Looking for AMP recommendations.
Nov 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sanity

Head-Fier
Hi, I'm rather new here, and am looking to finally make an audiophile set up for myself. I've read many reviews, but I'm very indecisive and can't decide on what I to get, so maybe I should ask here.

I've settled on the Denon D7000 as my set of head phones (probably going to markl mod them) and the Cambridge DacMagic. This means I have about 800 dollars to put towards an amp.

If my musical preferences help, I listen to everything, basically, but most often will listen to the following genres: Prog, Industrial Death Metal, Rock, and Jam.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 6
Since the D7K is already a bass heavy can with a slightly sparkly top end, and your genres dictate speed, you could pair with a decent SS amp. The D7K doesn't need amping very badly, but significantly benefits from it, more so than, say a RS1i IMO.

Synergy is important too. The isn't very picky, and I've seen a few people here pairing with Woo amps. Mind you, these are tube-based. You could also check out a headroom micro amp, which should be a good partner. With the cash you save, you could opt for a better DAC (unless you bought the DAC Magic). I feel the DAC Magic is mediocre, tested one a few months back. Sure, it's a step up for PC-based music lovers, but you could do better with an extra 200$.

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 6
Haven't purchase the Dac Magic yet, but I was still looking around and saw and amp I liked, the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, and then I looked more into it and found those two clones, The Lovely Cube and the Matrix M-Stage. Are those any good for this type of headphone? If there were suitable, I would most likely use that money and get a better DAC, one of which I was eying would be the PS Audio Digital Link III.

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Hi, I'm rather new here, and am looking to finally make an audiophile set up for myself. I've read many reviews, but I'm very indecisive and can't decide on what I to get, so maybe I should ask here.

I've settled on the Denon D7000 as my set of head phones (probably going to markl mod them) and the Cambridge DacMagic. This means I have about 800 dollars to put towards an amp.

If my musical preferences help, I listen to everything, basically, but most often will listen to the following genres: Prog, Industrial Death Metal, Rock, and Jam.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I'm in exactly the same boat, except I have AKG 701 (see my review on this date). I don't know where to begin. I'm guessing tubes, since the (brand new) 701 sounds so thin and lean. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

k701smile.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 6
I really like the spud of my Bellari HA-540 with upgraded Mullard tube paired with the Denon D7000. Beats everything I've tried so far. The stock Ruby tube that came with the Bellari doesn't sound as good as the Mullard tube.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Check out audio-GD. I've bitten the bug, and I certainly hope I love what I purchase. Seems I will, but am waiting for my ears' verdict!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back