Looking for amp/DAC for HD 580
Aug 12, 2010 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to get another amp setup for home. I have a DIY amp I like, but I want a second setup for use while at my PC. I'd be using the PC as the source, so I'm looking at a DAC/amp setup, either a combo unit or separate pieces. I'd like to keep things reasonably priced, but I still want good sound. I'm looking for bang for the buck here.

I've been looking at the Schiit Asguard and the Matrix M, but I also may have an opportunity to get a Goldpoint Headphone Pro for a good price. I was looking at the Headroom Amp/DAC combo today, anyone have experience with this?

What are some other options? DIY is a possibility, although I'm not ready at this time to jump into something like a Beta 22, due to the amount of time involved in a project of that magnitude. The Buffalo DAC is a possibility, looks like a pretty simple project, and I'm also not opposed to building an amp, especially if I can get it as a kit. (Just don't feel like spending a bunch of time buying parts, too much like what I do at work.)

I'd like to keep the whole thing in the $500-$800 range.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 3
I would look into the Audio-GD products.  To start, the FUN will suit your needs (DAC + HP amp).  The New C-2 and DAC-19 would also fit the bill nicely with future proof options.  Second choice is close to the top end of your budget though.

http://www.audio-gd.com/PriceList.htm

I have the FUN and the New C-2 and DAC-19, along with the HD580s....Nice match...

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 3
Well, if you're interested in buying a second Buffalo 32s at the same time ... 
atsmile.gif

you've got a ready customer right here to help with costs!

Quote:
I'm looking to get another amp setup for home. I have a DIY amp I like, but I want a second setup for use while at my PC. I'd be using the PC as the source, so I'm looking at a DAC/amp setup, either a combo unit or separate pieces. I'd like to keep things reasonably priced, but I still want good sound. I'm looking for bang for the buck here.

I've been looking at the Schiit Asguard and the Matrix M, but I also may have an opportunity to get a Goldpoint Headphone Pro for a good price. I was looking at the Headroom Amp/DAC combo today, anyone have experience with this?

What are some other options? DIY is a possibility, although I'm not ready at this time to jump into something like a Beta 22, due to the amount of time involved in a project of that magnitude. The Buffalo DAC is a possibility, looks like a pretty simple project, and I'm also not opposed to building an amp, especially if I can get it as a kit. (Just don't feel like spending a bunch of time buying parts, too much like what I do at work.)

I'd like to keep the whole thing in the $500-$800 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back