Looking for entry-level Grados/Senns
Oct 21, 2005 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

Riku540

1000+ Head-Fier
As the title states, I’m looking for entry level Grado/Sennheisers. I’ve had a long-term interest in both these manufactures, but currently don’t have the money to truly invest in either. Currently, I’m more set on saving up to upgrade my Micro cMoy to a maxed out Portaphile V2², but since I don’t have any non-portable headphones for my home rig (super.fi 5 Pros as my only semi high-end earphones at the moment), I’d like to get something to just tie me over until I can afford the amp upgrade and start saving for a real headphone/IEM upgrade. No need to start a Grado vs. Sennheiser battle fanboys; I plan on eventually owning both the Grado RS-1 and Sennheiser HD650’s w/ cable upgrade some day. I would just like something affordable to fill the gap for the time being.

That said, how are the Grado SR60’s? Senn HD497/PX200’s? I don’t intend than spending any more than the price of those (about $69), but if there are equivalent alternatives for the same price, those suggestions would be much appreciated. My goal is to find the best headphone for that price that will give me the best introductory representation of how a Grado or Sennheiser headphone really sounds. Thank you for your time and help.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 65
SR-80s. Really that's your ticket into the Grado world. Search, talk to other members, you really can't go wrong for the price!

Trogdor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
As the title states, I’m looking for entry level Grado/Sennheisers. I’ve had a long-term interest in both these manufactures, but currently don’t have the money to truly invest in either. Currently, I’m more set on saving up to upgrade my Micro cMoy to a maxed out Portaphile V2², but since I don’t have any non-portable headphones for my home rig (super.fi 5 Pros as my only semi high-end earphones at the moment), I’d like to get something to just tie me over until I can afford the amp upgrade and start saving for a real headphone/IEM upgrade. No need to start a Grado vs. Sennheiser battle fanboys; I plan on eventually owning both the Grado RS-1 and Sennheiser HD650’s w/ cable upgrade some day. I would just like something affordable to fill the gap for the time being.

That said, how are the Grado SR60’s? Senn HD497/PX200’s? I don’t intend than spending any more than the price of those (about $69), but if there are equivalent alternatives for the same price, those suggestions would be much appreciated. My goal is to find the best headphone for that price that will give me the best introductory representation of how a Grado or Sennheiser headphone really sounds. Thank you for your time and help.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 65
Senn HD 497 or EH 350 (newer version of the same phones) are great! You'll enjoy it quite a lot, and it's not expensive. My first decent set of phones, and just a lot of fun to listen to.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 65
I second those 80's; they are the perfect gateway drug
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
SR-80s. Really that's your ticket into the Grado world. Search, talk to other members, you really can't go wrong for the price!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
I second those 80's; they are the perfect gateway drug
biggrin.gif

Tempting, but I really need to stick to that $69 price range. If I spend any more then I will lose my cause. I know it's only a $30 difference, but I'm still in college and I'm trying to control my spending. Is the quality difference between the SR60's and SR80's that big? How do the HD497's compare? Also, from what I've researched, Sennheisers tend to be more comfortable than Grados. Is this true?

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 65
Oh yes, 497s are quite comfy. They might be a little tight at first if you have a big head, but the headband will adjust itself. Otherwise, they are lightyears ahead of the Grados in comfort. Also, I personally think they have a better sound - not so harsh, somewhat warmer and more balanced, decent bass (though obviously not great compared to say the HD 600). More suitable than the Grados for a variety of genres like classical and jazz.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 65
Well the majority of my music selection is strictly dance, techno, trance, drum and bass, and any other electronic related type music. Another question: about how much burn-in do the HD497’s/SR-60’s need? How much will they improve? How about with amplification? Thanks for your fast replies and all your help.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
Well the majority of my music selection is strictly dance, techno, trance, drum and bass, and any other electronic related type music.

You would love the HD280s. (I hope nobody notices I jock them every post but they are growing on me a lot!) Rock and metal isn't really the thing for these phones, but all the electronic and trance I've put through them has sounded awesome. Lows are deep and vibrate inside my head while the highs are finally starting to roll off and not feel so harsh. I picked mine up for $65 on the For Sale forum.

Stuff like Aphex Twin and most Armin van Buuren tracks sound like I've always wanted them to sound.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 65
Cool - I believe the 497 has better bass (the music you describe seems bass-heavy?) and treble, while the Grado is super-strong in the midrange. I burned my 497s in for about 50 hours, and noticed some slight improvements. However, there were much more noticeable improvements with amplification. The 497s sounded far, far better out of the Echo Indigo w/ built-in headphone amp than it did out of the soundcard's AC'97 audio, and there was another big jump up in quality with the PA2V2. At each step, the bass became punchier and more present and the highs became smoother and more airy. I've said it before - I think these are some seriously good entry-level 'phones. When you add in comfort and ergonomics, I think it beats out the SR60 handily.

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #10 of 65
You can pick up a pair of HD485's for about $75 and I personally like them more than the 497's or the SR60's. All of them are good but I would suggest the HD485's if you can kick in the extra 5 bucks.

Oct 21, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukyfrope
You would love the HD280s. (I hope nobody notices I jock them every post but they are growing on me a lot!) Rock and metal isn't really the thing for these phones, but all the electronic and trance I've put through them has sounded awesome. Lows are deep and vibrate inside my head while the highs are finally starting to roll off and not feel so harsh. I picked mine up for $65 on the For Sale forum.

Stuff like Aphex Twin and most Armin van Buuren tracks sound like I've always wanted them to sound.

Wow, CNET gave me a decent site selling them brand new for $68. Seems like a pretty good deal for a $200 can. So, is this a sub-league above the SR-60's and HD497's? With the price-to-value ratio, the HD280 Pros seem to be the winner so far. Any comments?

Also, I know it's difficult with entry-level products, but I want to try and avoid color as much as possible.

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 65
The 485's are the closest thing that Senn will ever make to a "basshead" can IMO. The bass is great and there is a lot of it but they have a nice sound on mids and highs as well. There is a decent soundstage and are easy to drive. I have never heard the 280's though but I would highly reccomend the 485's.

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 65
If you can wait a bit, you can probably find an SR80 for that price used around here. Its a wonderful set of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back