Looking for another Beyer DT990 sounding can but less than 100 ohms (aka better suited for SS amp)
Feb 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 22
Here is my Beyer Dynamics DT990 vs. Ultrasone HFI-780 short report.  I am going to keep updating this as I listen more.  I am not going to do a full write up on this but just finer points.

Using FLAC rips of CDs.  Playing them using Foobar2000.  I am using my NFB-12 via Optical.  My mobo is outputting 96kHz/24bit via optical.  The NFB-12 is being switch to low gain for the HFI-780 and high gain for the DT990.  The amplitude is close enough and that makes it easier to repeat as I switch back and forth between them.  My DT990 are the 600 ohm versions and have been broken in well.  Stock cables on both of these headphones.  At the time of this review the HFI-780 are brand new.

Highs:
DT990 are a little more laid back in the highs but not by much.  The HFI-780 has enough midrange and bottom end that the highs are kept in check.  Almost sounds like they may extend a little higher in frequency or roll off less as higher frequency.

Mids:
The mids are more forward on the HFI780.  That's all I can say about that.  The imaging differences I describe below also make this a big benefit on the HFI-780

Lows:
The DT990s have been bested at the bottom end of the low end spectrum.  The HFI-780 have them beat.  Though I will say the midbass on the DT990 is more forward than the  HFI-780.  So overall it is a compromise.

Imaging:
The imaging on the HFI-780 is much more precise when it comes to instrument placement.  They both place instruments in the right area with the DT990 but the HFI-780 resolution of placement is much more precise and doesn't leave you guessing.

Soundstage:
The soundstage on the HFI-780 is more forward but not as wide as the DT990.  The DT990 almost sounds too wide and slightly stretched when comparing it to the HFI-780.  It's almost as if you took what you hear in the HFI-780 and just stretch it 15+ degrees on either side of your head.  This can be also seen in the imaging and would explain the less precise feeling of instrument placement.

Build Quality:
Similar.  More metal on the DT990 but overall build of the HFI-780 leaves no regrets.  I actually find the DT990 could be a little more refined with its edges on the aluminum headband.  Cable quality is in the same ballpark, maybe an edge better on the HFI-780 except for the connector.  I really like the screw on 1/4" adapter on the DT990, the HFI-780 is just slip on.  It is nice having the short or really long cable length selection with the HFI-780.  Standard cable is airplane, coat, pocket length.  Add on cable is for sitting across the room length and getting up and around at your desk.  It is great.

Comfort:
I mean, come on they are DT990, there isn't anything more comfortable.  The HFI-780 has slightly higher clamping force.  Size extension wise it will lengthen just as long as the DT990.  There is a little more pressure on the top of your head with the HFI-780 due to a slightly smaller width and length pad at the top that they rest on.  Pad is still soft and will probably break in over time.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #18 of 22
Good quick review.

Can you describe which you like better and why?

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #19 of 22
I was hoping no one would ask that, JK

Overall I think the DT990 can be a little more relaxed to listen to but the HFI-780 excels in imaging and has a slightly "W" shaped sound to it.  If I had to pick a clear winner I wouldn't be able to.  I bought them for different purposes. 

I do like the less analytical sound of the DT990 for some music and the better comfort factor.  I like the fun sound and very realistic imaging of the HFI-780.  So pick which you'd prefer and thats your winner.

The HFI-780 probably will soften up a little in the headband so they may loosen up a little clamping force wise.  I have been taking them on and off and letting others listen to them back and forth so they have been getting a lot of use so far tonight.

Just as a side note, if I push the DT990 as far forward as they can sit on my ears (lobes tucked into corners of pads and awkward feeling) I can get a push forward in soundstage heading towards the sound of the HFI-780 but not quite.  I wouldn't be able to stand keeping them in this super far forward position while listening for any time.

Next,

I am going to try comparing these two guys while using my LD combo (DAC_I and MKIII).  This may cause the DT990 to shine a little more and calm down the HFI-780 just a tad.  Probably have time to do this tomorrow.

------------------------

Update,

I definitely like the Beyer with my LD combo better than my NFB-12.  I kinda expected that.  The NFB-12 almost takes some of the fun edge off of them at the bottom and top.  

I know the NFB-12 isn't having fun driving the DT990 after 2 0'clock on my volume knob i start heading to the land of no more power.  at 2:30 till max volume (about 5:30) doesn't change the perceived volume level in my headphones much.  Not the case on the LD MKIII.  It will drive the DT990 till they distort and still have 1/4 turn left. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
Another fact, the HFI-780 is much better for gaming than DT990.  This again comes down to imaging.

Really?  I find the opposite with DT-990 and PRO-900s.  Maybe i'm too used to gaming with the DT990.

Kudos on the follow up and it is often the same exact way I feel about great headphones. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back