Looking for an IEM to...
Feb 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

KneelJung

1000+ Head-Fier
...use with my Clip.

Right now I'm using Porta Pro's which I like, just want something a little different. Most of my music is bluesy classic rock sort of stuff, some acoustic too. My main phones (home rig) are Grado HF2's. I'm open to something more neutral and analytical as opposed to fun, but I think I prefer fun. I've scrolled through Jokers thread a few times, not sure it's really given me a way to go though.

The triple fi 10's seem to be the reccommended best rock IEM, not sure I want to lay out that kind of cash for my portable though. Amazon has them at $178 right now but I think I'd like to be somewhere around 1/2 of that, preferably even less.

Anybody have any thoughts on the Maximo Imetal 590? Joker liked it and Headroom has it listed as one of their 10 best.

The Head Direct Re0 seems like a possibility, it also sounds like it might not be a Grado fans cup of tea. The Sunrise XW xscape caught my eye too but Joker characterized that as similar to the Re0.

Other ones that caught my eye from Jokers thread:

1. Cyclone PR1 Pro

2. Visang RO2

3. Xears TD100

4. Thinksound Rain

5. Hippo VB

6. Panasonic RP HJE900 - This one only because Joker has it listed at $129, and it sounds like it has potential but I have no idea.

Anyone have any thoughts for me...?

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 22
All I know is I love my SR 80s and my newish RE-ZEROs did not disappoint, they have a close-enough sound signature while being more refined at the same time, they don't mask crappy recordings, though.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 22
Hippo VB is very nice with detachable plates which regulate the amount of base.
HJE900 is no longer available at 120 US, it is only sold on Amazon for about 250 or so

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
All I know is I love my SR 80s and my newish RE-ZEROs did not disappoint, they have a close-enough sound signature while being more refined at the same time, they don't mask crappy recordings, though.

Thanks for the reply numbers. My read of the Re0 was that it was sort of analytical and sterile sounding. My read of the xcape was that it is similar, maybe not as detailed but more musical. I read Shigzeo's review and he described them as fun. Somebody else, I cant remember who and what thread likened the excape to the MS1i. Joker gave both of them very strong marks for their sound signature.
I guess I just need to pick one.

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 22
Cyclone PR1 are no longer made -- you would have to luck upon a used one for sale.  Almost the same for the HJE900 -- no longer sold except locally in Japan, I think.

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 22
The RE-ZERO and XCape are easier to drive, I listen to my pair from my Clip+ and the sound is full, while the RE0 are said to need amplification to bring out the bass. That said, the RE-ZEROs hiss a bit with less than stellar sources.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 22
Enjoy!

Let your new Xcapes burn in for several days before judging them. When my V1's were new they sounded very bright, etched almost to harshness, with uneven bass. After 75-100 hours they are none of those - now: nice full bass that is balanced with excellent mids and detailed highs. I consider them very similar to my favorite Fischer DBA-02's, just a little less detailed, but more cohesive.

For burn-in, I set the iPod on "Shuffle All", plug in the IEMs and adjust to listening volume or a touch higher, and let them play around the clock for several days.

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
Quote:
I ordered an xcape.

From where? They're OOS everywhere!

I ordered them from Bugden Audio. At this point I'm not aware of any problems.

Quote:
Enjoy!

Let your new Xcapes burn in for several days before judging them. When my V1's were new they sounded very bright, etched almost to harshness, with uneven bass. After 75-100 hours they are none of those - now: nice full bass that is balanced with excellent mids and detailed highs. I consider them very similar to my favorite Fischer DBA-02's, just a little less detailed, but more cohesive.

For burn-in, I set the iPod on "Shuffle All", plug in the IEMs and adjust to listening volume or a touch higher, and let them play around the clock for several days.

Thanks dfrost. I'm assuming they are probably nicer than the Skullcandy Titans I had. Those were really my first and only IEM's. I returned them to Best Buy and got a pair of Porta Pro's that I've been using pretty much exclusively with my Clip. Not really sure what my expectations are at this point. Something that is not as bulky and cumbersome for portable use and something that sounds good. The Porta Pro's are fun but they can sound muddy. I'm assuming the xcapes will sound a little brighter and probably more articulate than the Porta Pro's. I like the openess of an on ear phone though. I'll be sure to burn them in good though before making any judgements.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 22
I really loved RE0 with rock and acoustic when using the stock, large dual flange silicone tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back