Looking for an alternative to the lack of bass in Senn 595s.
Aug 28, 2010 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

matt1039lp

New Head-Fier
Let me start with exactly what I want to get out of this thread: I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are comfortable, open, circumaural, deep and solid bass, comparable SQ to my Senn 595s, and perhaps a little more forward and engaging sound.

I have owned the Sennheiser 595s for about a year now and really do love almost everything about them...everything but the lack of full and rich bass.  I probably would be content even today if I had not purchased a pair of Sony mdr-v6 from a friend.  I put on the beyerdynamic earpads on the Sony's and they sound and feel fantastic!  The bass on the Sony's are much deeper, and the music feels more engaging to me over the Senns, but I still crave for the Senns clarity and accuracy.  I'm no expert, so hopefully my description is understood.

The Sony's were half the price, yet sometimes I feel that they provide more than the Senns can produce...and it's always in the bass department.  Now, they are a closed design, and perhaps that contributes to that, but the way I feel is the way I feel, right?

So what I'm asking about is a headphone that may blend the best of both worlds for me.  I would prefer an open design with a strong representation of bass.  I'm not asking for bass-heavy...but if you've ever heard the Senn 595s you would know that the bass is underwhelming.  

An example of what might work for me is the beyerdynamic 880s or Senn 600?  I would like to test these out but I don't know where to go in my area.  

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 14
From what I've used, I can recommend the Audio Technica M50's. They have some of the best bass, that I've ever heard on headphones. Now, I can't compare them to the bass of the 595's because I've never used them. I can for sure tell you that they have better bass than the mdr v6's. You probably won't need an amp/DAC for them either. They sound excellent without one. For only around $100, you can't go wrong with them.

Aug 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 14
Aug 29, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the recommendation of the Audio Technica M50's, but they are closed, similar to the Sony's V6.  I'm not looking for better bass than those, I'm looking for the best blend of open cans with good bass.  

I have tried turning up the bass eq settings for the Senn 595s and it sounds horrible.  The bass is always there, it is just very low and, perhaps it lacks "impact" if that is the correct term.  Turning it up just sounds distorted.

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm reading this, and listening to "Banyan-Live at Perkins' Palace" Mike Watts bass is making me grin ear to ear.
I'm listening on HD595's and I feel the bass coming out of my nose & ears & eyes, too!!

No Dac, No amp....Just Musicbee>Xonar Essense STX (NO DSP's)> HD595's.

Maybe you're doing too much processing w/ all that stuff in the path.
I haven't a clue about the quality of the Diamond soundcard, but how do the cans sound coming straight out of it?

I find it really difficult to compare open cans to closed cans, to me they present totally different listening environments.

Just thought of this:
If you have a decent AVR or Stereo receiver, try the 595's through those. Or ask a friend, or go to a BB or Frys, and ask to demo an AVR w/ your cans & music.
I'll bet they'll sound great!

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 14
Yeah, I have the 555 for gaming, but with music the bass is fairly deep, tight and impactful. I use a desktop amp though. What amp are you using? The 555/595 are not bass monsters, but have pretty good bass and are actually somewhat forward headphones already. Now I hate the 555/595 for music for other reasons, but any of the Beyers will be more forward, better clarity and fuller bass, but I didn't fine the Beyers as engaging for rock as the 555.

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 14
HD650 - an open version of M50 with a little less bass, but definitely more than HD595 in quantity and quality - overall the HD650 is a significant leap in overall quality and refinement over both HD595 and M50.  Then you need to budget for an amplifier.  At the moment I can't think of another open can that can surpass the bass presence and volume of the HD650, other than the LCD2s.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 14
I seriously don't get what peple mean when they say that the HD 595 lacks bass. Arguably I'm more of a fan of the analytical sound, but I've never had them feel lacking. Even amped through a tube amp (and a cheap DIY one at that), which generally are less controlled in the bass department, the bass is still deep and musical.
Maybe it's just that I've been using my notoriously bass-lite RE-ZEROs lately, but I seem to have bass pouring out of my ears right now.

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheArachnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I seriously don't get what peple mean when they say that the HD 595 lacks bass. Arguably I'm more of a fan of the analytical sound, but I've never had them feel lacking. Even amped through a tube amp (and a cheap DIY one at that), which generally are less controlled in the bass department, the bass is still deep and musical.
Maybe it's just that I've been using my notoriously bass-lite RE-ZEROs lately, but I seem to have bass pouring out of my ears right now.

Exactly!!

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 14
Maybe it's a feature of a closed can that is not the same for open cans.  Sometimes the Sony mdr v6 headphones just make the music sound more lively and present than the much more expensive and articulate Senn 595s.  I sit at work with the Sony's and am amazed sometimes with how much the bass can influence the song.  So I go home and put on my good headphones and listen to the same song, but it appears distant and less powerful in the bass department.  

I'm not extreme and picky when it comes to these things.  Basically, I hardly notice differences that many people on here talk about, but the lack of bass on the Senn 595 seems very obvious to me.  I suppose it is the comparison to the other gear that I have.  Maybe I'm a closet bass-freak and need a set of bass-heavy cans, but I don't think that is what I truly am seeking.  I recently borrowed my friends AKG 702s, and they're not bass heavy, but they're bringing it more than the Senn 595s, and it's enough to feel the presence of the bass for me.  I also noticed that turning up the eq settings for the 702's bass is acceptable, but doing the same for the 595's is not.  

Thank you guys for the suggestions.  I will certainly investigate those headphones.  

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 14
i have 595s, and for this exact reason i bought some denon d2000s, ive been very happy with them so far

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 14
Sennheiser has a transparent sound...accurate sound...clarity and love. They're not all about putting a subwoofer in your head, they want you to experience a true musical performance, not some colorful crap.

I totally love the mids and brightness on the HD595, sennheiser definitely nailed it. The sound is just perfect and right one. The HD595 doesn't try to pour and show off what it can do, it basically takes a recording and performs it as it was meant to be.

They are different, and if I wanted something with more bass I'd look into a closed can or possibly the Beyerdynamic DT880 or 990 for open-back with bass.

Bass tends to get annoying after a while. To be honest, I used to love bass, just bass all the way. When I experimented and gave time to open back headphones with a lot less bass, starting with the K702 (which barely has bass, probably a tiny hair), I started to appreciate the true sound of music...and now, I don't think I can stand bass for hours of listening because it's written in stone and stuck in the back of my head that I know it's not how music sounds, or it's not was it was meant to be.

I bought the DT770 600 ohm recently, a closed back from Beyer and they do sound very smooth and right on with the bass...but my ears become very fatigue not too long into a listening session...and then I noticed it was because of the bass. I can't listen to headphones with too much bass, dominant bass. One, music doesn't sound right at all with too much bass, two, music sounds very colorful and unreal, and three, I don't see real clarity and truthfulness with headphones that just feed you non-stop with bass.

I totally appreciate headphones with a lot less bass. Sennheiser is amazing, and so is Beyerdynamic and AKG K70* models.

Sennheiser is not for everyone, though.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 14
I wanted to update everyone who might read this and feel the same way...I found a deal on the Denon A2000 that I could not pass up ($190 as of Nov. 2010) and I absolutely love them!  It seems I'm following in omgitsoop's footsteps.  I did not intend to move towards a closed can, but I heard such good things about the Denons that I wanted to try.  I am happy with the decision :)

The bass is deep and impactful, and the highs are crisper than the 595s somehow.  The mids are a bit recessed, but I like the overall sound regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back