you start looking at the HD580/600/650 line, they are pretty good, but even the 650 has a touch of boosted bass. What I've heard is that HD497 is also slightly inaccurate though probably more fun than the HD280Pro. Due to HD280Pro being built for the Professionals (e.g. recording engineers etc...) they are very flat (neutral, or in other words, non-coloured). However, they are not very fun cans if you are looking at thumping bass or a large sounstage. What you get with the HD280Pro is dead accuracy and VERY detailed (for that price) but everything sounds very tight and to some people unmusical and too analytical. It really depends on what you like...when I used my brother's HD280Pro, I hear lots of things, certainly lots more compared to my MS1s or SR60. However, to my ears, they are not as "fun" but accurate as hell..

Hope this helps..
SH

are you really sure that 280 are neutral flat cans!?

i've seen the frequency graph on headroom, it's really scary...

Oct 21, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #39 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasyrkh

To my ears, they really do seem very flat. In fact, it sounds flatter than my hd580... That's all I can go by...didn't do any scientific tests or anything..

Oct 22, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

To my ears, they really do seem very flat. In fact, it sounds flatter than my hd580... That's all I can go by...didn't do any scientific tests or anything..

What may seem to be flatness in sound for both HD280's and HD580 is actually its intrinsic laid back sound. With proper amping, the HD580's sound signature is greatly brought out to its fullest potential, i.e., strong bass and fairly neutral treble. With fast music like dance, electronic, metal, these line of cans are perceived as boring because of its lack of "coloredness." However, these cans do have other assets that people greatly enjoy, e.g., great soundstage, strong lows and mids.

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasyrkh

That's deceiving though (frequency response). To sound flat they shouldn't be flat. They're not speakers. They really do sound very, very flat.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #42 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukyfrope
Stuff like Aphex Twin and most Armin van Buuren tracks sound like I've always wanted them to sound.

Do you mean like the sound of feces buring in a fire?...because if you do I totally agree!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #44 of 65
Well I want to avoid coloration, but I don’t want my music to sound dull either. I am for the most part a purist, but a little laid back. My main concern regarding color is that I prefer not to alter, or “personalize” the sound. I prefer to hear music as the artist intended it to be. To me, accuracy is a good thing. I do however, have an open mind. Since I have no experience with either brand or any of their models, I’ll leave it up to your recommendations. As long as it gets me poppin’ and lockin’ I’ll be fine.

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #45 of 65
Well I don't think that detail is an issue with the cans that you're considering. They are all fairly detailed. It's mostly about finding the sound signature that you really groove to imo.
600smile.gif

The forward Grado sound is visceral and intense. It makes anything sound more passionate and in your face. However the Senn sound is more mellow, great for extended music sessions and just chilling.

If you plan on exploring both labels as your opening post suggested-- I would rec the grado sr-60 and the sennheiser 580 (used).

The grado can be found new for $70, typically $50 used. The Sennheiser 580 can be found used for $80-120 typically.

I think that the 580s are a better example of the senn sound than the 497s imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back