Looking for entry-level Grados/Senns
Oct 21, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~AZ~
The 485's are the closest thing that Senn will ever make to a "basshead" can IMO. The bass is great and there is a lot of it but they have a nice sound on mids and highs as well. There is a decent soundstage and are easy to drive. I have never heard the 280's though but I would highly reccomend the 485's.

That's great. I'm not a basshead though. I prefer a good balance; however the original artist intended it to be. Since my music preference tends to have a lot of bass emphasis though, it's important to have headphones that can deliver. As long as it's not overwhelming to the point that mids and highs will suffer.

Oct 21, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshpr
If you can wait a bit, you can probably find an SR80 for that price used around here. Its a wonderful set of cans.

I'm taking my time because I want to make the right purchase. Just me personally though, I prefer to buy things new. Unfortunately in this case, Grados are a lot harder to find on sale compared to Senns. If anyone can find a site that has them on sale though, I'm more than willing to reconsider. Otherwise it looks like I'm going to get a Sennheiser headphone for now.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #18 of 65
here's my experience:

i'm a sennh lover (not a fanboy) , i love the audiophile cans made by sennh (595 that i own, plus 650 and 580 thati was able to listen too many times) much more than other marks...
but if you ask me, sr60 are much better than the hd497.
i've own hd497 for about 2 years, i find it's sound too dry, poor in midrange, and sligthly harsh and grainy in high frequncies...sr60 is much better in these aspects, even if they have their flaws (bright, not perfect for all kind of music ecc), and i would never go back to the 497s

i've always prefered the darker sennh sound, but i think sr60 are the best cans under 100$ (as many people says), and in particular better than 497.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasyrkh
here's my experience:

i'm a sennh lover (not a fanboy) , i love the audiophile cans made by sennh (595 that i own, plus 650 and 580 thati was able to listen too many times) much more than other marks...
but if you ask me, sr60 are much better than the hd497.
i've own hd497 for about 2 years, i find it's sound too dry, poor in midrange, and sligthly harsh and grainy in high frequncies...sr60 is much better in these aspects, even if they have their flaws (bright, not perfect for all kind of music ecc), and i would never go back to the 497s

i've always prefered the darker sennh sound, but i think sr60 are the best cans under 100$ (as many people says), and in particular better than 497.

Very interesting... Do you say this having heard the SR-60's yourself? Anyone else agree/disagree? I'm really starting to go back and fourth now, and it's getting harder the more I hear about each side.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #20 of 65
Another vote for the SR-80 here, very happy with mine. I'd recommend you try to listen to your shortlist if possible before you commit, however.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
Very interesting... Do you say this having heard the SR-60's yourself? Anyone else agree/disagree? I'm really starting to go back and fourth now, and it's getting harder the more I hear about each side.

yes i own a pair of sr60

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 65
Man, I'm getting a lot of good feedback on the SR-80 here, but then getting better deals with the Senns. I'm really building some interest in the SR-80s; I just really wish I could find it cheaper. If I could get my hands on them for the same price, they just may be the ones I end up buying. Although how will they sound with electronic/dance music? I hear grados are best with rock-types, and senns more all-around. A little help here please?

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Man, I'm getting a lot of good feedback on the SR-80 here, but then getting better deals with the Senns. I'm really building some interest in the SR-80s; I just really wish I could find it cheaper. If I could get my hands on them for the same price, they just may be the ones I end up buying. Although how will they sound with electronic/dance music? I hear grados are best with rock-types, and senns more all-around. A little help here please?

if you can't afford the sr80 you should go for the 60 without hesitation, don't think that there's so much difference, because there isn't.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #24 of 65
Hmm, well I'm almost convinced but I would still like a second opinion and would like to know how the SR-60's will sound with my music preference. I would also like to hear some opinions about the HD280's/485's. Looks like it's starting to narrow down.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

If anyone can find a site that has them on sale though, I'm more than willing to reconsider. Otherwise it looks like I'm going to get a Sennheiser headphone for now.

It's doubtful you will find very low prices for Grado's (from an authorized Grado dealer) compared to MSRP. In which case, if your adamant on the price, why not try SR60's? They are similar in sound however I think some prefer the SR60 sound compared with SR80's. You can do a search here and find out the differences... Good luck!

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

Hmm, well I'm almost convinced but I would still like a second opinion and would like to know how they will sound with my music preference. I would also like to hear some opinions about the HD280's/485's. Looks like it's starting to narrow down.

sure, it's important to hear different opinions, it was just an advice in case you choose grado
biggrin.gif

about the 280, they are sealed, i don't like sealed phones and in addition i remember they were unbalanced and lacked in low range basses too. and aren't they out of your price range?
485 never tried. in the end my disequation is: 280<497<sr60

about the electronic music: i'm not a hard electronic music listener, i sometimes listen to infected mushrooms, astral projection and other psy/trance bands. the winner is grado with it's full bodied sound and with a very good bass presence

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #27 of 65
As I stated earlier CNET gave me a few sites selling the 280’s for about $70-ish. I guess it’s a little strange that a $200 can would lose to a $70 can, but these days price has no relevance to quality (i.e. Bose). Looks like the SR-60’s may be the winner. Any objections?

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

As I stated earlier CNET gave me a few sites selling the 280’s for about $70-ish. I guess it’s a little strange that a $200 can would lose to a $70 can, but these days price has no relevance to quality (i.e. Bose). Looks like the SR-60’s may be the winner. Any objections?

They're searingly bright! If you buy them, make sure you have a 30 day return policy!
tongue.gif

They're fun cans, but they can be very fatiguing.

I have to disagree with the sr-60 being better than the 497. The 497 is more detailed imo, and also has a deeper soundstage. And both the soundstage and the bass impact of the 497 are dramatically improved with an amp, while I find that the sr-60 is only marginally improved with an amp.

Now it's easy to find the 497 for the half of the price of the sr-60, and if you already have an amp you're in business.

I'm not a fan of the 280s myself, but they might work with your music.

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahlerfan
They're searingly bright! If you buy them, make sure you have a 30 day return policy!
tongue.gif

They're fun cans, but they can be very fatiguing.

I have to disagree with the sr-60 being better than the 497. The 497 is more detailed imo, and also has a deeper soundstage. And both the soundstage and the bass impact of the 497 are dramatically improved with an amp, while I find that the sr-60 is only marginally improved with an amp.

Now it's easy to find the 497 for the half of the price of the sr-60, and if you already have an amp you're in business.

I'm not a fan of the 280s myself, but they might work with your music.

Back to square one...
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #30 of 65
Well grado fans have no trouble with the brightness and don't find it tiring-- if you're one of them you're in business.

The best call might be to buy all three with a return policy and return the two that you don't like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back