Looking for budget alternative to JVC HA-RX700's-please help!
Jul 5, 2011 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gmork

Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Lurked here a bit but this is my first post.  I crunched my ha-rx700's and they need replacing.  I have a BIT more of a budget this time around, up to $70, and I'm wondering if there's a better choice compared to the 700's (which I did love).  

They need to be suitable for gaming, which means nothing that's going to be brutal on my ears.  They also need to sound great for a wide spectrum of music-I listen to everything-so nothing geared towards one genre.  I like some noticeable, punchy bass, but clarity is most important.  That being said, "fun" is more important to me than neutrality, especially at this price point.  I want my music to pop; I'm not willing to sacrifice enjoyment for faithful reproduction.  

They don't need to be portable at all.  They will likely never leave my battle station.  I actually prefer the bulkiness of over the ears.  I don't have an amplifier, so nothing with too high impedance.  

Unfortunately, I've found shootouts for IEs and portables, but no full sized over the ears, so maybe someone can point me to that if it exists.  Other than that, I'm all ears.  Is it worth it to look at something else, or at this price point (up to $70) do the ha-rx 700's still reign supreme?

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 13
I don't game, so I can't really help you out, but I'll bump. People really like the ATH-AD700 at around that price, especially for gaming. Maybe $10-20 more or so. Good luck and welcome to Head-Fi.

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 13
I use my Sony MDR-V6 for gaming

Good balanced sound
Good isolation
Good soundstage
Great comfort
$60

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
I don't game, so I can't really help you out, but I'll bump. People really like the ATH-AD700 at around that price, especially for gaming. Maybe $10-20 more or so. Good luck and welcome to Head-Fi.

Definitely something I looked at, but its out of my price range right now =(  Thanks for the help though

I'm also considering the V6's, but I'd like some direct comparisons between those and the 700's

Also considering these Kicker HP541's, but I haven't seen a whole lot of info about them...

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Kicker HP541's  is a   
  is a  is a good choice

Can you give me any specifics?  Can anyone compare them directly to the ha-rx700's or V6's?

Right now I am debating on these four models:

JVC HA-RX 700
Kicker 09HP541
Sony V6
Refurbished Sennheiser HD428

I'm really looking for specific comments and direct comparisons between those. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 13
Ah, the famous little V6s. They look pretty el-cheapo with the small package but you will be in for surprise how good they are.

Comfort wise , the best for me, the V6s fit tight but I feel very little pressure. Actually, I feel good with them on my ears. They RX700 fit good too but a bit heavier and a bit hotter. I really like the " fit " and the "feel" of the V6 on my ears.

Sound Quality: here the kicker, If you like neutral to bright side of neutral sound, the V6 are the champion on good recording.  No veil, no blankets on top, you hear every details your ears wishing for. The RX700 are a bit recessed and " warm" unless I crank the volume louder and frankly SQ are not quite clean as the V6.  Some people complaint that the V 6 are bright. They are indeed but they are not offensive bright. Sound cliche' but GIGO.On bad recording, you will hear some sibilance "s" a bit prominent.

For studio recording,  they are purely good. highly recommended. I actually have two pairs of these little suckers.

I am not good at reviewing stuff. These are just my own opinion based on my music preference and my set up. YMMV.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 13
Listen, give the Fostex T 50RP a try. For $73.00, you may end up with HPs that you will love to keep. Please refer to the reviews here on the Fostex T 50 RP. You may need an amp for them sound good.

Best wish,

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 13
After a few days with the T 50rp, for hard rock, the RX 700 play much louder and the less fatigue than the T50rp. The T 50rp are definitely not for hard rock or complex passage of music. Simple small piece of jazz with vocals or acoustic will fit the T50RP better.

I'll be happy with the RX 700 for hard rock and for under $40.00, they simply cannot be beat. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for all the input.  I decided to go with the Kickers because there's hardly any reviews and I kind of like the idea of trying something new.  I'll post how I like em when they show up.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back